Text Box changes - good changes and thanks for the useful "locked" box width
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 5:13:06 AM
Came across some posts regarding the text box changes you did, and read the news: https://forum.zazzle.com/news/changes_to_text_box_handles?m=1650768#1650768.

Tested it and found out that if you set the text box to a specific width, when you enter your text and it is longer than the available box width, the box width remains unchanged and the text wraps. Until now the box became automatically larger until reaching the designer's borders and only then, the text started to wrap.

If I'm not doing anything wrong, and this is correct and intended, thanks for that precious change! It's absolutely useful being able to lock the box width to a specific size to prevent text flowing over unwanted design areas. Like the box changes overall, work like a charm and give you way more control.

So happy, it took me longer than expected with playing around, the vertical text alignment and text box changes are amazingly precious when working with templates.

Really, really a great improvement! Thanks again Roses
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 6:59:32 AM
For designers who may need some extra explanation about that text box change and its benefits, here's a designer screenshot for some visual help (added the anchor/vertical alignment, too):

Text box "locking" and "anchors" will be extremely helpful when used in templates. No more overflowing text into unwanted areas left and right and you can control, how multiline template text flows, vertically.

Happy texting ;-)
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:13:13 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Came across some posts regarding the text box changes you did, and read the news: https://forum.zazzle.com/news/changes_to_text_box_handles?m=1650768#1650768.

Tested it and found out that if you set the text box to a specific width, when you enter your text and it is longer than the available box width, the box width remains unchanged and the text wraps. Until now the box became automatically larger until reaching the designer's borders and only then, the text started to wrap.

If I'm not doing anything wrong, and this is correct and intended, thanks for that precious change! It's absolutely useful being able to lock the box width to a specific size to prevent text flowing over unwanted design areas. Like the box changes overall, work like a charm and give you way more control.

So happy, it took me longer than expected with playing around, the vertical text alignment and text box changes are amazingly precious when working with templates.

Really, really a great improvement! Thanks again Roses

I noticed this about the text wrapping, as well, and realized rather quickly that I had to make the text boxes longer to accomodate longer names, addresses and such. But, yeah, a really great improvement!
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 7:29:45 PM
I just designed a label and noticed the change. Love it! Great idea, I'm sure customers will appreciate it!
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 11:14:54 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
I noticed this about the text wrapping, as well, and realized rather quickly that I had to make the text boxes longer to accomodate longer names, addresses and such. But, yeah, a really great improvement!

Yes. Didn't mention that, cuz I thought, this was obvious. The textbox comes over the whole horizontal width as default, when you add new text, so you don't have to do anything if you wannot restraint it to a specific width..

It seems also that the textbox is only "locked" to a specific width, after you as designer did some size changes. If you don't touch it (don't change the horizontal size), the box is "flexible", as usual.

Backward compatibility with old designs is given

I did a test to check out, how old designs got handled. The textbox on one of my old cards I've checked, is the length of the text, but when editing the text in the personalize form, it works well and the box gets larger, accommodating the text up to the item sides. As it used to be. Then I've changed the horizontal size of that textbox, and after that, the text gets wrapped within the newly set horizontal box boundaries, when you edit it within the form.

The "Anchor"/vertical text alignment on old multiline text fields is correctly set to center and compatible with the old text flowing behavior.

So both changes work like a charm also on old designs (assuming the tested behavior works across all old items).

With these 2 new great tools you may want to upgrade some of your old designs, where these tools come handy to prevent bad results and/or to make editing easier.
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 12:43:33 AM
Unfortunately I did some new designs not realising you need the box to fit the width to accomodate for longer names, addresses, etc. I feel like all designs old and new should still have a flexible box so that the text doesn't drop onto a second line when its not designed to.

By having the box go across the length of the product makes it hard to pick and move elements around when designing.

Although I do love the resizing element of the tool.
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 7:10:43 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
I did a test to check out, how old designs got handled. The textbox on one of my old cards I've checked, is the length of the text, but when editing the text in the personalize form, it works well and the box gets larger, accommodating the text up to the item sides. As it used to be. Then I've changed the horizontal size of that textbox, and after that, the text gets wrapped within the newly set horizontal box boundaries, when you edit it within the form.

The "Anchor"/vertical text alignment on old multiline text fields is correctly set to center and compatible with the old text flowing behavior.

So both changes work like a charm also on old designs (assuming the tested behavior works across all old items).

With these 2 new great tools you may want to upgrade some of your old designs, where these tools come handy to prevent bad results and/or to make editing easier.

That's good to know that it works well on the old designsSmile . I hadn't even thought to check that.Shocked
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:31:08 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
For designers who may need some extra explanation about that text box change and its benefits, here's a designer screenshot for some visual help (added the anchor/vertical alignment, too):

Text box "locking" and "anchors" will be extremely helpful when used in templates. No more overflowing text into unwanted areas left and right and you can control, how multiline template text flows, vertically.

Happy texting ;-)

PetsDreamland: I still have never seen this anchor that you've spoken of. Is that somewhere in the design tool now? TIA
Laura
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:47:38 AM
Laura, I'm not seeing the anchor thing, nor am I seeing the text box locking being referred to.
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:31:02 AM
Laura Sweat wrote:
PetsDreamlands wrote:

Happy texting ;-)

PetsDreamland: I still have never seen this anchor that you've spoken of. Is that somewhere in the design tool now? TIA
Laura

Yes Laura and CW, it is on the right when you have text highlighted right under the flip image tool.
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:34:18 AM
Thanks, Shelli. I found the anchor thing. For some reason, I thought it was a repeat of the Align tool, not for the text within the box. I'll have to fool around with it to see what I might use it for.

