Wireless Keyboard Official Tips & Tricks Thread 2 pages: [1] 2
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:23:08 AM

Groups: Member, Zazzle Admin, Zazzle Employee

Hi everyone!

Here is the place for you to share all of your tips and tricks for designing our brand new wireless keyboards.

Get all the details about this product in the new product thread.

To show off your new designs on this product, pop over here.

Happy designing!

Best,
Christine
Al Mount
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:48:13 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: Member, ProSeller

Kudos to the new product team, great new product.Laughing

MadeByMDS
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:24:45 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Love these!
NellieQ Designs
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:39:36 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

So excited about this product. All kinds of design and marketing possibilities. My thanks to the Zazzle staff that made this possible.
Exit178
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:41:29 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Curious if it's a skin or some kind of powder coat type material. I don't see it in the description.
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:00:14 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Exit178 wrote:
Curious if it's a skin or some kind of powder coat type material. I don't see it in the description.

I was wondering the same thing, and in particular because the keys take on the image along with the rest of it. It appears as if maybe the text such as the key lettering is printed after the fact.
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:34:26 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

You know what would be superb? If we had an overlay on the design surface showing the position of the keys. It would allow us to much more easily position our design so it doesn't fight with the lettering on the keys. Just now I had to go back and forth between the design surface and the preview until I got the design into an inoffensive position.

Exit178
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:40:57 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:
You know what would be superb? If we had an overlay on the design surface showing the position of the keys. It would allow us to much more easily position our design so it doesn't fight with the lettering on the keys. Just now I had to go back and forth between the design surface and the preview until I got the design into an inoffensive position.

I've tried a few designs, even moving them around, but decided not to use them because the keys get totally lost in the design. We'll have to be particular with what we put on them.
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:47:04 PM

Groups: Member, Zazzle Admin, Zazzle Employee

Exit178 wrote:

These are printed using Direct UV on a white base. We'll be sure to add this info to the page. Thanks!
Fuzzy
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:24:21 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:

+1. That would help immensely.
Fuzzy
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:25:34 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Exit178 wrote:
I've tried a few designs, even moving them around, but decided not to use them because the keys get totally lost in the design. We'll have to be particular with what we put on them.

I concur. I'm leaning more toward personalized items, and dark colors myself.
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:44:35 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Fuzzy wrote:
Exit178 wrote:

Yes, dark backgrounds in general look better...except for when they don't, which I've noticed with patterns that, as already noted, overwhelm the keys.

Oh well, if you use a keyboard a lot, eventually all the letters and numbers rub off. I hope in this case they won't take the design along with them.
TinkerM
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:17:29 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Exit178 wrote:
colorwash wrote:

I think you are right with a lot of designs but think there are some possibilities maybe should not give away..Laughing Oh what the heck

Try some transparent art, maybe even decorating the edges. Betcha some will work out. Here is my first to show ya some work and most colors look goof black stands out nicely

Already some great ones on the show me pages
Exit178
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:28:42 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Christine wrote:
Exit178 wrote:

These are printed using Direct UV on a white base. We'll be sure to add this info to the page. Thanks!

Super!

I just went off to read about what that is before responding.
Sounds quite resistant to wear and tear.

Thanks.
Exit178
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:34:46 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Exit178 wrote:

Yes, dark backgrounds in general look better...except for when they don't, which I've noticed with patterns that, as already noted, overwhelm the keys.

Oh well, if you use a keyboard a lot, eventually all the letters and numbers rub off. I hope in this case they won't take the design along with them.

Christine responded to my post about how it's done. I read a bit about the process and it sounds quite durable.
LM Gildersleeve
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:14:26 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Regarding what designs would look good on this product there are those designers who will put any and all designs on them regardless.
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:16:43 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

The last time I saw a keyboard where the letters and numbers didn't wear off was over 20 years ago, or maybe it's even more than that. At the time, they were etched into the keys. never had an 'S' wear off back then. I've taken to using a Brother labeling machine for my keys, half of which are either labeled or in bad need of it.
TinkerM
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:20:09 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:
The last time I saw a keyboard where the letters and numbers didn't wear off was over 20 years ago, or maybe it's even more than that. At the time, they were etched into the keys. never had an 'S' wear off back then. I've taken to using a Brother labeling machine for my keys,a half of which are either labeled or in bad need of it.

