Designer Attribution in the Design Tool - official feedback 4 pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:20:53 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
SueChisholm wrote:
Love this especially that it shows all the products within the group, wondering if it would be more beneficial right on the original product (so customer can see immediately what products are available in that print) they may love the colours and the pattern on product but not the one shown. Customer has to go into edit before even being able to see the other products with same print. (It would help eliminating more clicks for customer)


Is the “found in collection” feed not showing on the product page anymore? I thought mine still were.


Yes Still There Smile
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:58:25 PM
Good news! Smile
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 12:09:11 PM
Any updates on fixing the privacy issues? I would really like to unhide the stores and products I have hidden because of the linking to the designer and not the store issues.
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:03:06 AM
Angelandspot1 wrote:
Any updates on fixing the privacy issues? I would really like to unhide the stores and products I have hidden because of the linking to the designer and not the store issues.


I'd like to know too. I've held off making shops private and hiding hundreds of products (cuz that's no fun) but I have to do it today. Le sigh.
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:58:42 AM
Well, I got a reply to my email. I will have to start my private stores over on a new account. Crying

Per the email reply:

Thank you for emailing the support team at Zazzle.


Our Technical Team have advised that the store has always been linked to the profile but it has been made more visible. We cannot change this for private stores but if you would like to create a new account and make new stores you can. It looks as though this feature will not be changing.


You will find further information on this in the forum below:

https://forum.zazzle.com/news/announcing_design_space_designer_attribution_and
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:10:05 AM
My reply was that they were looking into it.

All the shops were not always linked. They were separate when I joined and we were allowed and encouraged to merge them into a single account--and the shops were NOT linked. There wasn't a "designer" account back then.

I asked them them review this and if this is it going forward that they allow us to break apart the accounts so that we do not have to reupload all the images, create all new products, lose ratings, promotions, etc.

I was advised they were just assessing everything and taking in all the feedback.

---

"Thank you for clarifying the issue for me and I am very sorry that this thread [I wrote about this thread and the privacy concerns] has not been addressed as of yet. As you know, this is a new feature within the design tool so there are bound to be some concerns with it. I have forwarded all of the concerns in the thread, including your own, to our platform managers so we will certainly investigate this issue and endeavor to address the thread once we have more information."
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:43:24 PM
Prior to the launch of Designer Attribution within the Design Tool, a Designer had the option to associate his or her Profile identity with a Published Product and it was opt-in. By checking a box next to STORE NAME in Advanced Settings of the Profile, the Designer was choosing to show their Profile link on the Storefront of those Stores.

With Designer Attribution, even if we only use our first names in our Zazzle Profiles, any social media accounts, branded websites, etc. linked in our Profiles are now associated with Designs we preferred to keep separate, for any number of reasons. Politics + Weddings. Sexually Explicit + Baby Showers. Old Ugly Designs That Sell + I'm a Better Designer Now. I'm sure that's not good for my brand – is it good for Zazzle's?

Did we agree to this by accepting the updated Privacy Policy? I don't see where we did, and I am wondering how revealing Designer identities doesn't directly violate Zazzle's own Privacy Policy.

Like others, I would also like to split off some Stores to a separate account, if there is no option to keep my personally identifiable information from being associated with everything I've ever published or will publish.
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:57:19 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Like others, I would also like to split off some Stores to a separate account, if there is no option to keep my personally identifiable information from being associated with everything I've ever published or will publish.


Yes, this is a great idea. Instead of starting over new can we unlink these stores from our main accounts so we don't loose all our hard work already put into these designs. It would be so much better than deleting and recreating it all in a new account.
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:20:53 AM
Seeing how things are going down with the "chat," it seems like our issues with this will be dismissed as well. Bummer.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 4:00:42 AM
Adding complexity is not the way to sell. Zazzle is confusing enough for a new customer by presenting itself as a DIY website.

I now have two different conflicting logos on every store, one for the store and the other for the designer. (More confusion for the buyer) I know some shopkeepers design controversial topics and would not want our unicorn store for children traced back to a political position in these violent times. It would be better to appear as two different businesses. Some of us (who have multiple domain names) would rather every store appear as an independent business without creating multiple accounts.

How do I remove the designer option?

KISS

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 4:26:07 AM
If the "designer attribution" and the "chatroom" show the store avatar and information and collections of the store that the customer is currently visiting, instead of the profile picture and info as it is now, it would remove a lot of confusion and create more clarity for both, the customer & the designer with unrelated stores.

