Designers, We Want to Know Your Wedding Questions Here please. 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 2:33:15 PM
Hi guys, apologies for the confusion. Please post your questions here. Thanks so much!Roses
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 3:48:03 PM
From ProDesignerForum in the News Forum

"Hey Designers!

“Proposal season” is in full swing, and we’re seeing the results of the many holiday engagements here at Zazzle. As we creep towards Valentine’s Day and the summer wedding season, we want to hear from you! In our next Zazzle Chat we’ll be discussing wedding trends, top products for wedding customers and the vast information that is available to help you in your designing process for wedding items. With that said, give us your questions!

Do you want to know what trends are losing popularity? Do you need help understanding what products customers are buying most often post-engagement? Do you want to know how to design on the new sashes for a bachelorette party? Do you want to know what the heck proposal season is?

Ask away in the comments below, and we’ll be sure to get your questions answered in our upcoming Chat!"

Figured the Original Post should be here so folks can make sense of the purpose of this post.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 4:59:02 PM
Mine wedding stuff doesn't sell so any help would be appreciated.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 5:11:35 PM
JB Designs wrote:
Do you want to know what trends are losing popularity? Do you need help understanding what products customers are buying most often post-engagement? Do you want to know how to design on the new sashes for a bachelorette party? Do you want to know what the heck proposal season is?
[/center]

Just to get these out of the way...

No, I do not want to know which trends are losing popularity. I want to know which ones are gaining popularity.

Yes, I do want to know what products customers are buying most often post-engagement. Backed up with actual numbers, not percentages. 87% of customers may be buying product X, but if you've only had 100 sales of product X then I don't want to bother with it. Although, if you've had 10,000 searches for product X but people don't buy because you only have 100 designs, then I'd like to know that so I can make some.

No to sashes. Yes to proposal season. Thanks.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 5:29:12 PM
trends...well the popular ones that are listed here on Zaz sort of answers that one. but thanks Smile
yes I DO wnat to know what proposal season is and when it happens in the States, here it is any old time. Happy
would love to know if many pple are selling multiple invitations, is it just me? I have sold the sum total of ONE invitation...I know I am not the world's top wedding designer, duh, but ONE?
I WOULD love to know what the most popular products are post engagement, cos it all seems to work differently here, taste is different, events are different. thank you
I am hoping to start some trends this year Grin Grin

Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 11:18:30 PM
Stargazer wrote:
JB Designs wrote:
[/center]

Just to get these out of the way...

No, I do not want to know which trends are losing popularity. I want to know which ones are gaining popularity.

I want to know both!
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 11:31:43 PM
Proposal Season?
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:08:42 AM
I want to know about the sashes. I haven't designed any because I couldn't figue out what they were for, the use case, as uou guys say.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:19:19 AM
Though I don't design for weddings, I'd still like to know what this thing called "proposal season" is. I've never heard of such a thing. Aren't proposals made any time of year, basically when the spirit moves?
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 6:26:38 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Though I don't design for weddings, I'd still like to know what this thing called "proposal season" is. I've never heard of such a thing. Aren't proposals made any time of year, basically when the spirit moves?

I think a lot of marriage proposals are made on Valentine's Day but there is also such a thing as a 'prom-posal' that takes place before high school proms in the spring. Maybe that is part of 'proposal season?'

I don't do much wedding designing. I tried it a couple of times but I don't have the knack for it that others have who are already selling it well.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 6:31:42 AM
Proposal season for me runs November - February.

Days on and around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years & Valentine's Day have been popular dates for my personalized engagement items to gift the bride to be immediately after she says yes. Grin

Peak wedding months for me - May, June, July, September and sometimes March.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:06:01 AM
Is there a wedding theme that is being searched for but needs more designs?
Yes, what is "proposal season?"
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:17:43 PM
I thought wedding season was all year with most weddings in the summer months but spring and autumn are popular wedding times too. Winter weddings not so much unless you want to spend a fortune to travel somewhere warm for the wedding. Anyways I don't care for weddings so I don't design for them much. What I have made has never sold so I don't have much incentive to design when all the prosellers have that market so saturated with designs.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 8:33:34 AM
Proposal season in the US is typically over the holidays between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day, shortly after which couples start making plans and purchasing wedding things.

