Down the rabbit-hole via "Something for Everyone"
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 7:30:54 AM
I'm seeing some weirdness when following links off the home page today (9/9/2019).

Clicking on the image next to "Something for Everyone" (following this link: https://www.zazzle.com/shop)

Scroll down to "Gifts", and follow this link - Gifts for men: https://www.zazzle.com/featured/gifts+him

Next, follow this link for T-Shirts: https://www.zazzle.com/dad+tshirts

Okay, right away it's a bit odd that tees for men are immediately being narrowed down to just things for Dads. It's September, and Fathers Day is a long way off. But let's keep going.

The first page I see following that last link shows me this on the first page:

Of the 60 items shown, 12 are for women, not men. Of those 12, 8 are "Free Mom Hugs" shirts. 2 are Mickey Mouse shirts. They seemingly have nothing to do with men or dads. Spammy.

There's a section at the top of this page that has another link to Men's T-Shirts: https://www.zazzle.com/dad+mens+tshirts

Notice that it's still dad shirts. At least all the shirts really are for men this time.

My point: Don't tell me I'm looking at "gifts for men" then show me tees for women, and likewise, don't tell me I'm looking at "gifts for men" and then limit those to gifts for dads. Not to mention the extra click to get there.

I have to wonder - does no one check where these links are going or what they're showing?

Yes, I'm not participating in the marketplace right now, but I do still look there for things to promote, and this kind of thing makes that task harder both for me, and for customers.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 8:22:39 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I have to wonder - does no one check where these links are going or what they're showing?

I really don't think they do. I think they create the link by putting the relevant terms in the search box and then creating a link from the results, whatever those may be. Some shirts for women are inexplicably tagged with "dad" (I checked the tags) so here we are. I think if they used the Recipient filter for such recipient-specific products, this would happen less.

I noted this back in August when they had one of those sales of a long list of things and one of the things was puzzle coasters. Somebody put "puzzle coasters" in the search box and created a link for the sale without ever actually checking to see what it was they had created a link to. Puzzle coasters have been out of stock so long that they've been hidden from the MP so the link actually was to all products that are tagged both "puzzle" and "coaster". This brought up all the puzzles with a picture of roller coasters on them as well as a number of coasters that had puzzle as a theme, such as the Autism Awareness official puzzle piece icon on a coaster.

I got some clicks on my roller coaster puzzle and it did sell as a postcard so I'm not complaining about the serendipity. It was just humorous evidence that these links are not actually checked after they are created.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 9:01:04 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:

I got some clicks on my roller coaster puzzle and it did sell as a postcard so I'm not complaining about the serendipity. It was just humorous evidence that these links are not actually checked after they are created.

While we might find it humorous, I wonder what shoppers think when they run into this kind of twilight zone search result?

Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 10:58:27 AM
Maybe my standards are too high. If someone at my day job did something like this...let's just say it wouldn't be pretty and leave it at that.

ETA: I understand that mistakes happen. I understand that Zazzle's site is complex.

But I don't think that explains why preventable issues happen as often as they seemingly do.

I didn't bring it up to harangue Zazzle, though. I brought it up because I want them to do better - for the sake of their customers, and for us.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 11:12:21 AM
When I search at Zazzle I think
1. I must have no clue how to search
2. None of these results are what I am looking for. I give up.
3. This site is a hot mess.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 11:21:21 AM
I feel I should make something else clear: I don't go looking for mistakes.

But I do drill down through links off from the hope page when looking for things to pin to Pinterest, usually a mix of what's popular and what's new.

My assumption (perhaps wrong), is that by following links from the home page, I will find the items that Zazzle is trying to sell (at least in the 'popular' sort. I mean, isn't that why it says 'featured' in the URL terms?)

But if 'curation' has become nothing more than setting up a link to a keyword search, with no examination of the result, then perhaps I'm wasting my time.

(This isn't my only method of finding things to promote; just one of several.)
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:14:40 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Of the 60 items shown, 12 are for women, not men. Of those 12, 8 are "Free Mom Hugs" shirts. 2 are Mickey Mouse shirts. They seemingly have nothing to do with men or dads. Spammy.

It looks like Disney is spamming. They have the tag "dad" on a Minnie Mouse womans tee, plus it's an editors pick. As are others in this search.

The weird thing though, the "hugs" womens shirts you are referring to are sold by different stores, but obviously by the same designer, a bronze level designer. I find it amazing that a bronze designer has several products, under different stores, at the top of such a popular search landing. But that's not the weirdest part. The weirdest part is that those shirts have no reviews, no 'Other designs you might like', no Zazzle Inspiration pod and no tags. How is that possible? Also one of them is an editors pick.