JMHOLove
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 9:49:32 AM
yoursparklingshop wrote:
If the "designer attribution" and the "chatroom" show the store avatar and information and collections of the store that the customer is currently visiting, instead of the profile picture and info as it is now, it would remove a lot of confusion and create more clarity for both, the customer & the designer with unrelated stores.

JMHOLove


Idea Great idea.
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:38:46 AM
Has any consideration been given to those of us who need separate shop identities? Splitting off accounts? Create a new shop type? Or...?
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:16:25 AM
It's been over a week with no news from Zazzle on this. I get the feeling they really don't care about the designers and their concerns with this.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 11:00:17 AM
Well over a month later and nothing was done to fix the issue of private stores being linked to our main profile page and no updates from @zazzle meant I have just deleted every single product from this store. If there was a way that I could delete the store I sure would but I do want to keep my other stores in the account so I guess I have no way to delete the store except setting it private. But @zazzle when are you guys going to answer your questions from all the designers? Over a month and no updates from @zazzle? Really?!?!?!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 11:24:25 AM
I want to collab on designs with my cousin. I'm an illustrator and she does hand lettering. I would like to be able to take some of her hand-lettering designs and incorporate them into my illustrations and apply the designs to products. I know this is possible, however, I would like to post these designed products for sale on my shop or she could post them on her's (vice versa) and the products could both be linked so that we both get an even share of royalties for our artwork when the products are purchased. How cool would that be to collab with other designers!?
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 11:49:23 AM
Noël ILL wrote:
I want to collab on designs with my cousin. I'm an illustrator and she does hand lettering. I would like to be able to take some of her hand-lettering designs and incorporate them into my illustrations and apply the designs to products. I know this is possible, however, I would like to post these designed products for sale on my shop or she could post them on her's (vice versa) and the products could both be linked so that we both get an even share of royalties for our artwork when the products are purchased. How cool would that be to collab with other designers!?


While this post is a bit off topic I do want to reply to it just to make clear that I realize that just because one designer doesn't like a new feature does not mean others won't love it, as this post illustrates.

And that is why when I do respond to things I am not crazy about I always ask for an opt out...so that I can make my choice to not participate and others who want to can make their choice to not opt out.

I know Zazzle is not all about me and what I want... but the choice should always be offered to allow us to pass on the things we are not interested in or can't do for whatever reasons.





Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 12:34:11 PM
Angelandspot1 wrote:
Any updates on fixing the privacy issues? I would really like to unhide the stores and products I have hidden because of the linking to the designer and not the store issues.

A few years ago, me and several other designers were collaborating on a project together. One of the designers, who will remain nameless, held the keys to the software we were using to code the website and I had the domain. Right after launch, the designer who controlled the software up and disappeared. The rest of us decided that it would be too difficult to start over so we abandoned the project and it eventually went 404.

I only knew this person by their branding. I didn't know this persons real name. I was really worried about this person so, I tried to reach out here and on social media to no response. I checked up on them occasionally and it appeared that they had stopped creating products or adding to social media around the same time. I eventually came to the realization that this person might have passed on to the great beyond. I mourned this person.

Cut to the end, due to the removal of anonymity in the designer attribution, I figured out today through one of their old stores product customization that this person simply rebranded and hid their old brand. Apparently they are still here publishing products and have a whole new brand name and social media presence. I have no idea why this person ghosted our project or decided to stop posting in the forums or why they rebranded. While I am happy that they are alive, as it would appear, it was a little weird finding out the way I did. Like I opened a door that I shouldn't have.

Anyway, just food for thought.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 12:34:28 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

I know Zazzle is not all about me and what I want... but the choice should always be offered to allow us to pass on the things we are not interested in or can't do for whatever reasons.



All problems would instantly be solved with an opt out, and there wouldn't be weeks of posts from upset designers.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:07:26 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

I know Zazzle is not all about me and what I want... but the choice should always be offered to allow us to pass on the things we are not interested in or can't do for whatever reasons.



All problems would instantly be solved with an opt out, and there wouldn't be weeks of posts from upset designers.


I know right? it is almost as if it is too simple... Idea
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:06:58 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:12:59 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...


I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

All I need is your email address and I can invite you to collab on your own design right from the MP.

Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:13:15 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...


SHίTTTTT!!! So zazzle is transferring our copyrights left and right.

ARE THEY NUTS????????