- What's gaining popularity in searches AND actual PURCHASES would be more helpful to know than what trends are losing popularity. I've found that the styles and colors pushed by wedding blogs and "trends" are not always what people are actually buying at the moment.

- Would like to know the most purchased types of products for weddings - maybe a core 10 wedding products that sell the most often aside from save the dates and invitations themselves.

- Will new, more trendy script fonts will be appearing soon, because I really feel this is one area where, as a designer trying to keep up with trends, we are lacking here as far as fonts the customers can customize themselves.

- Will more font weights be added for the most commonly used or general fonts? The selection was recently expanded but there are still some that are "missing" compared to what is available in general.

- Sidenote it would be lovely to have a way to display a matching RSVP card on an invitation product page. I notice a lot of ONLY rsvp card purchases. MIxing and matching is fun, but I often wonder if they could not find one to match the invitation they ordered - because it's a simple, yet trending-color-specific design. So they will get them and the colors probably wouldn't match. And I'm redic in that I'd rather them have purchased someone else's rsvp card that matched the invitation that they didn't buy from me!?

But I notice that coordinating rsvp cards get lost, especially when the collections don't always show up - and most certainly not on the app or on a mobile device.

Looking forward to the chat! Thank you for asking for questions!

Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 8:49:29 AM
I would like to second Paper Grape's question: "- Will new, more trendy script fonts will be appearing soon, because I really feel this is one area where, as a designer trying to keep up with trends, we are lacking here as far as fonts the customers can customize themselves."

Thanks!
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:19:23 AM
PaperGrape wrote:
- What's gaining popularity in searches AND actual PURCHASES would be more helpful to know than what trends are losing popularity. I've found that the styles and colors pushed by wedding blogs and "trends" are not always what people are actually buying at the moment.

I would be mostly interested in what design terms (as opposed to product types) people are searching for because if they can't find it they can't purchase it thus they buy something else which then gets a statistical
boost and the wheels on the bus go round and round until we have "trends" with a high probability of not really reflecting what people actually want.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:42:50 AM
IMHO, the single most effective thing that could be done to boost wedding sales would be to offer foil printing on invitations - and not like how the foil card and gift tags work where you get foil and nothing else on a really poor selection of colors, what we need is to be able to add foil to the existing 4 color printing. I think that's where we really lose out to sites like Minted where they do offer that.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:56:44 AM
Stargazer wrote:

Why would you NOT want to know which ones are losing popularity? Are you only going to focus on the ultra trendy brides?

I would LOVE to know if there are some recent blockbuster trends that are now losing steam. It will help me focus more on what present shoppers are wanting and what I can stop/slow down making.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:57:42 AM
Rebecca @ ZingerBug wrote:
IMHO, the single most effective thing that could be done to boost wedding sales would be to offer foil printing on invitations - and not like how the foil card and gift tags work where you get foil and nothing else on a really poor selection of colors, what we need is to be able to add foil to the existing 4 color printing. I think that's where we really lose out to sites like Minted where they do offer that.

HUNDO! And the cut invitations as well. Like the embroidered hats. It seems like it could easily be done by special submissions.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 12:27:20 PM

I agree and have wanted that since foil was first introduced. Another pipe dream, embossed cards, with a little texture. They seem to be really popular, most of the cards I receive have embossing and or glitter.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:10:15 PM
randysgrandma wrote:

I agree and have wanted that since foil was first introduced. Another pipe dream, embossed cards, with a little texture. They seem to be really popular, most of the cards I receive have embossing and or glitter.

Yes, yes, yes!!!
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:23:13 PM
Can you confirm whether or not Zazzle offers addressing service for wedding invitations ordered through Zazzle? If this service is offered, how does a customer request this and what is the cost?

