Copyright vulnerability in the new terms 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 6:06:25 PM
to be continued ...

■ Case four: Anybody intitiates an collaboration with anyone

I didn't imagine zazzle would allow any collaboration without the rights holder of the art. Apparently I was wrong. Somebody tried and could. So any content on zazzle will be subject to the collaboration terms and you grant to any and all zazzle user the right to initiate a collaboration with your art in it. The initiator gets a NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ASSETS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE.

That is carte blanche. The on site is hardly strong enough since the sublicensable isn't restricted, transferable isn't restricted.

Distribute clearly and unmistakably says hand it out to anybody if you want, we don't give a sh...

UNBELIEVABLE

Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 6:48:30 PM
Shocked . . . slides out the thread to go see what designs I need to go delete first.
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 9:17:34 PM

I'm the account with the copyright

See icon in the lower left corner.

Silke is the invitor and initiator of the collaboration

Silke initiated the collaboration. The window was closed and reopened in the saved folder of Silke and my icon is gone.

This is Silkester, she is the invitee

As you can see, she has no clue from the start who the original author of this content is. Don't get mixed up with the icon it is not from my vivendulies account on zazzle but from my google account.

I could login with any email address and initiate a collaboration with anybody. This is basically anonymous A initiating a collaboration with anonymous B on any and all content.

Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 9:30:06 PM

BTW I just checked the collaboration tool on a Disney product, and what do you know, Disney will grant me extensive rights on their design come November 22nd 2019 should Disney remain on zazzle and the terms stand.

Isn't that nice. It is definitely in progress already I slapped an icon smack in the middle of the card with a happy face so I even made the first alteration.

Isn't that kind and generous of Disney, right?
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 10:01:24 PM
Silke wrote:

BTW I just checked the collaboration tool on a Disney product, and what do you know, Disney will grant me extensive rights on their design come November 22nd 2019 should Disney remain on zazzle and the terms stand.

Isn't that nice. It is definitely in progress already I slapped an icon smack in the middle of the card with a happy face so I even made the first alteration.

Can of worms !
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 2:28:17 AM
Silke wrote:

She's kidding. Or rather I'm kidding. Everybody, you get that, right all?
Disney is infamous for getting nasty, when it comes to their copyrights.

It doesn't mean that the little guy isn't extremely vulnerable because of all those changes and looses most of the control over his or her copyrights.

And don' forget, there are some who look at it very differently and/or vehemently disagree.

m(_ _)m
I'm an artist and designer
and this is a forum.

When in doubt ask
your trusted attorney.

And there is still some time left until
November 22nd 2019
so don't act in anger or haste.
Sleep over it and when you had coffee
plan thoroughly what needs to be done when.
My 2cent
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 5:03:20 AM
vivendulies wrote:
to be continued ...

I didn't imagine zazzle would allow any collaboration without the rights holder of the art. Apparently I was wrong. Somebody tried and could. So any content on zazzle will be subject to the collaboration terms and you grant to any and all zazzle user the right to initiate a collaboration with your art in it. The initiator gets a NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ASSETS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE.

That is carte blanche. The on site is hardly strong enough since the sublicensable isn't restricted, transferable isn't restricted.

Distribute clearly and unmistakably says hand it out to anybody if you want, we don't give a sh...

UNBELIEVABLE

Ok...so you are saying by this demonstration that our (and 3rd party) designs are already EASILY available for grabbing/breached license?
You mean that if we are going to do something...do it now as the TOS of the 22nd is actually in force now?
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 5:15:24 AM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
to be continued ...

UNBELIEVABLE

Ok...so you are saying by this demonstration that our (and 3rd party) designs are already EASILY available for grabbing/breached license?
You mean that if we are going to do something...do it now as the TOS of the 22nd is actually in force now?

I tell you as I see it and I don't hide mine or delete mine yet. But don't blame me one way or the other.

You can initiate a collaboration, which will according to zazzle new terms give the initiator extensive rights by the end of this months, if nothing changes until then.
Will there be hordes initiating collaboration? Highly doubtful!
Do we know one way or the other. Sadly no, because we don't get notified when somebody initiates a collaboration with our work.

Drink a cup of coffee and print out the terms, take a piece of paper and study it for yourself with marker and notes.

Then look at zazzles site, take your experience with the company into account and the internet in general with a cool head and make up your mind on your own.

Voice your opinion when you like something and make your concerns heard, if you don't like something and if you think your opinion can be helpful to others to form an opinion, share it.

Nothing more nothing less.

Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 5:42:19 AM
vivendulies wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
to be continued ...

UNBELIEVABLE

I tell you as I see it and I don't hide mine or delete mine yet. But don't blame me one way or the other.

You can initiate a collaboration, which will according to zazzle new terms give the initiator extensive rights by the end of this months, if nothing changes until then.
Will there be hordes initiating collaboration? Highly doubtful!
Do we know one way or the other. Sadly no, because we don't get notified when somebody initiates a collaboration with our work.

Drink a cup of coffee and print out the terms, take a piece of paper and study it for yourself with marker and notes.

Then look at zazzles site, take your experience with the company into account and the internet in general with a cool head and make up your mind on your own.

Voice your opinion when you like something and make your concerns heard, if you don't like something and if you think your opinion can be helpful to others to form an opinion, share it.

Nothing more nothing less.

I may not get all the legal jargon but I sure do get the demonstration you gave.
Anyone can grab anything any time. Not good for me as I am bound to licenses I have agreed on.
All it takes is JUST ONE breach and I am liable. So..to protect my precious behind...I will hide all except of few of my own art.

Today is the day.
Update: Only 1 product is now hidden
In process of deleting my 22K image library.
Then... clean up Saved Designs.

Anyone have idea when the servers will update and reflect my empty shop?

Have no clue what to do about Pintrest...deal with that later.
I don't think I can mass delete there.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 8:24:22 AM
Oh, this is all nuts. I am sad. I don't want to have to delete all of my hard work on Zazzle, but I feel like I must now--as so many others are doing.

Crying Crying Crying

It will all be gone by Nov 22nd unless I hear from Zazzle that they're repenting of this.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:06:08 AM
Krystine Kercher / Ms. Contrary wrote:
Oh, this is all nuts. I am sad. I don't want to have to delete all of my hard work on Zazzle, but I feel like I must now--as so many others are doing.

Crying Crying Crying

It will all be gone by Nov 22nd unless I hear from Zazzle that they're repenting of this.

For now I am hiding my products. I have no expectation that Zazzle will reverse it's decision. The software is there and being used.
It seems that I just can't delete it all...but I will. I just need it hidden so that I can record the designs which also prove I did them first.

As I witnessed in the thread above..their software is already allowing for the free-for-all. I think the 22nd is just about it being "written".

Deleting the image library is very tedious. I keep my bought and self-created images there. Now...after thousands of dollars, I am deleting them. Yes..I do have them (elements only) stored on an external..but not the completed designs.

Lesson I keep learning and learning...never have your main gig rely on a 3rd party.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:20:59 AM
I would strongly urge anyone with concerns to HIDE and NOT delete. I don't know the outcome here with the terms, but despite that Z has the power to reinstate deleted Products now and again, I doubt they will do it if we are the ones deleting. And I'm 100-percent sure Pinterest won't reinstate anything.

My concern with the terms isn't that Zazzle intended to give away my works; it's that the terms aren't clearly defined; they are clearly ambiguous. If they're rewritten properly, many will be able to honor their asset licensing arrangements.

Some points -

- Launching collaboration across the MP doesn't make the new terms effective. We are currently working under the pre-Nov. 22 terms.

- Having two people customize a Product isn't actually any different than one person doing the same RIGHT NOW, UNDER THE CURRENT TERMS.

- The manner in which our art is stolen today is no different than a month ago. Maybe your concern is the mindset of thieves knowing download is a thing on some parts of Zazzle now - I can't argue that - but don't do anything you can't undo, unless you're 100% sure you're leaving.

If we didn't know about Create or the new terms and downloading and "this mess," today would be a fine day to make sales. Let it be that, if you can. I'm aiming to earn as much as I can before 22nd forces my hand because trying to interpret the terms yet again and figure out intentions for the nth time seems a waste of time until we get well-constructed terms and answers.

Throwing more pennies in the fountain without a disclaimer because you're an adult, and we shouldn't have to tell you it's dangerous to make toast in the bathtub. ;)

And now going to make a pillow for a nice older lady who can't figure out the Design Tool.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:31:38 AM
As many others, am Crying What to do but hide items? And then delete? I've worked extensively with corporations regarding copyrights, licenses and usage. It's like navigating a landmine field. Too much at risk here.

It's been a lot to absorb. Giving a hearty thank you Love to all those who have persistently posted to inform and enlighten other Zazzlers.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:41:28 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

- The manner in which our art is stolen today is no different than a month ago. Maybe your concern is the mindset of thieves knowing download is a thing on some parts of Zazzle now - I can't argue that - but don't do anything you can't undo, unless you're 100% sure you're leaving.

This is actually quite true - the manner in which art is stolen hasn't changed - but my biggest concern is that Zazzle has actually, through this feature, legitimized it... I can go to any design and send myself an email to collaborate... which then grants me the following

EACH COLLABORATOR HEREBY GRANTS TO THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR A NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ASSETS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE.

so this appears to allows me to grant myself a license to anything on this site just by going there and offering myself a collaboration..... without even ever informing the original content producer that it happened.

I might feel better about this if I had to *accept* a collaboration and then these term would kick in, but that doesn't look like what is happening. I might even feel a bit better if the right was *only* for Zazzle related uses, but it isn't... it's listed as worldwide, sublicensable and transferable... Hi there pirates, come on in, we've just made it completely legal to take our designs....
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:42:33 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I would strongly urge anyone with concerns to HIDE and NOT delete. I don't know the outcome here with the terms, but despite that Z has the power to reinstate deleted Products now and again, I doubt they will do it if we are the ones deleting. And I'm 100-percent sure Pinterest won't reinstate anything.

My concern with the terms isn't that Zazzle intended to give away my works; it's that the terms aren't clearly defined; they are clearly ambiguous. If they're rewritten properly, many will be able to honor their asset licensing arrangements.

Some points -

- Launching collaboration across the MP doesn't make the new terms effective. We are currently working under the pre-Nov. 22 terms.

- Having two people customize a Product isn't actually any different than one person doing the same RIGHT NOW, UNDER THE CURRENT TERMS.

If we didn't know about Create or the new terms and downloading and "this mess," today would be a fine day to make sales. Let it be that, if you can. I'm aiming to earn as much as I can before 22nd forces my hand because trying to interpret the terms yet again and figure out intentions for the nth time seems a waste of time until we get well-constructed terms and answers.

Throwing more pennies in the fountain without a disclaimer because you're an adult, and we shouldn't have to tell you it's dangerous to make toast in the bathtub. ;)

And now going to make a pillow for a nice older lady who can't figure out the Design Tool.

Thanks Roy. I may have misunderstood the demonstration in Viven's posts.
So a person cannot download my designs ....yet?
Oh well. I guess I am losing a week of income.
I did delete a big chunk of my image library because I know that it will take a very long time. I still have a lot to do.

Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:46:53 AM

I did delete a big chunk of my image library because I know that it will take a very long time. I still have a lot to do.

From what I can tell the 'create' tool that allows downloads can be avoided. Regular market place items will not be downloadable - and your image library is not accessible to anyone, so deleting all of it now may be premature.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 9:47:45 AM
Please don't delete all your hard work. I'm positive all the kinks will be ironed out.

Reading between the lines of many posts here, people are reacting to perceived issues that don't (or won't) exist in reality.

Wait for the true facts to come out, not other's (mis)interpretations of what's a pretty complex new TOS.

I do understand everyone's concerns...

Pretty please, don't harm your work by reacting too soon and in the wrong way
Roses Roses Roses
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:03:39 AM
Invincible Penguin wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

This is actually quite true - the manner in which art is stolen hasn't changed - but my biggest concern is that Zazzle has actually, through this feature, legitimized it... I can go to any design and send myself an email to collaborate... which then grants me the following
[SNIP]

That's my concern, as well. But TODAY, those terms aren't effective. And while I'm *very* concerned about the mindset of people seeing the juxtaposition of "download and do anything" with Marketplace Products, TODAY, it's 'just' a collaboration in Webster's definition and not Cornell's law dictionary.

People can steal digital assets today the same way they did a month or six months ago. There is a vulnerability, yes, but the risk TODAY is no different than yesterday. The mindset TODAY is different, in my opinion, but not the RISK.

And I don't mean to make light of Viven's demonstration. Everything I saw in my test collab was noted in her posts. Plus, the Designer Attribution sidebar no longer appears when something comes out of Saved Designs, and that's concerning.

I am NOT saying "don't be concerned." I'm saying "proceed with caution; slippery rocks ahead."

Deleting is permanent (even if it exists somewhere in the cyber world nearly always). And... ya know... Mark's tool is throwing errors, and we all want to make sure that doesn't happen, right? ;)
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:04:06 AM

I don't guess around what zazzles intentions are. I read the terms as best as I understand legalese as a DESIGNER AND ARTIST. Most things in legalese are spelled out if not general law applies. If parts are against the law general rule of law applies.

Currently a collaboration is not much more than customization. I agree.
But it is labeled collaboration it is an invitation to collaborate and there is an initiator of said collaboration. So does this mean the collaboration isn't valid after Nov.22nd 2019.

I highly doubt it. If this was and is and will be a valid collaboration, then the terms apply and zazzle has created a copy I the original artist cannot delete.

I'm still on zazzle I agreed to the new zazzle terms at this time.

Aren't I validating the collaboration at this point? Zazzle has currently a transferabe license. The fact that it hasn't been used so far for the initiator of a collaboration doesn't exactly say they can't. You can fight it and you might win. But you definitely have to fight it and the arguments are not that bad for the opposing side.

I get nervous. BUT

Hesitate to delete or even hide, because the Holiday season is starting right now.

Because something can happen and can cause severe harm doesn't mean it will.

HOWEVER
in the end I don't have to live with the consequences of your action or inaction.

So I will not tell you one way or the other.

When in doubt ask your attorney.
I know weekend, it sucks.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:05:34 AM

From what I can tell the 'create' tool that allows downloads can be avoided. Regular market place items will not be downloadable - and your image library is not accessible to anyone, so deleting all of it now may be premature.

The actual new TOS does not protect MP products..regardless by what is promised here on the forum by a well intended admin.
Whatever is written in that document is what counts.
If it clearly states that our MP products will NOT be at risk and how..yes then...no point in leaving.

I did some damage by deleting a chunk of my library images.
Nothing that can be easily repaired...although not deal breaker.
I still have the files on my external.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:10:59 AM
vivendulies wrote:
But it is labeled collaboration it is an invitation to collaborate and there is an initiator of said collaboration. So does this mean the collaboration isn't valid after Nov.22nd 2019.

I highly doubt it. If this was and is and will be a valid collaboration, then the terms apply and zazzle has created a copy I the original artist cannot delete.

With much respect, Viven - and I think you know that - I disagree, from a legal perspective.

If someone collaborates today and the terms go into effect November 22, Zazzle would be hard-pressed to force those terms to apply to all historical collaborations.

My example would be buying a car with a legally binding warranty today; the car dealer changes the terms tomorrow and says I am bound by the new terms on yesterday's car. That's a non-starter.

I think it would be a tough court battle.

But I don't want to argue; just sharing a different viewpoint.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:13:30 AM
if you feel you must protect and get ready ahead of time (as I do) then hide things, don't delete yet...

you can always delete in masse later if necessary
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:13:54 AM

Oh gosh...if they can't download my stuff now... then I had better wake up those products again.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:50:31 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
vivendulies wrote:

With much respect, Viven - and I think you know that - I disagree, from a legal perspective.

If someone collaborates today and the terms go into effect November 22, Zazzle would be hard-pressed to force those terms to apply to all historical collaborations.

My example would be buying a car with a legally binding warranty today; the car dealer changes the terms tomorrow and says I am bound by the new terms on yesterday's car. That's a non-starter.

I think it would be a tough court battle.

But I don't want to argue; just sharing a different viewpoint.

And I appreciate this very much because it makes people think for themselves.

Not what I'm saying. The collaboration carries through. The thing remains in the chat to be called upon at any time. The initiator is still the initiator. And because zazzle has unspecified transfer in in the current terms, this part will not change at all with the new term. And I think it is a key element which makes this fight not clear cut.

When zazzle decided to sell on amazon they made use of the transferable license. No prior consent necessary. We have precedent with this already.

Undefined transferable always makes me nervous to some extend, which is why I take a mental note with the slightest changes.

But I'm NOT AN EXPERT! It's an opinion. I mean it, REALLY when in doubt ask your attorney. And whatever somebody does, thinks or not does, he or she will have to live with the consequences, whether I voice my concerns intensely or not.

Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:56:50 AM
Oh gosh...if they can't download my stuff now... then I had better wake up those products again.

Yep, "hide/unhide/hide/hide more/unhide some" ... taking a break, as many others, stress level is over the top.
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 10:59:52 AM
Renee Monica wrote:
stress level is over the top.

same here
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 11:05:06 AM
vivendulies wrote:
Not what I'm saying. The collaboration carries through. The thing remains in the chat to be called upon at any time. The initiator is still the initiator.

Oh, oh, OH! I see and saw! Yes, chat and email notifications apparently blew up last night - that's why my 3x tries didn't go through to do more testing. When it all came back up, YES, the collab was still 'active,' and if I opened the collab Product from my Saved Designs, it went right back into collab mode.

So start the collab today.

Walk away.

Open it November 23.

It's still a collab.

That is what you're saying? Yes, then I agree with that. THAT, in my opinion, would be a valid concern to collab being launched pre-November 22. That gives me something new to think about today. (But, dang it, I had enough on my platter already!)

Another worm creeping out of the can. Good catch, Viven!
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 11:07:28 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Not what I'm saying. The collaboration carries through. The thing remains in the chat to be called upon at any time. The initiator is still the initiator.

Oh, oh, OH! I see and saw! Yes, chat and email notifications apparently blew up last night - that's why my 3x tries didn't go through to do more testing. When it all came back up, YES, the collab was still 'active,' and if I opened the collab Product from my Saved Designs, it went right back into collab mode.

Walk away.

Open it November 23.

It's still a collab.

That is what you're saying? Yes, then I agree with that. THAT, in my opinion, would be a valid concern to collab being launched pre-November 22. That gives me something new to think about today. (But, dang it, I had enough on my platter already!)

"in progress" starts today but with no way to delete or end it BIG can of worms.

where is that part of the terms that talk about in progress?
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 11:13:38 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
vivendulies wrote:

Walk away.

Open it November 23.

It's still a collab.

"in progress" starts today but with no way to delete or end it BIG can of worms.

where is that part of the terms that talk about in progress?

Quote:
6.1.5. The copyright to any Content that results from a Collaboration, whether a “final” product or in-progress (collectively, “Collaborative Content”), may be jointly owned by all Collaborators under 17 U.S. Code Title 17, but each hereby agrees that THE RIGHT TO EXPLOIT THE COPYRIGHT TO THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE AS A “PUBLIC” PRODUCT SHALL BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE INITIATOR OF THE RELEVANT COLLABORATION SESSION (“Collaboration Initiator”). EACH COLLABORATOR HEREBY GRANTS TO THE COLLABORATION INITIATOR A NONEXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, SUBLICENSABLE AND TRANSFERABLE RIGHT AND LICENSE TO USE, COPY, REPRODUCE, PREPARE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, MODIFY, PUBLICLY DISPLAY, PERFORM AND DISTRIBUTE ASSETS AS CONTAINED IN THE COLLABORATIVE CONTENT ON THE SITE. For the sake of clarity:
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 11:17:09 AM
thank you Vivendulies