Designers, We Want to Know Your Wedding Questions Here please. 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:22:41 AM
JustFharryn wrote:
HMMM? Going only after the ultra-trendy stuff is not the way to go, IMO... Yes, you want to have some "ultra-trendy" stuff in your store, but that's such a SMALL market... think about it...

Here's how I see it: Most brides think about their weddings (whether they want to admit it or not) well before they set the date - or were even proposed to yet. This means theyve been getting a feel for what they like and what's available. They've started tagging stuff, pinning, etc... therefore, they're MORE likely to buy a season behind. Don't get me wrong, the ultra-trendy brides will buy the new stuff plus if you keep on top of new trends, your products will have a strong presence when that time comes.

Just a thought.

I understand that. However, I'm effectively starting from zero. The wedding stuff I currently have sells rarely, if at all. If I make things that are "ultra-trendy" today, they'll still sell five years from now. I just want to make decent sales again, and Zazzle focusing on wedding stuff must mean that there is enough of a demand for it out there.

To put this thread back on track, here's another question for Zazzle: do wedding "sets" really sell, or is the demand primarily for invitations only? (As opposed to save the date, table cards, "will you be my bridesmaid" etc. cards, rehearsal dinner cards, and so on.)
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:25:41 AM
Stargazer wrote:
To put this thread back on track, here's another question for Zazzle: do wedding "sets" really sell, or is the demand primarily for invitations only? (As opposed to save the date, table cards, "will you be my bridesmaid" etc. cards, rehearsal dinner cards, and so on.)

I wonder if some of that might be a point-of-sale kind of choice where the bride chooses an invitation and then sees the other things in a collection--assuming they get collections showing again, that is.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:24:55 PM
I have sold a few bridesmaid and flower girl invites, but only one single wedding invite, so these at least must be a second must have, or popular choice
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:23:12 PM
[quote]Lastly, you know how you can buy bath towel sets as a group or separately. Would it be possible to create a similar “set” for the wedding invite, rsvp, address labels, info card, and thank you cards? If a customer could buy a suite by only going to one page that could work really well./quote]

+1
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:39:40 AM
Colorwash wrote:
When I got married back in the Dark Ages, wedding invitations were inevitably white with elegant black script--a bifold invitation with the RSVP tucked inside it. Some brides got matching thank-you cards, most bought them separately. Over the years, that's the only kind of invitation I ever saw until just a few years ago when my son's friend got married and I saw the single (not bifold) card invitation style, one that didn't look at all related to a wedding because I'd never seen it before.

Question: How long has what is to me a new type of invitation been used? Is it now universal, or do the traditional types still sell? If they do, are they nevertheless different from what used to be? What's more popular--the flat card or the folded card?

Interesting that you bring that up. I live in the Netherlands and had never seen a flat wedding invitation card until I arrived at Zazzle. We use folded cards here as far as I know, and the flat cards impressed me as somewhat cheap. But then I mainly sell invitations in the US. (maybe because of that?)
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:38:04 PM
I have never created wedding items before, but I will try this year as a new challenge in 2020.
I googled “wedding trends in 2020,” and saw a lot of hints for wedding trends, but I'm not sure if they match trending at Zazzle, and how to incorporate them into our designs is another story. So I'd like to know what Zazzle thinks about the trends that are not listed on the top searches in the MP.
I feel that classic wedding designs sell all the time if they look beautiful, although they are competitive.
I will probably start creating basic wedding suites.

One More question:
What party supplies and home gifts sell well?
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:58:36 AM
Will there be anything done to discourage blatant copycats and redundancy? If you search "wedding invitations" you see the same 3 designs over and over. The string lights on wood background, the burgundy and blue floral (probably THE most redundantly used clip art), and the gold geometric frame with flowers variants (and this continues on the second page, and third, etc.).
If I were a customer, at a glance of the first pages of results, I would get the impression there is little variety.
If a design already exists and you can clearly see that same design used over and over again right on the first page of results - a "designer" should not be able to post a 500th copy of what 499 people have already done! Can there be something in the approval process that helps to weed this type of thing out? If there were less of all the blatant copycat designs, a customer would be presented with more originality and variety.
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 8:42:44 AM
KL Stock wrote:
Will there be anything done to discourage blatant copycats and redundancy? If you search "wedding invitations" you see the same 3 designs over and over. The string lights on wood background, the burgundy and blue floral (probably THE most redundantly used clip art), and the gold geometric frame with flowers variants (and this continues on the second page, and third, etc.).
If I were a customer, at a glance of the first pages of results, I would get the impression there is little variety.
If a design already exists and you can clearly see that same design used over and over again right on the first page of results - a "designer" should not be able to post a 500th copy of what 499 people have already done! Can there be something in the approval process that helps to weed this type of thing out? If there were less of all the blatant copycat designs, a customer would be presented with more originality and variety.

