Design tool Feedback 27 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Last
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:04:15 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
Maybe not quite as easy as just clicking on tile this image, as you have the move the image back to the center, but still really simple.

"Not quite as easy" isn't an improvement.

Um, I agree - but that quote isn't mine...
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:12:36 AM
Felosarix wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
Maybe not quite as easy as just clicking on tile this image, as you have the move the image back to the center, but still really simple.

"Not quite as easy" isn't an improvement.

Um, I agree - but that quote isn't mine...

I just saw what I did - I'm sorry. Android is my excuse. When on PC, I'll fix it!
Grin

ETA: Quote above fixed - it's Karen's and not Fuzzy's. Noting @Fuzzy agrees. ;)
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:26:06 AM
Felosarix wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Regarding the tile this image function, I have discovered just tonight, after someone commented that this could be done, that it's fairly easy to tile using the basic pattern function. Maybe not quite as easy as just clicking on tile this image, as you have the move the image back to the center, but still really simple. Just get your image that you want to tile to the size you want, then click on basic pattern. It will move to the side, but it's easy enough to recenter it, and it will stay centered. If you need to change the size of the image, then click on center in the patterns tool, change the size, then click back on basic pattern and then recenter your image. I have done it on both of these pillows, one with a regular image and one with a seamless image. Both worked out splendidly. I'm working with the old new design tool, but I'm assuming the pattern function works the same way in the new one.

Seamless to me means no white space. The simpler tiling tool doesn't require all this jumping back and forth to reposition and resize the base image in order to obtain a centered, seamless tiling.

If they don't bring back the simpler tiling tool, I just won't do seamless tiling on designs going forward. I hate working with the clunky pattern tool that much.

This!

I wish folks would understand that the Tiling tool and the Pattern tool are not the same and do not work the same. I need the titling tool back.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:32:39 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Stuart wrote:
The new design tool is great .. soooo much faster, intuitive and better laid out! To the guys who have yet to experience it .. don't panic as the list of negativity on this forum I think, is mostly unfounded. It took me all of 20 minutes to find my way around and am now happily designing away at superfast speed!

It's likely a matter of how a person works, how they design, what they design. A huge number of us create images in our image editors, upload those images, and then compose in the design tool. It is with that kind of workflow that the new design tool fails. Perhaps a better way to say it is that those who've yet to experience the changes will react depending on their style and workflow. I suspect experienced photographers will have fewer problems than experienced graphic artists.

Thank you also for saying something.

I wouldn't mind the tool except the 3 things I need the most were removed. That has hindered my workflow tremendously!

RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

I'm sorry, but removing basic tools and making things not quite as easy is no improvement.

This can't be said enough!
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:36:34 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Regarding the tile this image function, I have discovered just tonight, after someone commented that this could be done, that it's fairly easy to tile using the basic pattern function. Maybe not quite as easy as just clicking on tile this image, as you have the move the image back to the center, but still really simple. Just get your image that you want to tile to the size you want, then click on basic pattern. It will move to the side, but it's easy enough to recenter it, and it will stay centered. If you need to change the size of the image, then click on center in the patterns tool, change the size, then click back on basic pattern and then recenter your image. I have done it on both of these pillows, one with a regular image and one with a seamless image. Both worked out splendidly. I'm working with the old new design tool, but I'm assuming the pattern function works the same way in the new one.

But moving back to the center COMPLETELY eliminates my ability to size and position my SEAMLESS TILE so that I have a full chevron at the top and bottom of the duvet. I have an additional 12-13 products with the same design where it becomes even more critical to being able to resize and POSITION seamless tile in order to provide a quality product design.

Has Zazzle suddenly become more enamored of anything, anyway on any product instead of providing QUALITY?

Tiling in NO way follows any of the requirements that the pattern option provides.

Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:48:33 AM
Gosh sorry for causing offence Crying

On no occasion did I mention peoples feedback as being unfounded - that is the whole point of this post.. to gather feedback on how the tool works for designers, which is vitally important - but there is a lot of negativity which is concerning to those who have yet to experience the new tool - I was reassuring them that it does have a lot of great features and really works for some of us Love Love Love
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:51:24 AM
In the OldNewDesignTool, double-clicking an image acts the same as Change Image - it brings up the Image Uploader/Albums.

In the NewNewDesignTool, double-clicking an image brings up the Crop pop-up. That seems like a change for the sake of change.

If the New acted like the Old, that would work in lieu of adding the Change Image button if and only if the Select Layer issue were resolved, i.e. lower layers stayed selected when clicking into the design grid.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:05:48 AM
Did we lose incremental, tiny 1-degree rotation via the on-screen Rotate Tool? It looks like we did, and that would be another problem when we're working with lower layers.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:19:34 AM
I think I saw somewhere that a Z Mod said we have zoom now inside the Design Tool.

Under Shortcuts, it says:
Quote:
Scale bigger CTRL ++
Scale smaller CTRL --

In old, outdated Opera, all that does is zoom my BROWSER window, and it makes the Design Area blurry. Is that how that's supposed to work?
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:35:08 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:
I have serious problem with the designers for designers statement especially when we are told the tile option was deliberately removed!

This is a clock using a seamless tile that I worked on for months removing 1 pixel from the width at a time then probably another pixel from the height. Each time required flood filling a large area to check how well the image worked as a seamless tile.

This duvet uses the exact same seamless tile that required multiple retries at resizing and repositioning on the product in order to achieve positioning of the points to insure there was a full chevron on both the top and the bottom.

ANYONE that has ever worked with creating a seamless tile knows ALL of the pitfalls that happens during the process. Having done all that work only to discover that the tiling options was deliberatly removed?????????????????

The tile option needs to restored.

yes! while the pattern tiling may work great for tiling designs with transparent backgrounds it does not work great for seamless pattern tiles and when you move them in an attempt to center the pattern everything gets screwed up. I work hard in Gimp to get my tiles to a point where a simple tiling tool creates a seamless pattern and now all that work is for nothing? Don't get me wrong I still use the pattern tool for tiling other things and for mirroring fractals but it is useless for seamless patterns IMO.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:37:38 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I work hard in Gimp to get my tiles to a point where a simple tiling tool creates a seamless pattern and now all that work is for nothing? Don't get me wrong I still use the pattern tool for tiling other things and for mirroring fractals but it is useless for seamless patterns IMO.

So do I in vector, and if basic tiling is not given back then I just don't upload those designs on Z any more; they all go to other PODs.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:52:04 AM
Actually, the more I work with the new design tool the more flaws I find. Like, in the old one clicking Add Text instantly got you a text box where you typed. Now, after clicking T icon you get the tab and should click the box to be able to type. Another extra click. How on the earth is this an improvement?

Call it an unfounded outcry if you wish but I want the old tool back. I don't want adapt to this new tool; it doesn't work for me. I am happy for those who like the new tool; I think Z only wins if allows those who don't like it to use the old one.

I'd like to remind that the products created with the old tool do sell; I am able to create more and better products using the old tool; I am not able to do that with the new one nearly as quickly as before. My products not published because of that is money missed not by me only but by Z as well. If Z lets me use the old tool with its full functionality, we both win. If not, then to be honest earning the same amount of money spending 5 times more time makes me just uninterested.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:02:37 AM
Feedback other than I will refuse to use it if it becomes permanent?

As a non tech sophisticate I wouldn't be surprised if many customers matched me.

It took me 5 minutes to find to find 'add text', how to get past the front of a greeting card (I don't consider that a "layer" and doubt customers will). I never did find how to make a template. I readily admit I'm not at the level of most designers here but I firmly believe that the majority of customers are at my level.

I also noted that it didn't default to 5x7 (and I'll have to check to see if my other recent products did the same) but that may be because I'll be darned if figuring the paper products now has the least bit of logic to me.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:03:20 AM
WittyBetty wrote:
Actually, the more I work with the new design tool the more flaws I find. Like, in the old one clicking Add Text instantly got you a text box where you typed. Now, after clicking T icon you get the tab and should click the box to be able to type. Another extra click. How on the earth is this an improvement?

Call it an unfounded outcry if you wish but I want the old tool back. I don't want adapt to this new tool; it doesn't work for me. I am happy for those who like the new tool; I think Z only wins if allows those who don't like it to use the old one.

I'd like to remind that the products created with the old tool do sell; I am able to create more and better products using the old tool; I am not able to do that with the new one nearly as quickly as before. My products not published because of that is money missed not by me only but by Z as well. If Z lets me use the old tool with its full functionality, we both win. If not, then to be honest earning the same amount of money spending 5 times more time makes me just uninterested.

I agree.

Why couldn't this rollout be like the last one, where we could choose which tool we wanted to work with. Using a different browser is not a solution.

I swore off Chrome and all the others and I am not going to use anything but FF and I shouldn't have to change browsers or clear my cookies or anything else like that just so I can use the old tool again.

There should be an option in our settings like there was last time. at least until you finish your testing, so that I can continue with the plans I had to get things published during this last part of the year.

So far the only thing I have found that I can still design quickly in the new tool are fractals because they are pretty basic, but even they take twice as long as they should.

Eta: Just so you know I am not just against new things all the time, when the last new tool did come out and we had a choice which one to work with, I chose the new one because I did like it better than the one before it. This time with the features that are missing I can't say the same.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:44:13 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I think I saw somewhere that a Z Mod said we have zoom now inside the Design Tool.

Quote:
Scale bigger CTRL ++
Scale smaller CTRL --

In old, outdated Opera, all that does is zoom my BROWSER window, and it makes the Design Area blurry. Is that how that's supposed to work?

That only scales the selected element. It doesn't zoom the canvas.

Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:49:10 AM
Jerry wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Quote:
Scale bigger CTRL ++
Scale smaller CTRL --

Well, if it didn't zoom my entire browser window and did that instead, that's not helpful to me either. I need to see the element as it relates to the other elements and the Product. Not just that one element zoomed. Is that helpful to anyone else?
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:55:38 AM
This? Appears on the right hand side, bottom
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:55:45 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Well, if it didn't zoom my entire browser window and did that instead, that's not helpful to me either. I need to see the element as it relates to the other elements and the Product. Not just that one element zoomed. Is that helpful to anyone else?

Try highlighting a design element and see if it works. If nothing is selected I also get a page zoom in Chrome.

It's just a keyboard shortcut to the 'Scale' buttons in the tool.

That button explodes the product preview, James. Which is cool to have. This is another thought that I had. The icon used looks too much like the classic 'move' icon. It should instead look more like the classic magnifying glass icon imho.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:58:13 AM
Not that, James.

CTRL key and PLUS Key is supposed to be a zoom of some sort.

I'll try that, Jerry. Thanks.

ETA: Nope. Entire browser zooms, whether I select Text, Image/graphic, or Shape.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:04:12 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Jerry wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Quote:
Scale bigger CTRL ++
Scale smaller CTRL --

I just tried it and found that all it really is for me is the same as enlarging my browser window. As I was trying to scale back down using
CTRL-- it kicked me out of the design tool and the product page was also zoomed in. (and blurry) Maybe it is different for other browsers? idk. I use FF.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:04:44 AM
With a view to trying to figure out why the layout was putting me off my feed so badly, I started playing. Things seem strangely hidden when there's more than enough room for them, and others are spread out--left, top, right. Sitting back, I could see there seemed a desire to keep things looking simple. That may be the causative agent in those hidden tools. They need not be hidden, the surface need not be spaciously laid out. We're all used to image editors where everything is a cacophonous traffic jam, and where we quickly learn to find what we need because it's not hidden.

I, at least, give you permission to cram it all in there. If you want simplicity for the customers, you can have it that way along with a button for the Advanced version. Their hair may stand on end and they'll go back to simplicity, or they'll shout, "Whoopee!" and dive right in. They'll be happy, we'll find everything and be happy, and you'll be happy because we'll stop bellyaching (as soon as you give us back the direction pad, change image, and tiling).

Solved! Grin

Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:06:27 AM
Jerry wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Try highlighting a design element and see if it works. If nothing is selected I also get a page zoom in Chrome.

It's just a keyboard shortcut to the 'Scale' buttons in the tool.

That button explodes the product preview, James. Which is cool have. This is another thought that I had. The icon used looks to much like the classic 'move' icon. It should instead look more like the classic magnifying glass icon imho.

I just tried that and clicked out of the design tool and still my entire browser was zoomed.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:14:02 AM
Good morning (from the West Coast here).

Thank you all for the continued feedback and comments! We are continuing to listen and take notes of them all and therefore, wanted to provide an update.

For starters, we are not planning to have an opt out/opt in option for this. We really think you will learn to love this tool more as you get use to it, so we hope you will continue to work with the tool and provide us more feedback on it.

We will also bring back the "change image" button and tiling feature! Yay! Grin No ETA on that yet but... it's coming.

That's all I have for now. We will report back here once we have more updates to provide.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:19:43 AM
I have the new tool on my iPad in Safari now. It doesn't work. The canvas doesn't load. The right pane doesn't load. Most of the buttons, that are showing, do not work.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:20:27 AM
Christine wrote:

We will also bring back the "change image" button and tiling feature! Yay! Grin No ETA on that yet but... it's coming.

thank you for that!

I hope you please consider also giving us back the basic tiling tool under more...

I really need that.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:31:42 AM
Kevin wrote:
Thank you all for providing us with your feedback. In regards to the removal of the directional pad, this was definitely a tough decision, but one that we felt will be beneficial long-term. One thing that we noticed was that other design tools on the internet or on a desktop (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) do not have a directional pad available either. We have retained the scaling and snapping tools, which can be used to move and align layers with precision. The keyboard shortcuts are still available and using the arrow keys works the same way as the directional pad. We’re hoping that we can expand the capabilities of these keyboard shortcuts over time.

I've tried the new design tool and, although it will take a bit of time to get used to, I like the speed of use, and the size of the design area.

However, I'm really, really sad to see the directional pad go. I used this a lot. Being able to centre an item quickly and accurately is really useful, and I find using the direction arrows is easier than dragging.

The other thing I miss is the change image option. Having to delete and start again with a new image is tedious.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:34:57 AM
Christine wrote:

That's all I have for now. We will report back here once we have more updates to provide.

Just seen this! I'm delighted the change image button is coming back - sooner rather than later I hope!
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:35:03 AM
Christine wrote:

thank you for that!

I hope you please consider also giving us back the basic tiling tool under more...

I really need that.

Isn't that the tiling tool she is referring to? It is the one I been continually asking for.

@Christine, thank you for the update. I am glad that 2 of 3 things I am missing will be returning. Now if that Directional Pad could return I would be all set!
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:49:38 AM
Christine wrote:

Thank you all for the continued feedback and comments! We are continuing to listen and take notes of them all and therefore, wanted to provide an update.

For starters, we are not planning to have an opt out/opt in option for this. We really think you will learn to love this tool more as you get use to it, so we hope you will continue to work with the tool and provide us more feedback on it.

No mention of the directional / center tool? Will this be coming back? This is a very important tool for those of us who design with many layers. PLEASE..bring this very important tool back.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:14:24 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Christine wrote:

thank you for that!

I really need that.

Isn't that the tiling tool she is referring to? It is the one I been continually asking for.

@Christine, thank you for the update. I am glad that 2 of 3 things I am missing will be returning. Now if that Directional Pad could return I would be all set!

yes, I looked right it and somehow did not see that part... I must need a nap already today...

apologies Christine!

but Yay! and Thank you! Love Roses Love

that is 2 down 1 to go!