$3321.00 table runner???
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:35:32 PM
How does this happen??

https://www.zazzle.com/unicorn_background_design_1273_216_short_table_runner-256396773110602432?rf=238713642921474635

If I could just get a referral for 1. I'd be thrilled.
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:53:01 PM
PacifierCity wrote:

Everyone here is free to set their royalties as high as 99%. Your work can be worth whatever you think it is worth. That is the best thing about designing at Zazzle imho.
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 7:56:53 PM
I love that about Z too.

Did you click the link. There is no designer???
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:44:45 PM
https://www.zazzle.com/s/gifts?gp=256396773110602432
26 products with this design.
All of them created Jan 19, 2018 at 2:05pm.
Same three tags and nonsensical description on all of them.
Some of them give the yellow warning that the image has been scaled up larger for the product so might be blurry.
No designer credited on the product pages but if you mouse over them at the above link they are credited as by "krelldesignz" and if you click on the krelldesignz link it goes to a "sorry, no products found" page.

My guess is someone was playing with quick create and has since closed/deleted their account, though that doesn't explain why the products still show up in the marketplace.
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 5:17:19 AM
Hi all, there is a high royalty on this product, obviously what the designer thought it was worth. If there is no designer credited on the product page, the store associated with the design and designer is likely hidden Smile
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:22:21 PM
Well, that is wild. I wonder if they have sold any of them. Shocked
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 12:30:47 AM
OK, I know how percentage works, and that's just incorrect. The price for that product is $34.95 with a 5% markup of $1.75, which means the base price of the item without markup is $33.20. If an item's cost is $33.20, then at 100% markup its price should be $66.40. The max allowed percentage of 99% is $32.87 for a price of $66.07. Quite a bit shy of $33201.00

How is it over 100.03 times the base cost?

Easy math: something has a base price of $100. 10% markup is $10 ($110 total), 20% is $20 ($120), and 100% is $100 ($200 total). Not $10,000 and change.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:58:04 AM
Padie wrote:
Hi all, there is a high royalty on this product, obviously what the designer thought it was worth...

Stargazer wrote:
OK, I know how percentage works, and that's just incorrect. The price for that product is $34.95 with a 5% markup of $1.75, which means the base price of the item without markup is $33.20. If an item's cost is $33.20, then at 100% markup its price should be $66.40. The max allowed percentage of 99% is $32.87 for a price of $66.07. Quite a bit shy of $33201.00

How is it over 100.03 times the base cost?

Easy math: something has a base price of $100. 10% markup is $10 ($110 total), 20% is $20 ($120), and 100% is $100 ($200 total). Not $10,000 and change.

Just tested it out, first with a table runner, then with a necklace. It's a royalty calculator thing: the higher the percentage you set, the more exponential the price/royalty rises. Here the results within the advanced calculator:

Example: Necklace 29.95 base price at min. 5% royalty.

Royalty % Set - End Price - Royalty made* - Real Royalty %*

05% - 29.95 - 1.50 - 5.00%
10% - 31.65 - 3.17 - 10.58%
15% - 33.50 - 4.78 - 15.96%
20% - 35.60 - 6.76 - 22.57%
30% - 40.70 - 11.60 - 38.73%
50% - 56.95 - 27.06 - 90.35%
75% - 113.85 - 81.12 - 270.85%
90% - 285.00 - 243.67 - 813.59%
95% - 570.00 - 514.42 - 1717.60%
98% - 1423.00 - 1324.00 - 4420.70%
99% - 2846.00 - 2676.00 - 8934.90%

* Royalty and Real % with the additional transaction fee deducted where applicable and based on the 29.95 base price with the 5% min. royalties included, so numbers aren't accurate but give an idea on their exponential rising.

If this is working as intended, the % numbers/references shown in the calculator are misleading and may cause confusion. Perhaps the numbers should be adjusted to show the real % (or get rid of the % sign and show the numbers just as value/factor). In that case, Zazzle allows, in reality, a royalty markup of almost 9000%, not only the mentioned 99%.

If this is not working as intended, and the calculator gets fixed, I guess, the royalties already set on published products have to be left untouched or quite a few designers will get a half heart attack and we'll experience the next apocalypse on these forums ;-)

@Padie: any feedback on my assumptions? Just so we know how it really works?

Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 3:46:52 AM
Is it possible a comma was used instead of a decimal point or perhaps the decimal point was forgotten, maybe a typo?
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:36:21 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Is it possible a comma was used instead of a decimal point or perhaps the decimal point was forgotten, maybe a typo?