They are so cheap nowadays or can find them at yard sales, so will be interesting to see how they sell, but yes things were made to last, mine are hand painted in with white out. Hahaha
Al Mount
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:47:15 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: Member, ProSeller

Will the other new thing about allover print 1 image work on the keyboards
marcia s.
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:04:50 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

a search for "wireless keyboards" does not show the new product... when will it show up?

- marcia s.
SocolikCardShop
Susannah Keegan
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:05:09 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

marcia s. wrote:
a search for "wireless keyboards" does not show the new product... when will it show up?

- marcia s.
SocolikCardShop

I searched on wirless keyboards and they are there. 3,132 as of today.

I don't yet see them in the drill down.
Laura Haro Pulido
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:24:44 PM

Groups: Member

I've been putting all my psychedelic and funky designs on this one. They all look great so far. What a great addition to Zazzle!!
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:46:26 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

But we still need an overlay, one that's accurate. I don't know about others, but it's driving me nuts having to preview the keyboard and sometimes having to go further, clicking Done so I can get the zoomed-in view.
Jerry Lambert
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:16:53 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

a did a bunch before I realized that solid colors on the keys seemed to work better with patterns, examples

colorwash
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:24:39 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Jerry, I discovered the same thing via looking at possible designs and then imagining myself working with the keyboard. Almost to the last one, my decision was that, no, I'd hate trying to find certain keys. I'm a fast touch typist, but I have to look at numbers and the lesser-used symbols. I can't imagine a non-touch typist trying to use a keyboard that has a busy pattern running across the keys.
marcia s.
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:30:11 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Quote:
I searched on wirless keyboards and they are there. 3,132 as of today.

hm - i still do not see them... wonder why? well, as long as customers can, i won't worry.

- marcia s.
SocolikCardShop
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 10:46:40 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Jerry Lambert wrote:
a did a bunch before I realized that solid colors on the keys seemed to work better with patterns, examples

Hey Jerry, how did you come up with the right dimensions to get your key colors? did you make a special template? If it is not a trade secret, I would love to know...
colorwash
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 12:04:34 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I don't know how Jerry did it, but if you're willing to put in the hours with Photoshop or similar, what you have to do is create the key sections separately. It's possible to do it with a rectangular shape you might have in your Images, employing the crop tool to get the correct ratio for each key section. The only one that's difficult is the set of 4 arrow keys. Fuss and fume back and forth between the design screen and the preview or even the Done screen where you can zoom in. Eventually, you'll have it just right. Oh, and in order to see what you're doing, use a background color that contrasts strongly with the color used to create the key sections. Next, with the design interface showing, zoom in with your browser and take a screenshot, which you can then pull into your image editor, knocking out either the key sections or the color surrounding them. It's a template, but you have to use it in your image software since we don't have masking in the design tool.

There's quite a bit of labor if you're a Picky Polly like I am, but if you do it just right, you can really go to town making cool, very usable keyboards.

I made this one this morning using one of my templates to grab an image I had of knitted fabric. The template made quick work of it:

colorwash
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:04:03 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

P.S: Do NOT use any of the previews for creating your own templates. They aren't accurate because they're photos taken not quite perpendicular to the keyboard. How do I know this? Because I tried it.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:32:28 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

colorwash wrote:
I don't know how Jerry did it, but if you're willing to put in the hours with Photoshop or similar, what you have to do is create the key sections separately. It's possible to do it with a rectangular shape you might have in your Images, employing the crop tool to get the correct ratio for each key section. The only one that's difficult is the set of 4 arrow keys. Fuss and fume back and forth between the design screen and the preview or even the Done screen where you can zoom in. Eventually, you'll have it just right. Oh, and in order to see what you're doing, use a background color that contrasts strongly with the color used to create the key sections. Next, with the design interface showing, zoom in with your browser and take a screenshot, which you can then pull into your image editor, knocking out either the key sections or the color surrounding them. It's a template, but you have to use it in your image software since we don't have masking in the design tool.

There's quite a bit of labor if you're a Picky Polly like I am, but if you do it just right, you can really go to town making cool, very usable keyboards.

I made this one this morning using one of my templates to grab an image I had of knitted fabric. The template made quick work of it:

thanks for the crash course! I will have to experiment when I have more than a few minutes at a time to work... I will have to come up with the Gimp version...