What about that business of locking the text box? Is it just another way of describing the Align tool?
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:29:30 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Thanks, Shelli. I found the anchor thing. For some reason, I thought it was a repeat of the Align tool, not for the text within the box. I'll have to fool around with it to see what I might use it for.

What about that business of locking the text box? Is it just another way of describing the Align tool?

The "Anchor" is a vertical text alignment tool. The word is a bit misleading, "Vertical Alignment" would've been more appropriate (commonly used). You only notice a difference on wrapped / multiline text.

With "locking" I meant that you can set the text box width to a specific, fixed length by manually resizing it by dragging the middle left and right box delimiter dots. Doing so, the text will only flow until the (fixed) left and right box margins and then wrap. Before the changes, the text box was flexible and got larger the more text you wrote, until reaching the design print borders, then the text would wrap. If you don't resize the box's width manually, the box will keep its flexible behavior, as it used to be. Nothing to do with the text alignment itself, but works best in combination with both, horizontal ("Justification") and vertical ("Anchor") alignment. The changes give you a very good control over your template text areas. Now you can define the vertical text flow (anchor) and prevent text flowing over unwanted design areas left and right (fixed/locked box width).
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:45:24 AM
So, the moment you adjust the width of the text box, you are, in effect, locking it to that width? Now that's a truly helpful change. If the box automatically lengthens to suit the amount of text a customer enters, it'll be a boon for certain things I do.
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:06:43 AM
Colorwash wrote:
So, the moment you adjust the width of the text box, you are, in effect, locking it to that width? Now that's a truly helpful change. If the box automatically lengthens to suit the amount of text a customer enters, it'll be a boon for certain things I do.

Yes and yes and yes. And the vertical alignment (what they call "Anchor") defines, how multilined/wrapped text vertically flows. These 2 upgrades combined give you a ton of extra control over your text templates.
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 6:03:19 PM
This will be wonderful for templates with a lot of text, like wedding programs. I found it so frustrating trying to design wedding programs- you change one thing, and the stupid box would get real wide and cover the design!
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:27:09 AM
I’m now using it for business cards because some businesses have two- or three-word names but others are practically a whole sentence. Regardless of length, the font can’t be too small.
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:26:51 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I’m now using it for business cards because some businesses have two- or three-word names but others are practically a whole sentence. Regardless of length, the font can’t be too small.

The new features are extremely useful especially for business cards, where keeping an edge of at least 0.2" on the left and right paper side is vital. Limiting the box width appropriately, you can get a line wrap on longer content instead of an overflowing mess. In the case of company/personal names, I would opt for a centered vertical alignment, so if the content gets split into 2 lines it flows in both directions up and down. Just add a tad more upper and lower space to nicely hold a two-liner when necessary.

Concerning the font size, standard regular sans-serif sizes for professional business cards are 12 to 14/perhaps 16pt for names and min 8 to preferably 9 pt for address and further information. For regular serif fonts add 1 point.

I've seen many designers working purely per view on Zazzle. This often results in unreadable text on small items and huge text on larger ones. No wonder, that customers complain about a non-readable text, if you write a 4-lined poem at font size 4 on a 1.2" necklace. And an address line with a font size of 14, 16 or even more looks absolutely ugly on business letterheads. always design having real sizes in mind, not based on what you see on your screen. In general, fonts smaller than 7.5/8 points aren't easily readable on paper, and below 6 you start needing a magnifying glass - if the printer and surface are able to depict such a small font.
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:38:35 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

The new features are extremely useful especially for business cards, where keeping an edge of at least 0.2" on the left and right paper side is vital. Limiting the box width appropriately, you can get a line wrap on longer content instead of an overflowing mess. In the case of company/personal names, I would opt for a centered vertical alignment, so if the content gets split into 2 lines it flows in both directions up and down. Just add a tad more upper and lower space to nicely hold a two-liner when necessary.

Concerning the font size, standard regular sans-serif sizes for professional business cards are 12 to 14/perhaps 16pt for names and min 8 to preferably 9 pt for address and further information. For regular serif fonts add 1 point.

You're doing what's called "preaching to the choir." Roses
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:48:10 AM
·▽·

There are many ways to layout a business card, not all call for a centered vertical alignment.
My most common setting is name expanding up and employee extension and email and/or field of expertise expanding down.
The name is usually larger then field of expertise and direct contact.

It also is much faster when it comes to contact information on the bottom edge.

Smile
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:21:05 AM
Colorwash wrote:

You're doing what's called "preaching to the choir." Roses

Yup, didn't expect the contrary ;-) I was in fact addressing more the audience than the choir Grin

@vivendulies, of course, there are many ways, each of them needing different approaches and settings.

Doggie time now, the 4 pups some Einstein dumped at my rescues' place are extremely time-consuming (but a pure cuteness overload Love ). I really hope, I don't miss also these incoming Holidays on Z with that extra job. Bummer.

Cheers!
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:03:40 AM
I am not getting that "Vertical Text Alignment/Anchor" Box either.

This is very frustrating.

Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:47:57 AM
The anchor is on the right hand side when in the Text tool
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:48:51 AM
ArtCreationsbyRLamb wrote:
I am not getting that "Vertical Text Alignment/Anchor" Box either.

This is very frustrating.

In a separate tab, I did a quick-and-dirty text test and found that the anchor thing isn't doing anything at all, not that I can see anyway.

EDIT: I finally saw it. It can be very subtle, but it aligns the text to the top, middle, or bottom of the box and is separate from the way we align text to the left, center, or right.