I really want to agree with what you are saying, but I would hate to see Zazzle do as one POD has done and stop accepting a designers work because too many similar items exist all ready.
I recently downloaded some WPA poster, (agreed that is not actually the same thing) but is comparable ... only to do a Zazzle search and find that many of the same already exist on Zazzle, added by different designers. BUT I have no way of knowing when they were created, if the are still being promoted and where, if they are still being seen and any of a number of variables that exists as far as visibility. That did discourage me, but I decided to go ahead and post a few as an experiment.
I don't think Zazzle has a level playing field for all designers and I really feel something should be done to make it more even. I just don't know what can be done.
It really is discouraging to see the same designers and the same designs being on Zazzle's front page, but if I was one of those designers, I am sure I would not be so discouraged about it and would like it just the way it is, and most likely think is a really fair way to do things.
Zazzle products are listed as most popular first. How popular is determined is anybody's guess, but also you can choose "most recent" as a way to search.
While I would like to see less repeating and less redundancy on Zazzle, I have no idea how they would go about doing it.
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 9:34:52 AM
randysgrandma wrote:
While I would like to see less repeating and less redundancy on Zazzle, I have no idea how they would go about doing it.

I don't know how they'd do it either. Even if they had a row of newest designs, that might not help either.
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 10:09:29 AM
Agree with many statements already mentioned.. - same designers/front page for months never changing - not enough popular fonts , single invite sales (not good at all- as we Know what they are doing) I wish if they wanted to sell samples they would put a watermark across it so the customer could still see the invite but not be able to copy it.. it happens ALOT

I would like to see translucent vellum as a paper choice, more rustic textured paper, deckled edges on paper and envelopes , gold/silver ink choice, window folded cards, ribbon/twine belly bands

I was surprised when I ordered some sample the thickness of the wedding stock.. it is like card stock.. when did this happen? .. WAY back in the day.. wedding invitations were on quality thin paper.. not heavy card stock.. and an FYI for anyone creating invites in any of the shapes.. they are printed on a rectangle piece and punched out .. Leaving little 'chads" where they were still connected.. if I were paying these prices for invitations I would be Furious if I got these. Just my 2cents
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 11:33:55 AM
I don't like the idea of Zazzle policing designs for things that look similar, but I do agree that it's problematic that the same designs are always at the top. I think it's a function of how their algorithm works - it tends to create a self-reinforcing feedback loop. Designers look to see what's popular, and they see the same style over and over, so people make more things that look like that, and it just spirals out of control. I think the solution would be to change up the search algorithm. Not exactly sure how I would do that if I was in charge, but something that injected a bit more variety into the results would definitely be a good thing.
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 11:35:40 AM
James, when will the answers to our wedding questions be provided?

Thank you,
Susan
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 11:37:50 AM
The Dancing Pelican wrote:
James, when will the answers to our wedding questions be provided?

Thank you,
Susan

I believe it will be done in a video chat.
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 12:44:13 PM
I would like to know the most popular aspect ratios for the invites & also if any trends there.

I assume it's what is generally featured, but it would be useful for me to hear.
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 12:28:59 AM
9thPalaceDesign wrote:
I’d like to know the most often purchased post-engagement products. Also, I’d like to ask for advice on how to break into the wedding market. And, are bridal showers & bachelorette party invites as popular as wedding ones?

I’ll add a +1 for gold foil on invites (where other graphics and colors could be placed below the foil).

