Feedback/Suggestion - Find paintings and traditional art in the MP
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 11:30:47 AM
I understand the dynamics of our MP changes every so often. Z does a great job of trying to understand the customer's search habits. However, if I am a customer trying to find real artworks ie. paintings for example, the customer would be hard pressed to find them easily if at all.

When trying to list my paintings here at Zazzle the only words that would surface my products are the descriptions and not the process. I have discovered "painted" and "acrylic paint" does work, but the obvious search terms of "art" and "painting" do not. You'd be hard pressed to find a customer searching the MP with "acrylic paint" I am sure.

Both painting and art search words only pulls posters and signs. I get that these products may be found on these products however, there is no category options on the top of those search pages that would direct the customer to "home" products or "crafts" product categories.

Suggestion for Z

Because Z is working on it's category tree, to bring back the "art" category with specific art mediums for the customer to search from. You wouldn't have to have many sub categories just the big ones like painting, drawing, *photography (*another issue with finding products in the MP) and "other".

Add more categories in a feed on the search pages for "paintings" and "art" would resolve much.

I do sell my art on products but not here on Z. If folks could find them here on Z, I bet I could do much better.

Thanks for listening.
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 11:50:18 AM
Hey LM, thanks for the suggestion, that does make sense. I have forward this on for consideration.

Thanks! Smile
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:56:00 PM
Thanks Aisling. Roses Smile
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 4:15:50 PM
+1
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 5:55:27 PM
+1
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:28:44 AM
Off the top of my head, if I were searching for actual art, I might search for "original painting" or "original ink drawing" or something of that ilk. I haven't tried it, but I've the gut feeling it might not find much. I'll go give it a try...

Wrong. It works admirably. The key seems to be using "original" as part of the search.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 4:17:07 AM
Art was removed as search tag a couple of years ago.
It would be great if it would be activated again.
Great point, Gildersleeve!
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 4:58:25 AM
Discovering that art is no longer a tag was something (like many other things pertaining to Zazzle) that I discovered accidentally while doing store maintenance quite a while ago.

What I do is also called "fiber art" (an actual type of art, field of art, art form and term). One day a couple of years or so ago I found tags just had "fiber" which made no sense and could be anything from hair to so many other things including what's found in many veggies and other high fiber foods.

Removing art and leaving fiber completely changed the tag to irrelevancy and vagueness so I deleted fiber from all the tags. Lol Smile
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 5:11:12 AM
I'm curious if, since our tags are now unlinked, and since words seem to be no longer deleted, will terms such as "art deco" remain as such, not being reduced to "deco"?

I know the above is slightly off the OP's subject, but it's likely something that feeds into the problem.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:28:50 PM
AfriCreations wrote:
Discovering that art is no longer a tag was something (like many other things pertaining to Zazzle) that I discovered accidentally while doing store maintenance quite a while ago.

What I do is also called "fiber art" (an actual type of art, field of art, art form and term). One day a couple of years or so ago I found tags just had "fiber" which made no sense and could be anything from hair to so many other things including what's found in many veggies and other high fiber foods.

Removing art and leaving fiber completely changed the tag to irrelevancy and vagueness so I deleted fiber from all the tags. Lol Smile

exactly! I found the same thing with "folk art" reduced to "folk" now it is tag spam... sheesh!Idea
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:41:13 PM
I found something earlier where "digital art" was visible in the tags at the bottom of a page.

It would be fantastic if tags that can relate to either a product or a design's artwork were both able to be found, and then filtered for which one the customer really wants to see.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 3:15:34 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
exactly! I found the same thing with "folk art" reduced to "folk" now it is tag spam... sheesh!Idea

I forgot about that one. I had precisely the same thing happen to me with folk art. Essentially, we were barred from having any kind of art whatsoever, but I'm still hopeful this may no longer be true.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 3:43:05 AM
Colorwash wrote:

I forgot about that one. I had precisely the same thing happen to me with folk art. Essentially, we were barred from having any kind of art whatsoever, but I'm still hopeful this may no longer be true.

I don't think this is true any longer. I put folk art into the search bar and it brought up a number of things that were folk art. Some had folk art in the title but some also had it as tags. I scrolled down to the tags on some representative items and some had folk art as an intact tag while others just had folk. So somewhere along the line- perhaps when they implemented this new format for searches- the ability to tag with words that are also product types got restored (or created).

Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 3:44:42 AM
Thank you for checking it out, Susannah. It gives all of us strong hope.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 10:52:18 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I don't think this is true any longer. I put folk art into the search bar and it brought up a number of things that were folk art. Some had folk art in the title but some also had it as tags. I scrolled down to the tags on some representative items and some had folk art as an intact tag while others just had folk. So somewhere along the line- perhaps when they implemented this new format for searches- the ability to tag with words that are also product types got restored (or created).

well that is good news, thanks Susannah!