I can't assume these products are there due to tag spam if there are no tags. But I can wonder how they show up in that search without the relevant tags, let alone at the top of the MP.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:41:51 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

It looks like Disney is spamming. They have the tag "dad" on a Minnie Mouse womans tee, plus it's an editors pick. As are others in this search.

The weird thing though, the "hugs" womens shirts you are referring to are sold by different stores, but obviously by the same designer, a bronze level designer. I find it amazing that a bronze designer has several products, under different stores, at the top of such a popular search landing. But that's not the weirdest part. The weirdest part is that those shirts have no reviews, no 'Other designs you might like', no Zazzle Inspiration pod and no tags. How is that possible? Also one of them is an editors pick.

I can't assume these products are there due to tag spam if there are no tags. But I can wonder how they show up in that search without the relevant tags, let alone at the top of the MP.

The one I looked at not only had no tags but no descriptions either... the product description and the design description are both missing. How does that happen and how does that get found by a search engine? especially one that is searching for men's shirts?

Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:35:05 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

The one I looked at not only had no tags but no descriptions either... the product description and the design description are both missing. How does that happen and how does that get found by a search engine? especially one that is searching for men's shirts?

A long time ago you could have html links in the descriptions. I had some that linked back to attribute images that were fine for commercial use as long as I linked back to them. Since then Zazzle went in an erased all that info so every once in awhile I find a design I missed deleting since I could no longer use it without the links where all the info is removed showing just a blank description. That could be one reason. But mine I find like that have no recent views and normally the department has been removed so they are listed as "No suggested departments found. Product(s) will be found in search only." in the store back end and doing a search for them on Zazzle does not find them so that is just weird. Disney on the other hand should not be tag spamming. They make enough money they don't need to even think of tag spamming. That is very irritating.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:23:45 AM
I should have also mentioned that the one I looked at was also an editors pick. Again how does that happen? Do editors even look at this stuff?
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:39:48 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I should have also mentioned that the one I looked at was also an editors pick. Again how does that happen? Do editors even look at this stuff?

You really have to wonder. It's like bots are doing things. I have given up trying to search out things to promote because my searches rarely bring up items for the search terms I was using.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:53:04 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I looked at one and noticed no tags; figured they were there but somehow being hidden from view.

Something isn't right. Oh, I forgot, it's a day with a 'y' in it.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:57:14 PM
birthdaygreeting wrote:
Disney on the other hand should not be tag spamming. They make enough money they don't need to even think of tag spamming. That is very irritating.

Where does a 300 three-hundred pound gorilla sit? Anywhere it wants. I'll hold my breath in hopes that something will be done about it for exactly -0- seconds.

Quickly losing faith in all things search/placement related.
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:40:15 AM
It looks like the Dad stuff at the top is more of a suggestive reminder, than a search result. Like "Hey looking for men's stuff? Don't forget dad."

It's clearly separated from the general guys stuff found just below. Where is says "90 results."

Nothing wrong there.

Now looking at the dad's shirts links, seeing Disney's female Minnie shirts does make me go "what the?" At first I thought it must be because of this whole you can be whatever gender you want, moms are dads and dads are moms routine, but looking at the tags I can see the issue.

It's not faulty search results or spam. The tag Disney is using is "dad mom." That's because it's selling items in pairs. Couple's shirts.

And it's only a couple products. The rest are exactly what you clicked on. Shirts for dads.

Nothing to see here.
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:08:16 AM
The "Gifts for him" page says "Shop Our Favorites for Father's Day". I find that strange. Maybe some people don't.

My post wasn't focused on the contents of that page. It was just part of the path on the way to what my post really talks about.

The landing page of any drill down is prime real estate. One-fifth of the placement there shouldn't be given to unrelated products.

Not all men are dads. I was not looking for T-shirts for dads. I only looked closer at the links once something seemed amiss, and I posted them to illustrate the mismatch between the path I was following, versus the link parameters.

But if some people want to proclaim that "it's only a couple of products" and "nothing to see here", I guess they're welcome to hold that opinion.

Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:44:05 PM
Is Zazzle viewing and taking this on board? It is Christmas Shopping Time!Grin
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 3:36:45 AM
Hi all, sorry for the delay responding here. This is strange behavior and I am not sure of the reasons for this. I have forwarded your concerns so we will investigate. Thank you Smile