Yes, I'm shouting! I'm angry! This is in no way in any ones book acceptable!
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:19:42 PM

Quote:
The copyright to any Content that results from a Collaboration, whether a “final” product or in-progress (collectively, “Collaborative Content”), may be jointly owned by all Collaborators under 17 U.S. Code Title 17, but each hereby agrees that THE RIGHT TO EXPLOIT THE COPYRIGHT TO THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE AS A “PUBLIC” PRODUCT SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE INITIATOR OF THE RELEVANT COLLABORATION SESSION (“Collaboration Initiator”). EACH COLLABORATOR HEREBY GRANTS TO THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR A NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ASSETS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE.


Who was the brianiac behind that?
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:28:52 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...


I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

All I need is your email address and I can invite you to collab on your own design right from the MP.



This is what I was concerned about after I read through the collaboration part in the terms and the reason for my post in another thread. It seems as though anyone can start a collaboration on their own without any safeguards to prevent it. There is a warning about exploitation but what actually qualifies as exploitation when free reign is given? I'm very sad right now after all the years and countless hours I've spent (as you all have) here and developing my art/style. I don't want to leave but... Zazzle please please let us know what is going on and that you are fixing these terms. They are just not acceptable as they are. If I leave I want to be certain my artwork in all its forms is actually gone. I am the owner of my artwork and I won't consent to just giving it away.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:40:05 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...


I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

All I need is your email address and I can invite you to collab on your own design right from the MP.



Shelli, RoyK just checked, is if two strangers can start a collaboration on any product and she could. The rights owner needn't be in on it. There is no NO THANK YOU there is probably not even a notification.

Your copyrights go puff. Byebye.
Oh, dear

UNBELIVABLE
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 5:59:38 PM
vivendulies wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the Designer Attribution sidebar doesn't appear when an invitee clicks into a Collaboration? There's no indication who the original Designer is (or should I say "was"). In the case of the Published Product I just collaborated with my imaginary friend on, it's not my Product. Or hers.

Just like when someone opens something from Saved Designs...


I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

All I need is your email address and I can invite you to collab on your own design right from the MP.



Shelli, RoyK just checked, is if two strangers can start a collaboration on any product and she could. The rights owner needn't be in on it. There is no NO THANK YOU there is probably not even a notification.

Your copyrights go puff. Byebye.
Oh, dear

UNBELIVABLE


Unbelievable is the understatement of the decade.
I can't even...
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 7:59:05 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

Yep. I commented about this some days ago in another thread because the terms did make it sound like any random "initiator" suddenly gets the sole rights to do whatever they please with the content involved in a collaboration. I am not sure if the terms have actually been re-worked since then or if I am just interpreting them with a different mind now but here is how it is written as of tonight (11/8):
Quote:
6.1.4. Any text and/or other media uploaded by Users (“Elements”) who participate in a certain Collaboration (each, a “Collaborator”) shall be considered “Content,” as defined in Section 1.2 hereof.

6.1.5. The copyright to any Content that results from a Collaboration, whether a “final” product or in-progress (collectively, “Collaborative Content”), may be jointly owned by all Collaborators under 17 U.S. Code Title 17, but each hereby agrees that THE RIGHT TO EXPLOIT THE COPYRIGHT TO THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE AS A “PUBLIC” (i.e., POSTED FOR SALE) PRODUCT SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE INITIATOR OF THE RELEVANT COLLABORATION SESSION (“Collaboration Initiator”). EACH COLLABORATOR HEREBY GRANTS TO THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR A NONEXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ELEMENTS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE IN PERPETUITY. For the sake of clarity:

6.1.5.1.
The Collaboration Initiator is only granted the aforementioned rights in the Collaborative Content, and not to any of the Elements provided by any other Collaborators.

6.1.5.2.
Collaborators may create private (i.e., for purchase by the Collaborator, not posted for sale on the Site) Products featuring the Collaborative Content.

6.1.5.3.
COLLABORATORS WHO ARE NOT THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR HEREBY AGREE THAT THEY WILL NOT UPLOAD THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT TO THE SITE AS A PUBLIC PRODUCT, AND THAT DOING SO COULD BE GROUNDS FOR ZAZZLE, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, TO DELETE SUCH PRODUCT AND/OR TAKE OTHER ACTION UP TO AND INCLUDING DELETION OF SUCH COLLABORATOR’S ZAZZLE ACCOUNT.

But 6.1.5 seems to directly contradict 6.1.5.1 so I am still confused.
6.1.4 clearly says that each piece of a final design is an element and 6.1.5 says the initiator is granted any/all rights to those elements, but then 6.1.5.1 says the rights granted to the initiator are only to the final design as a whole and not the individual elements making up that piece, which as I said contradicts the 6.1.5 above it.

I believe that Zazzle's intent is to give the initiator the rights to do whatever they want with the finished design as a whole but not to the individual pieces (elements) from other designers that went into it BUT the UA is still muddling terminology where it shouldn't be muddled. I dunn'o.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 8:07:28 PM
Col's Creations wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I did notice this, and I noticed that I could open another designers design and invite them to collab on it.. making me the initiator and according to the new terms wouldn't I now hold the (C)? I didn't actually invite them but I was one click away...

Yep. I commented about this some days ago in another thread because the terms did make it sound like any random "initiator" suddenly gets the sole rights to do whatever they please with the content involved in a collaboration. I am not sure if the terms have actually been re-worked since then or if I am just interpreting them with a different mind now but here is how it is written as of tonight (11/8):
Quote:
6.1.4. Any text and/or other media uploaded by Users (“Elements”) who participate in a certain Collaboration (each, a “Collaborator”) shall be considered “Content,” as defined in Section 1.2 hereof.

6.1.5. The copyright to any Content that results from a Collaboration, whether a “final” product or in-progress (collectively, “Collaborative Content”), may be jointly owned by all Collaborators under 17 U.S. Code Title 17, but each hereby agrees that THE RIGHT TO EXPLOIT THE COPYRIGHT TO THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE AS A “PUBLIC” (i.e., POSTED FOR SALE) PRODUCT SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE INITIATOR OF THE RELEVANT COLLABORATION SESSION (“Collaboration Initiator”). EACH COLLABORATOR HEREBY GRANTS TO THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR A NONEXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ELEMENTS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE IN PERPETUITY. For the sake of clarity:

6.1.5.1.
The Collaboration Initiator is only granted the aforementioned rights in the Collaborative Content, and not to any of the Elements provided by any other Collaborators.

6.1.5.2.
Collaborators may create private (i.e., for purchase by the Collaborator, not posted for sale on the Site) Products featuring the Collaborative Content.

6.1.5.3.
COLLABORATORS WHO ARE NOT THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR HEREBY AGREE THAT THEY WILL NOT UPLOAD THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT TO THE SITE AS A PUBLIC PRODUCT, AND THAT DOING SO COULD BE GROUNDS FOR ZAZZLE, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, TO DELETE SUCH PRODUCT AND/OR TAKE OTHER ACTION UP TO AND INCLUDING DELETION OF SUCH COLLABORATOR’S ZAZZLE ACCOUNT.

But 6.1.5 seems to directly contradict 6.1.5.1 so I am still confused.
6.1.4 clearly says that each piece of a final design is an element and 6.1.5 says the initiator is granted any/all rights to those elements, but then 6.1.5.1 says the rights granted to the initiator are only to the final design as a whole and not the individual elements making up that piece, which as I said contradicts the 6.1.5 above it.

I believe that Zazzle's intent is to give the initiator the rights to do whatever they want with the finished design as a whole but not to the individual pieces (elements) from other designers that went into it BUT the UA is still muddling terminology where it shouldn't be muddled. I dunn'o.


The word that is missing is transformable. What is there is in progress. Starting a collaboration and accepting makes it a work in progress. So nudging the element is making changes, adding a dot is changing ...

all not trans-formative changes but you have already given your rights away so say byebye to any control over your copyrights under these conditions.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 8:21:01 PM
Well, there's the way collaboration is supposed to work, vs. the strange licensing terms, vs. how it has actually been implemented.

From what I've read, it was apparently conceived as this scenario:

You have a design of your own, but want to collaborate with someone else to add something to it, tweak it, etc. So you invite them - you're the initiator, and you retain the rights to the finished collaboration. What you, the initiator can't do, is take the things added by the collaborator you invited, and use them outside the collaboration. The invited collaborator still owns the copyright to those pieces separate from the collaboration.

Now, if the implementation has poor controls, allowing you start customizing a design that isn't yours, and then invite a collaborator to work on it (is that what I was reading above?), that seems like a serious problem. (Please tell me I misread an earlier conversation.)

As for the licensing terms, I'm not even going to try to figure them out.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded