Change the Wording in the Search Box to the Marketplace! 3 pages: [1] 2 3
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:40:47 AM
"What do you want to make today?" is wrong and unethical. I am a long time published designer and the crochet designs are photos of my own original handmade creations. My crochet designs in the marketplace are copyrighted and the products I design with the photos are NOT customizable nor should my photo images be downloaded.

https://africreations.com
https://deloreschamblin.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delores_Chamblin
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:08:32 PM
Your designs are not downloadable. Unsure what that has to do with the wording in the search box.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:09:31 PM
Products with my crochet creations on Zazzle are bought as is. It has always been that way.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 12:17:37 PM
Scott wrote:
Your designs are not downloadable. Unsure what that has to do with the wording in the search box.

It looks like the designs can just be copied or available for use. Right clicking of images should be disabled immediately also.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 2:37:28 PM
The homepage doesn't make sense because "Marketplace" doesn't take you to the marketplace. And the search box for the marketplace is suggesting that all in the marketplace is available to be "made."

Create your own, customize and non-customizable are all different. If Zazzle wants to add words to the search box it should be something like "Customize, Buy As Is, or Create Your Own" not suggest that all in the marketplace is available for use and have the images right clickable. And in addition promote free images and downloads.

Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 4:01:16 PM
AfriCreations wrote:
The homepage doesn't make sense because "Marketplace" doesn't take you to the marketplace. And the search box for the marketplace is suggesting that all in the marketplace is available to be "made."

Create your own, customize and non-customizable are all different. If Zazzle wants to add words to the search box it should be something like "Customize, Buy As Is, or Create Your Own" not suggest that all in the marketplace is available for use and have the images right clickable. And in addition promote free images and downloads.

Design images on your product page shouldn't be right clickable. I realize that there are semi-hidden exceptions, which I will not point out in the public forums. But if you are experiencing the ability to right click on your product images, something is not right.

I share in your discontent concerning the chosen terminology in the search field. We have been discussing it in this thread, as well as the functionality of the 'marketplace' link, if you would like to add your comments there.
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:49:11 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:

Design images on your product page shouldn't be right clickable. I realize that there are semi-hidden exceptions, which I will not point out in the public forums. But if you are experiencing the ability to right click on your product images, something is not right.

I share in your discontent concerning the chosen terminology in the search field. We have been discussing it in this thread, as well as the functionality of the 'marketplace' link, if you would like to add your comments there.

I didn't mention product pages. My post is about the search box to the marketplace and how its worded and what is actually in the marketplace (or whatever the section of the site the search box leads to is called). So its not about the products pages.
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 6:47:50 AM
AfriCreations wrote:

I didn't mention product pages. My post is about the search box to the marketplace and how its worded and what is actually in the marketplace (or whatever the section of the site the search box leads to is called). So its not about the products pages.

Yeah, we are discussing the search box and its wording in the thread I linked.

I see what you are saying now about right clicking in the MP. I thought you meant on our product pages. It's even worse in the MP because it highlights the actual design with no product. You can open the image in a new tab and make it as big as you want and download it. This is not good. How long has it been this way? And yes, with the new platform setup and nomenclature it is basically encouraging theft.

Scott, AfriCreations is correct. You guys are offering up everyone's designs on a platter in the MP. That needs to be fixed ASAP.
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:22:43 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Scott, AfriCreations is correct. You guys are offering up everyone's designs on a platter in the MP. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

Verified. Why is Zazzle making it so easy for people to steal designers' work?

Weighing 2-3 sales a month, versus Zazzle's making my work freely available to anyone and everyone, whether on purpose or by a lack of foresight = NOPE!

I'm done.
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:24:10 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:

Yeah, we are discussing the search box and its wording in the thread I linked.

I see what you are saying now about right clicking in the MP. I thought you meant on our product pages. It's even worse in the MP because it highlights the actual design with no product. You can open the image in a new tab and make it as big as you want and download it. This is not good. How long has it been this way? And yes, with the new platform setup and nomenclature it is basically encouraging theft.

This is unacceptable. and when you right click an image from the Mp then open the Properties and page info... you get the whole rlv.z cache of images from the page... resolution is not great but these small images can be used to create small products like stickers and mugs...and these foreign sites don't care about image quality.

Adding: I don't know why right clicking isn't disabled for all images on Zazzle but it needs to be.
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 12:52:34 PM
By the way my website has been archived online since the 90's in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine so my images go way back and as mentioned stem from my real crochet work offline and online (they are actual photos and I have the real handmade creations). In fact my business is a real life crochet business, so I am always making real original crocheted works. That is in addition to the fact that I am a published designer even before the internet existed.

This is unacceptable and a term I like to use "doesn't make much sense." Was Zazzle hacked? Why would a company like Zazzle constantly change and communicate so poorly?
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 9:25:07 AM
So, Zazzle deleted my post about marketplace images being right clickable in the tech forum without even replying to it...

This issue is important to me and I would think it would be to them as well and that they would at least give me the courtesy of a reply.

Now the question becomes, Are they going to ignore it or fix it?

Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 9:49:29 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
So, Zazzle deleted my post about marketplace images being right clickable in the tech forum without even replying to it...

This issue is important to me and I would think it would be to them as well and that they would at least give me the courtesy of a reply.

Maybe Zazzle deleted your topic because I had already started this topic so it was already seen and even responded to by a Zazzle moderator.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:17:11 AM
AfriCreations wrote:

Maybe Zazzle deleted your topic because I had already started this topic so it was already seen and even responded to by a Zazzle moderator.

possibly, but the response above is not accurate and maybe you are satisfied with it but I am not...

saying our images are not downloadable is not entirely true when right clicking is enabled in the marketplace.

I am sure they would like to brush this off but it needs to be addressed and we deserve to know what they intend to do about it.

eta: and I posted it in the tech forum because I was really hoping it was just a bug and it would get noticed there better than here in this thread where the main topic is different.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:21:01 AM
·▽·

I get the critique here. However all I see is a shift from shopping to making not making with your designs, which I think is a leap nor do I see it as an invitation to right click an image and misuse and violate anybodies IP.

Though I did enjoy the ability to right click MP images in the past for honorable, non copyright violating or taking advantage of anything ... Grin purposes (mostly with my own creations as a shortcut to do whatever).

There are tons of browser apps that help users with cataloging, downloading and scaling any image they see and want on the internet. I don't see the right-click-ability as a problem. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. The images are online and as such available/download-able. It might be however a good idea to limit the image size capabilities to below 800px. I don't see the benefit in a 2000px image for any sales.

·△·

Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:40:30 AM
AfriCreations wrote:

possibly, but the response above is not accurate and maybe you are satisfied with it but I am not...

saying our images are not downloadable is not entirely true when right clicking is enabled in the marketplace.

I am sure they would like to brush this off but it needs to be addressed and we deserve to know what they intend to do about it.

eta: and I posted it in the tech forum because I was really hoping it was just a bug and it would get noticed there better than here in this thread where the main topic is different.

I never said I was satisfied. I stated my points and even added links to my info and history (not trying to sell anyone in the forum anything, its a long time offline real life business). As a professional I don't have time to waste on nonsense or feel the need to be repetitive. Zazzle know what is going on because its their website.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 11:57:04 AM
Well opening a new topic for that was not being repetitive seeing as how this thread topic is about the search box in the first place.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:06:22 PM

Not deleted, just hidden. I did that. There is no conspiracy.

I took this action because it's currently being discussed by our internal team, and in the meantime I don't think it's prudent to keep such material publicly accessible.

Knowing this, hopefully you'll understand.

And now I'm finding out that it's being discussed here, too. But I'll leave this Feedback thread unlocked so that people can continue to vent about the variety of issues that are being discussed here.

If you are unhappy with something that you're seeing on our website and you feel that it's a sensitive issue then I would suggest two things:
1) You go back and edit your post so that you aren't informing others of the issue.
2) You contact us directly, privately, to inform us of something that you are concerned about.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:32:05 PM
Scott wrote:

Not deleted, just hidden. I did that. There is no conspiracy.

I took this action because it's currently being discussed by our internal team, and in the meantime I don't think it's prudent to keep such material publicly accessible.

Knowing this, hopefully you'll understand.

And now I'm finding out that it's being discussed here, too. But I'll leave this Feedback thread unlocked so that people can continue to vent about the variety of issues that are being discussed here.

If you are unhappy with the behavior of our website then I would suggest two things:
1) You go back and edit your post so that you aren't informing others of the issue.
2) You contact us directly, privately, to inform us of something that you are concerned about.