Thanks.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:57:46 PM
Are geometric and agate patterns getting more trendy in Weddings versus flowers? What Wedding colors are more Popular now?
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:15:03 PM
Oh, thank you for asking!
Yes, I would definitely like to know what is trending, along with what trends are starting to wane.
I would also love it if you could give us a list of the bestselling wedding products, like maybe the top 25 wedding items. When I design a wedding collection, often things I design don't sell, so it would be very useful to know what people are buying.
As I am not in the US, any unusual US-based trends for items (such as the coaster thing)that are happening would be really useful.
I would love to know the bestselling products in the runup to a wedding (post-engagement), as well as the bestselling products after a wedding. I have a smattering of products for before, during, and after the event, and wonder what I might be missing, so anything you could share about that would be extremely useful.
And yes, knowing about proposal season would be terriffic.
I would love to feel as if I am at the end of a Zazzle chat where you are sharing ALL your valuable wedding-related information!!
Thank you again, Anastasia
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:54:42 PM
JustFharryn wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

Why would you NOT want to know which ones are losing popularity? Are you only going to focus on the ultra trendy brides?

Yes. My wedding selection is small and apparently old fashioned at the moment, so if I know what's "ultra trendy" I can build off of that. Zazzle has decided to focus on wedding stuff, and I have decided I want my Z sales to be what they once were back when they sold non-paper things. The only way to do that is to make stuff that Z wants to sell. If that means being ultra trendy, then so be it.
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 8:44:07 PM
Stargazer wrote:
JustFharryn wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

Yes. My wedding selection is small and apparently old fashioned at the moment, so if I know what's "ultra trendy" I can build off of that. Zazzle has decided to focus on wedding stuff, and I have decided I want my Z sales to be what they once were back when they sold non-paper things. The only way to do that is to make stuff that Z wants to sell. If that means being ultra trendy, then so be it.

HMMM? Going only after the ultra-trendy stuff is not the way to go, IMO... Yes, you want to have some "ultra-trendy" stuff in your store, but that's such a SMALL market... think about it...

Here's how I see it: Most brides think about their weddings (whether they want to admit it or not) well before they set the date - or were even proposed to yet. This means theyve been getting a feel for what they like and what's available. They've started tagging stuff, pinning, etc... therefore, they're MORE likely to buy a season behind. Don't get me wrong, the ultra-trendy brides will buy the new stuff plus if you keep on top of new trends, your products will have a strong presence when that time comes.

Just a thought.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:14:44 AM
When I got married back in the Dark Ages, wedding invitations were inevitably white with elegant black script--a bifold invitation with the RSVP tucked inside it. Some brides got matching thank-you cards, most bought them separately. Over the years, that's the only kind of invitation I ever saw until just a few years ago when my son's friend got married and I saw the single (not bifold) card invitation style, one that didn't look at all related to a wedding because I'd never seen it before.

Question: How long has what is to me a new type of invitation been used? Is it now universal, or do the traditional types still sell? If they do, are they nevertheless different from what used to be? What's more popular--the flat card or the folded card?
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:34:22 AM
Col's Creations© wrote:
PaperGrape wrote:

I would be mostly interested in what design terms (as opposed to product types) people are searching for because if they can't find it they can't purchase it thus they buy something else which then gets a statistical
boost and the wheels on the bus go round and round until we have "trends" with a high probability of not really reflecting what people actually want.

Yes! This was what I was trying to say as well, and you elaborated on it much better! : )

YES.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:35:36 AM
JustFharryn wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
JustFharryn wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

HMMM? Going only after the ultra-trendy stuff is not the way to go, IMO... Yes, you want to have some "ultra-trendy" stuff in your store, but that's such a SMALL market... think about it...

Here's how I see it: Most brides think about their weddings (whether they want to admit it or not) well before they set the date - or were even proposed to yet. This means theyve been getting a feel for what they like and what's available. They've started tagging stuff, pinning, etc... therefore, they're MORE likely to buy a season behind.Don't get me wrong, the ultra-trendy brides will buy the new stuff plus if you keep on top of new trends, your products will have a strong presence when that time comes.

Just a thought.

So true. Can you believe I still get requests for mustache theme items. And that was a trend like what ... 4 years ago.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:00:45 AM
I’d like to know the most often purchased post-engagement products. Also, I’d like to ask for advice on how to break into the wedding market. And, are bridal showers & bachelorette party invites as popular as wedding ones?

I’ll add a +1 for gold foil on invites (where other graphics and colors could be placed below the foil).

Lastly, you know how you can buy bath towel sets as a group or separately. Would it be possible to create a similar “set” for the wedding invite, rsvp, address labels, info card, and thank you cards? If a customer could buy a suite by only going to one page that could work really well.