Editing Existing Designs (again)
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 4:28:45 PM
I know the request has been made that Designers be able to Edit the DESIGN of a Published Product. I know it's been heard, and though I don't know the reason it hasn't happened, I can see the potential for abuse.

Here's a request to compromise: Just like Royalties may be changed in the first 24 hours, to account for us making errors, maybe we can get an "Edit this Design" for the first 24 hours following publishing to account for errors?

Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 5:52:23 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I know the request has been made that Designers be able to Edit the DESIGN of a Published Product. I know it's been heard, and though I don't know the reason it hasn't happened, I can see the potential for abuse.

Here's a request to compromise: Just like Royalties may be changed in the first 24 hours, to account for us making errors, maybe we can get an "Edit this Design" for the first 24 hours following publishing to account for errors?



remaking a product within the first few days is no big deal. what bites is needing to delete a product after it has been around for awhile and has grown roots. because then we are potentially breaking affiliate links and losing any ranking that the product might have gained.
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 7:32:54 PM
Two different issues. One, long-term product. We've asked, and it hasn't happened.

Two, new product. I agree, generally, making a new product isn't that big of a deal. I usually create in batches. I'm asking because it's more work than maybe is necessary to go through all the machinations of recreations.
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 7:40:33 PM
That is a good idea but won't help in cases when it has been a while before we notice the mistakes that need to be fixed. As the cases in the previous thread where the OP and me both didn't see the problem until the item sold, long after 24 hours is past.


Edit to add: I don't mind deleting and replacing new stuff that has no history, But not being able to fix existing long term designs is the problem. I heard the argument about replacing one cutsie image with a horrid one but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just to be able to fix a flaw with a better version of the original image or change the font or make the items a template after the fact would be so helpful and more efficient. In my case, if I could have gone in and centered up the image I already had instead of having to make a new one and delete the one that had just sold.
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 8:15:15 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I know the request has been made that Designers be able to Edit the DESIGN of a Published Product. I know it's been heard, and though I don't know the reason it hasn't happened, I can see the potential for abuse.

Here's a request to compromise: Just like Royalties may be changed in the first 24 hours, to account for us making errors, maybe we can get an "Edit this Design" for the first 24 hours following publishing to account for errors?



I like this idea, but like the rest of the people, would like to have it with old products. I have a product with GREAT SEO placement and it has several hundred views but only been bought once. It was one of my early invites and I accidentally made the background editable by customer, not the photo. I made another one in the same old store, but it can't quite get the traction the other one still gets (even thought it's direct only). It would behoove Zazzle to let me edit the original because it's a niche with little competition but a pretty nice demand. I'd be content with the approval time. Heck, even if it took as long as postage stamps at this point.
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 8:42:04 PM
I get that pretty much everyone wants to edit long-term products. I have Products with good SEO I'd like to tweak too. I think Zazzle gets it too.
Grin

This particular request isn't about that. It's for at least a 24-hour window. When I create a batch of Products, most go into multiple Collections. When I catch a mistake in the first few hours, I have to recreate all of them, and then I don't delete the originals because I've had a "request error" on the NEW version too many times now (when I deleted the first one too soon, it seems; and that would mean creating a third version). Then I put all of those new ones in Collections, move the old ones, and remove the old ones from Collections (because *I* can still see them in those Collections, even if they're hidden). Because of all that, I do mind deleting and replacing a new Product or 27.

That's my story.



Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:17:27 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I get that pretty much everyone wants to edit long-term products. I have Products with good SEO I'd like to tweak too. I think Zazzle gets it too.
Grin

This particular request isn't about that. It's for at least a 24-hour window. When I create a batch of Products, most go into multiple Collections. When I catch a mistake in the first few hours, I have to recreate all of them, and then I don't delete the originals because I've had a "request error" on the NEW version too many times now (when I deleted the first one too soon, it seems; and that would mean creating a third version). Then I put all of those new ones in Collections, move the old ones, and remove the old ones from Collections (because *I* can still see them in those Collections, even if they're hidden). Because of all that, I do mind deleting and replacing a new Product or 27.