Thank you for the reply, I can understand why you might want to hide the post or even move it, I actually looked for it in other places before I posted this. It just would be nice to get some kind of response even if it was just to tell me what you just said, better than nothing which makes it seem like it is not important to you.

As you can see now that you read this thread, I was not the first one to bring it up. I was just the first one who thought it could possibly be a technical issue, so I posted it in that thread.

I did think of emailing support but from what I have read about the replies others get from them and it being a weekend I thought this forum would be the best place to address it.

I am not unhappy with the website in general but I am unhappy about this particular issue.

Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:33:45 PM
it is good to hear that you are discussing it.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 12:51:23 PM
Shelli - I will continue to do everything that I can to help you guys out, but there are instances where our forum software occasionally forces me to work in mysterious ways and I can't always easily communicate what is happening.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 1:02:40 PM
Scott wrote:
Shelli - I will continue to do everything that I can to help you guys out, but there are instances where our forum software occasionally forces me to work in mysterious ways and I can't always easily communicate what is happening.

Thank you Scott. I do appreciate your help and don't mean to be a PIA.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 3:57:31 PM
I did think of emailing support but from what I have read about the replies others get from them

People actually receive replies when they email support?

^ Not being sarcastic. Support never responds to my emails that aren't order-related. (And no, I haven't been sending them ranty screeds.)
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 4:00:49 PM
vivendulies wrote:
There are tons of browser apps that help users with cataloging, downloading and scaling any image they see and want on the internet. I don't see the right-click-ability as a problem. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. The images are online and as such available/download-able. It might be however a good idea to limit the image size capabilities to below 800px. I don't see the benefit in a 2000px image for any sales.

Just making sure it's clear - we aren't talking about product images - these are the original art images, seemingly scalable to any size.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 4:01:19 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
I did think of emailing support but from what I have read about the replies others get from them

People actually receive replies when they email support?

^ Not being sarcastic. Support never responds to my emails that aren't order-related. (And no, I haven't been sending them ranty screeds.)

I have heard of a few... I have also heard of the lack thereof.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 4:02:28 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
vivendulies wrote:

Just making sure it's clear - we aren't talking about product images - these are the original art images, scalable to any size.

right and thanks for clarifying that,
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 5:46:36 PM
·▽·

ooops. Not good! Shocked

Though I checked it out. The maximum size, which was 2048px plus left and right was cut off, unfortunately the main design was intact and only a few letters of the curved custom text has been cut off. 2048px is barely enough for a small T-shirt, but still big enough for crappy print on demand services.

I can't say I'm happy with this situation.

Sad
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:45:29 AM
I would like Zazzle to clarify their terms of service, concerning the content we provide to the site. I understand I'm giving them pretty broad rights to use my content, but I understood that to be in the course of doing business - advertising and making the products, for example.

never did I think it would mean making my original art available for absolutely anyone to download, without compensation, even inadvertently.

Limiting the size doesn't matter.
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:20:49 AM
Hello,

Zazzle offers the watermarking option for Designers via a configuration in your store settings so that images above a certain size become watermarked. You can find your advanced settings here if you want to change them --> https://www.zazzle.com/store/YOURSTORENAME/settings/advanced

We do not recommend using watermarks as it can have a detrimental affect on your sales, but we offer it for designers who are concerned and prefer to have watermarking. If you look at the information provided with the watermarking opt-in checkbox there are more details on the Zazzle watermark policy and the potential impacts of enabling it.

James C
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:24:53 AM
James C wrote:
Hello,

Zazzle offers the watermarking option for Designers via a configuration in your store settings so that images above a certain size become watermarked. You can find your advanced settings here if you want to change them --> https://www.zazzle.com/store/YOURSTORENAME/settings/advanced

We do not recommend using watermarks as it can have a detrimental affect on your sales, but we offer it for designers who are concerned and prefer to have watermarking. If you look at the information provided with the watermarking opt-in checkbox there are more details on the Zazzle watermark policy and the potential impacts of enabling it.

James C

Watermarking keeps many affiliates from promoting our work for us...

Zazzle has a responsibility to protect our hi res original images and the basic protection of disabling right clicking is not too much to ask. I am aware that there are other ways to steal images and that Z cannot guarantee they will be safe but you should do the basic things that you can.

Adding: it is disappointing that this is offered as an answer to this serious concern.