Lastly, you know how you can buy bath towel sets as a group or separately. Would it be possible to create a similar “set” for the wedding invite, rsvp, address labels, info card, and thank you cards? If a customer could buy a suite by only going to one page that could work really well.

+1
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 7:11:48 AM
Deb Smile wrote:
Agree with many statements already mentioned.. - same designers/front page for months never changing - not enough popular fonts , single invite sales (not good at all- as we Know what they are doing) I wish if they wanted to sell samples they would put a watermark across it so the customer could still see the invite but not be able to copy it.. it happens ALOT

I would like to see translucent vellum as a paper choice, more rustic textured paper, deckled edges on paper and envelopes , gold/silver ink choice, window folded cards, ribbon/twine belly bands

I was surprised when I ordered some sample the thickness of the wedding stock.. it is like card stock.. when did this happen? .. WAY back in the day.. wedding invitations were on quality thin paper.. not heavy card stock.. and an FYI for anyone creating invites in any of the shapes.. they are printed on a rectangle piece and punched out .. Leaving little 'chads" where they were still connected.. if I were paying these prices for invitations I would be Furious if I got these. Just my 2cents

I agree with all of your suggestions! I would love to see deckled edges and more textures.
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 9:15:43 AM
9thPalaceDesign wrote:

I’ll add a +1 for gold foil on invites (where other graphics and colors could be placed below the foil).

Lastly, you know how you can buy bath towel sets as a group or separately. Would it be possible to create a similar “set” for the wedding invite, rsvp, address labels, info card, and thank you cards? If a customer could buy a suite by only going to one page that could work really well.

Love I would be so excited to see the above options! I also would like to know if we can expect additional fonts to be added in the future? Something like a modern fine art calligraphy font with a matching serif would look beautiful on wedding invitations. Thank you!

Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 2:31:37 PM
The video chat was informative, but there was no mention of future paper choices, something I think is very important as mentioned in the previous comments. Does that mean we won't be getting any updated paper products? Would love to know the answer to that.

Also, she said if we had questions to comment below the video, yet comments were turned off.
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 5:41:19 AM
My wedding question did not get answered in the video chat. Since comments were disabled on the video, I could not ask my question there.

Here is my question:
Can you confirm whether or not Zazzle offers addressing service for wedding invitations ordered through Zazzle? If this service is offered, how does a customer request this and what is the cost?

Thanks.
Susan
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 6:41:45 AM
After watching the vid and hearing about the micro wedding trend, I did a search on Zazzle for micro wedding and then microwedding and was suprised when there were no special results for it.
I did the same search on Google and got lots of results defining the term, giving links to shopping for micro weddings and so on.

I would have thought that there would be a dedicated landing page on Zazzle for it.
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 6:50:41 AM
My (second) wedding was apparently a micro wedding, but back then, it was simply called a small wedding. Lots of people did it that way, rejecting the huge and expensive galas. I'm perplexed by the notion that it would now be termed a trend when it's always existed.
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 8:13:23 AM
Colorwash wrote:
My (second) wedding was apparently a micro wedding, but back then, it was simply called a small wedding. Lots of people did it that way, rejecting the huge and expensive galas. I'm perplexed by the notion that it would now be termed a trend when it's always existed.

A trend just means it's becoming more popular, not that it never existed. That's my understanding, anyway Smile
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 10:01:40 AM
Or maybe the small wedding always flew under the radar because it wasn't as noticeable as the large wedding. Then some people noticed it, more people noticed it, someone wrote about it in a magazine, giving it a name, and voila! a trend.
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 4:16:47 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
After watching the vid and hearing about the micro wedding trend, I did a search on Zazzle for micro wedding and then microwedding and was suprised when there were no special results for it.
I did the same search on Google and got lots of results defining the term, giving links to shopping for micro weddings and so on.
I would have thought that there would be a dedicated landing page on Zazzle for it.

From lurking in wedding related forums I am comfortable saying that the term most oft used for smaller weddings is "elopement". Makes me crazy because to me "eloping" means wedding in secret without telling anyone first, but in today's time it is the term used by folks who are planning smaller, more intimate wedding events. I have never yet heard [read] anyone say "micro-wedding". I'd say the typical "traditional" wedding in the US as far as guests are concerned is about 120 invitees. With a guesstimate of 80% to RSVP YES that's just about 100 people expected. (It's surprising how many couples send out invites to more than their venue can hold because they are expecting a certain number of NOs). "Elopements" would be closer to half that - 50 or fewer guests - and are usually either "destination" weddings or weddings where the reception is a more casual affair hosted at a local restaurant. Either way, a good portion of these couples still send out STDs/invites and have bridesmaids/groomsmen etc... (I personally don't understand that but whatever.) Budget constraints is one reason for elopements/"micro-weddings" BUT they are just as often because the couple doesn't want the stress & hassle of planning a "traditional" big wedding. Smaller doesn't always mean cheaper - couples still want STDs and invites and bridal showers and bachelorette parties etc ... they just want less of the drama that comes with inviting everyone & anyone.
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 9:14:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Hopefully our new Z chat will answer some of your question here and thanks so much for your interest.

In regards to a mailing service. We had an label add on service around the holidays but no longer offering it at the moment. We will keep you updated if this is coming back again. I did find this cool design that could work if you choose white or even clear for colored envelopes.

https://www.zazzle.com/guests_names_and_address_wedding_shipping_labels-256423120742925201

Roses Roses Roses
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 10:09:47 AM
James wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hopefully our new Z chat will answer some of your question here and thanks so much for your interest.

In regards to a mailing service. We had an label add on service around the holidays but no longer offering it at the moment. We will keep you updated if this is coming back again. I did find this cool design that could work if you choose white or even clear for colored envelopes.

https://www.zazzle.com/guests_names_and_address_wedding_shipping_labels-256423120742925201

Roses Roses Roses

when did clear become an option for shipping labels? did I miss that?

Oh never mind... I see that this is the vinyl sticker now.
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 10:44:26 AM
Rebecca @ ZingerBug wrote:
randysgrandma wrote:
IMHO, the single most effective thing that could be done to boost wedding sales would be to offer foil printing on invitations - and not like how the foil card and gift tags work where you get foil and nothing else on a really poor selection of colors, what we need is to be able to add foil to the existing 4 color printing. I think that's where we really lose out to sites like Minted where they do offer that.

I agree and have wanted that since foil was first introduced. Another pipe dream, embossed cards, with a little texture. They seem to be really popular, most of the cards I receive have embossing and or glitter.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Gold and silver foil print and embossing over vivid 6-color prints plus a wider premium paper selection and more sturdy standard papers around 160lb on folded greeting cards and flat cards (no matter their classification, and including business cards) are mandatory requirements if Z wants to successfully compete with online printer companies specialized on custom card printing nowadays.

For the listed prices, people expect premium quality and uniqueness, and decorative foil elements and partial embossing are pretty standard features on themed cards at a certain level. Especially when it comes to weddings, funerals, baby stuff, and other important occasions.

Not intended to rant or to sound rude, just telling facts.
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 1:33:38 PM
James wrote:
Hi everyone,

Roses Roses Roses

Thank you, James.
Susan
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 4:59:14 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
randysgrandma wrote:
IMHO, the single most effective thing that could be done to boost wedding sales would be to offer foil printing on invitations - and not like how the foil card and gift tags work where you get foil and nothing else on a really poor selection of colors, what we need is to be able to add foil to the existing 4 color printing. I think that's where we really lose out to sites like Minted where they do offer that.

I agree and have wanted that since foil was first introduced. Another pipe dream, embossed cards, with a little texture. They seem to be really popular, most of the cards I receive have embossing and or glitter.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Gold and silver foil print and embossing over vivid 6-color prints plus a wider premium paper selection and more sturdy standard papers around 160lb on folded greeting cards and flat cards (no matter their classification, and including business cards) are mandatory requirements if Z wants to successfully compete with online printer companies specialized on custom card printing nowadays.

For the listed prices, people expect premium quality and uniqueness, and decorative foil elements and partial embossing are pretty standard features on themed cards at a certain level. Especially when it comes to weddings, funerals, baby stuff, and other important occasions.

Not intended to rant or to sound rude, just telling facts.

Agree!