That's my story.

I've had it happen, and of course I don't spot the error of my ways until after I've shared the product and possibly an affiliate has picked it up. If I could correct the error without consequences, it would mean those consequences would be negated.

Yes, I like your idea very much.

Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:46:46 AM
I think a 24 hour "free" edit would be a good idea.

Anything beyond that time frame should be allowed, too, but with a review process in order to prevent abuse.


Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:



Edit to add: I don't mind deleting and replacing new stuff that has no history, But not being able to fix existing long term designs is the problem. I heard the argument about replacing one cutsie image with a horrid one but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just to be able to fix a flaw with a better version of the original image or change the font or make the items a template after the fact would be so helpful and more efficient. In my case, if I could have gone in and centered up the image I already had instead of having to make a new one and delete the one that had just sold.


While plenty would want to just have the ability to fix a flaw or whatever, there are "gamers" that would put "cutsie" on a product, only to replace it with "horrid" if they had a chance and could get around any review, etc, since "cutsie" established the product. And replacing "cutsie" with "horrid" would become an issue if a "cutsie" promoter suddenly found "horrid" designs on their website, etc. So, yeah, abuse could, and probably would, happen.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:00:21 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
While plenty would want to just have the ability to fix a flaw or whatever, there are "gamers" that would put "cutsie" on a product, only to replace it with "horrid" if they had a chance and could get around any review, etc, since "cutsie" established the product. And replacing "cutsie" with "horrid" would become an issue if a "cutsie" promoter suddenly found "horrid" designs on their website, etc. So, yeah, abuse could, and probably would, happen.

The problem with trying to ward off reprehensible behavior of the few is that it instead wards off good behavior in the many. The dishonest folks simply find another way to be dishonest.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:08:47 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:
While plenty would want to just have the ability to fix a flaw or whatever, there are "gamers" that would put "cutsie" on a product, only to replace it with "horrid" if they had a chance and could get around any review, etc, since "cutsie" established the product. And replacing "cutsie" with "horrid" would become an issue if a "cutsie" promoter suddenly found "horrid" designs on their website, etc. So, yeah, abuse could, and probably would, happen.

The problem with trying to ward off reprehensible behavior of the few is that it instead wards off good behavior in the many. The dishonest folks simply find another way to be dishonest.


I think if a review system was in place, those with good intent will have no problem with it, while those that are prone to abusing/gaming the system will give up or not try at all.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:19:42 AM
I suppose it would depend on the number of reviewing hours required. It might end up not being worth it for Zazzle.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:50:48 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I suppose it would depend on the number of reviewing hours required. It might end up not being worth it for Zazzle.


The review system could be handled like QC with a queue. It really shouldn't take much time. I can't foresee thousands of designers all submitting edited designs up for review at once.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:12:06 AM
Maybe I am missing something obvious, but in what way could designers "game" the system if they were able to edit an existing product? If a product has a high ranking in the marketplace, presumably that is because it is selling, so why would anyone want to 'lose' a product that sells by putting a completely different design on it? They can't sell both the 'old' and the 'new' product at the same time, so how could they gain?

If Zazzle is worried that designers might cause chaos by changing and editing and re-editing an existing design over and over again, then that could be covered by having a system such that image changes would be updated only once a month, as now happens with royalty changes.

There are very few products that have to be reviewed before entering the market place eg postage stamps and zippo lighters come to mind, but those particular items could be excluded from allowing image updates. Otherwise, if a product doesn't need to be reviewed when first uploaded, why should an edit need a review?
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:32:48 AM
Jules wrote:
Maybe I am missing something obvious, but in what way could designers "game" the system if they were able to edit an existing product? If a product has a high ranking in the marketplace, presumably that is because it is selling, so why would anyone want to 'lose' a product that sells by putting a completely different design on it? They can't sell both the 'old' and the 'new' product at the same time, so how could they gain?

If Zazzle is worried that designers might cause chaos by changing and editing and re-editing an existing design over and over again, then that could be covered by having a system such that image changes would be updated only once a month, as now happens with royalty changes.