Nope. I guess it's done on purpose to allow maximal freedom. The rising is exponential. From 98% to 99% the (on 98% already 50 times higher) price gets doubled. Try it out. I just did it for fun on a 179$ duvet cover and ended up with a 17'005$ sales price, for that you almost get an entry level Challenger, lol.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 9:23:39 AM
Hi PetsDreamlands, not sure on this one. I have sent this on so I will let you know what we find, thanks Smile
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 12:57:22 PM
lol That's crazy. I mean if it was a really detailed design, then I would say go for it. But A generic unicorn with the word "magic" that you obviously just found in Google images for that much? Nah.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 2:01:19 PM
Seems like this designer highly values this particular design, their store is... interesting.

https://www.zazzle.com/c/gifts?gp=229660512746460793
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 2:54:24 PM
The name is shown when hovering thumbnails which leads me to ask:

I thought it was wrong to call out designers in the forums??
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 5:20:04 PM
Nicole wrote:
Seems like this designer highly values this particular design, their store is... interesting.

https://www.zazzle.com/c/gifts?gp=229660512746460793

I figured it was the only design.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 5:23:55 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:

I don't think anyone's being critical or accusatory here, just understandably curious about how one achieves a product price that high and how you get a publicly published product with no designer on the product page.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 6:22:33 PM
Col's Creations© wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

I don't think anyone's being critical or accusatory here, just understandably curious about how one achieves a product price that high and how you get a publicly published product with no designer on the product page.

Well, that is still calling out and we have been told never to do that. It could have been questioned without a link to the designed product. As for the other, I believe it is a private store and that is why it doesn't show designer name on the product page.

ETA:

And I know the link was probably posted as you said, not to be accusatory or critical, but still the designer (who obviously wants to remain private), didn't deserve to be called into question for their pricing. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe the rule no longer applies, since Padie posted and said nothing, or maybe with no designer name on the product page he felt it didn't matter, I don't know. Maybe Padie can clarify now if the rule we have always abided by no longer matters.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 6:32:49 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Col's Creations© wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

Well, that is still calling out and we have been told never to do that. It could have been questioned without a link to the designed product. As for the other, I believe it is a private store and that is why it doesn't show designer name on the product page.

Since I started the post and posted the link, I guess I am at fault. Sorry if I offended you. My intention was not to call anyone out, but can see with hindsight how it accidentally happened.

I would have expected the moderators to give me a warning or to remove the link if I ran afoul of forum policy.

I will be more careful when posting questions about anothers products.

Cheers
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 6:36:42 PM
PacifierCity wrote:

Since I started the post and posted the link, I guess I am at fault. Sorry if I offended you. My intention was not to call anyone out, but can see with hindsight how it accidentally happened.

I would have expected the moderators to give me a warning or to remove the link if I ran afoul of forum policy.

Cheers

You didn't offend me. It isn't my product that was linked to.

Padie has been the MOD in the thread. Maybe he isn't aware of the rule. I can't find it specifically written out anymore but any other long time Zazzler will tell you it has been a rule since the forums were opened. Also, like I said, maybe Padie wasn't aware the designer name could be seen in hovering over the product thumbnail and thought the link was ok since the product page showed no name.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 6:42:16 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
PacifierCity wrote:

Cheers

You didn't offend me. It isn't my product that was linked to.

Padie has been the MOD in the thread. Maybe he isn't aware of the rule. I can't find it specifically written out anymore but any other long time Zazzler will tell you it has been a rule since the forums were opened. Also, like I said, maybe Padie wasn't aware the designer name could be seen in hovering over the product thumbnail and thought the link was ok since the product page showed no name.

I think it is pretty clear from what I wrote in my OP and 1st response that I was unaware it was possible...

And I get the unspoken rule, just did not know it was possible to find the designers name. I sure did not see it.

Anyway. Your points been made. I learned something.

Peace be with you.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 6:46:47 PM
PacifierCity wrote:

I think it is pretty clear from what I wrote in my OP and 1st response that I was unaware it was possible...

And I get the unspoken rule, just did not know it was possible to find the designers name. I sure did not see it.

Anyway. Your points been made. I learned something.

Peace be with you.

It wasn't possible to find it in the link you posted as your link went to the product page. I found it via the other posted links when I scrolled over the product thumbnails.

Have a great night! Smile
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 9:14:00 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
It wasn't possible to find it in the link you posted as your link went to the product page.

Must have been possible or else no one would have found the info you reference.

But, let's let it be. The point has been made.

I'm more interested in the response about how the price point got so high and the question about royalty %'s. That is what this post is really about, even though I did not realize it when I posted. I just thought the price was shocking. But stargazer and petsdreamland saw deeper into it than I, and now there might be a bigger issue that's been uncovered.

So hopefully we can stay on topic and see where this price point / royalty revelation goes.

I really don't want this post locked over an off topic issue, no matter how important or how strongly folks feel about it.
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 3:57:47 AM
Hey all. We have already passed this along to our team and are looking into it as we speak. Let's please remember to keep threads on topic. Will be locking this for now but will update you all when we receive more information! Thanks Smile