There are very few products that have to be reviewed before entering the market place eg postage stamps and zippo lighters come to mind, but those particular items could be excluded from allowing image updates. Otherwise, if a product doesn't need to be reviewed when first uploaded, why should an edit need a review?


The ones you described wouldn't be the ones to abuse such an editing function. Then again, someone with a high ranking design may choose to use that to replace the image with another without losing the rank *shrugs* Frankly I don't care what people do. It isn't a function I feel I would be in need of. I have just been playing devil's advocate and pointing out how such a thing could be taken advantage of and abused.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:45:38 AM
Probably the most common need for this is when we make a spelling error and don't spot it right away. Those errors are commonly seen in the marketplace.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:31:13 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
I think a 24 hour "free" edit would be a good idea.

Anything beyond that time frame should be allowed, too, but with a review process in order to prevent abuse.


Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:



Edit to add: I don't mind deleting and replacing new stuff that has no history, But not being able to fix existing long term designs is the problem. I heard the argument about replacing one cutsie image with a horrid one but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just to be able to fix a flaw with a better version of the original image or change the font or make the items a template after the fact would be so helpful and more efficient. In my case, if I could have gone in and centered up the image I already had instead of having to make a new one and delete the one that had just sold.


While plenty would want to just have the ability to fix a flaw or whatever, there are "gamers" that would put "cutsie" on a product, only to replace it with "horrid" if they had a chance and could get around any review, etc, since "cutsie" established the product. And replacing "cutsie" with "horrid" would become an issue if a "cutsie" promoter suddenly found "horrid" designs on their website, etc. So, yeah, abuse could, and probably would, happen.


Well any one not gaming the system should have no problem with the review process and I think that is a great idea if it would allow us to have this ability.

I do agree with Jules but if this would be a way for us to finally be able to update some of our designs that are less than ideal while keeping our seo rankings then it is better than what we have now.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:11:15 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread Roy... I see why you want the 24 hour edit .
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:10:39 PM
Haha! No worries. Laughing

I'd like the long game, but it hasn't been granted. The short game will help me with probably 80℅ of my issues, though it doesn't look like it matters to most. But if we play nice with the short game, and there's no abuse, maybe they'll give us a longer game.

Idea
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:30:37 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Haha! No worries. Laughing

I'd like the long game, but it hasn't been granted. The short game will help me with probably 80℅ of my issues, though it doesn't look like it matters to most. But if we play nice with the short game, and there's no abuse, maybe they'll give us a longer game.

Idea


Don't let my posts cause a misunderstanding. I like the idea of a 24 hour edit window. Whether I feel I would make use of it or not. Others want a edit function period for products older than 24 hours (like weeks, months, years) and I just suggest that, if that were to ever come to pass, that such revisions go up for review.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:34:19 PM
We're good; I got it. ;)
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 7:32:24 AM
I'm all for your suggestion, it's a great one.

But if the goal is to help designers fix a design flaw on a product (that is good for both the designer AND Z) which in turn assures the end customer gets a quality product as intended, then long term design flaw edit (long term meaning an older product) should be considered as well. In my case I'm not talking about allowing a full redesign change or anything, just a flaw fix... a background - text alignment etc.

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:52:23 AM
I know I would like the ability to be able to make editing changes on older already published cards in order to keep them trendy and relevant----for example, I have a few published wedding invitations I created 3 or 4 years ago, but since then, it's become popular to have a wedding website added on wedding stationary items and I would like to be able to add a line for wedding website info on these without having to republish the whole thing all over as new, thus loosing my position in the market place.
(One could say customers could do that themselves, but customers like convenience and like a card set up to just fill in that already has what they want.)
It would be a nice for Zazzle tech to add something along the lines of a "revert to draft" option for editing text or adding an updated photo or whatever, then a "refresh publish" option that puts the edited item right back into the market place right where it was within 24 hours without having to republish the whole thing as a new item. The 24 hours would give it time to lock back in place for printing purposes.
I believe this is completely doable.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded