Socks Official Tips & Tricks Thread 4 pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 3:20:10 PM
My remaining concern is the one about a darker line where plain background colours overlap. The designs shown didn't have a plain background colour, but it did look a bit like the blue pattern and the photos had such a line. The yellow design didn't show an obvious overlap line. It's going to be tricky to know which middling colours will look okay and which will have too dark a line. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't addressed anyway, as I was using autocaptions, and the sassy chat about fox sometimes doesn't entirely make sense.)

I can see some room for half and half socks though. Might try that with my fractals, as it'll turn the seam into a feature rather than a bug.
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 4:12:47 PM
I forgot that concern that I also had of the overlapping background color.

Half-and-half. Unfortunately, none of the views show it:

Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 4:36:03 PM
Polenth wrote:
My remaining concern is the one about a darker line where plain background colours overlap. The designs shown didn't have a plain background colour, but it did look a bit like the blue pattern and the photos had such a line. The yellow design didn't show an obvious overlap line. It's going to be tricky to know which middling colours will look okay and which will have too dark a line. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't addressed anyway, as I was using autocaptions, and the sassy chat about fox sometimes doesn't entirely make sense.)

I can see some room for half and half socks though. Might try that with my fractals, as it'll turn the seam into a feature rather than a bug.

That is an idea that I can work with.
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 5:40:13 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I forgot that concern that I also had of the overlapping background color.

Half-and-half. Unfortunately, none of the views show it:

My thought with the patterns is it might blend the line a bit more than solid colours, but I'll probably end up making some with solid half and half backgrounds too. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for an in situ view.
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 6:40:45 PM
Polenth wrote:

Okay, start with this idea for the socks, add a pair of coordinated shoes, next an all over top, then leggings, and finally, a hooded. Then promote it as a collection on Pinterest, Polyvore, and elsewhere. This is going to have to wait until January for us.
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 5:23:05 PM
It would be nice to have a front view of the socks, so that we can see if our side images are lining up properly when tiled. Otherwise those socks are going to look like a kaleidoscope of failure.
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 3:59:17 AM
templeofswag wrote:
It would be nice to have a front view of the socks, so that we can see if our side images are lining up properly when tiled. Otherwise those socks are going to look like a kaleidoscope of failure.

Because when flipping the sock to print the other side, the positioning can't be 100% accurate, I suspect any mock-up we see might appear accurate but may not necessarily lead to the same accuracy in the final print.

Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 9:00:17 AM
Colorwash wrote:
templeofswag wrote:

Because when flipping the sock to print the other side, the positioning can't be 100% accurate, I suspect any mock-up we see might appear accurate but may not necessarily lead to the same accuracy in the final print.

Probably true but it would help us get as close as we can so then the printers can get as close as they can and maybe cut down on potential returns...
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 9:38:37 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
templeofswag wrote:

Probably true but it would help us get as close as we can so then the printers can get as close as they can and maybe cut down on potential returns...

Oh, for sure. And I'll be surprised if there aren't quite a number of returns. It makes me truly leery of doing patterns.
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 7:41:04 AM
Polenth wrote:

So I used Polenth's suggestion and I made a customizable pair as Zazzle keeps suggesting. Just changing the initial in the one box changes all four sides.

Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:36:33 PM
I sold a pair of socks! Hope they look ok and don't get returned.
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:44:58 PM
Art Vixen wrote:

yay for you! let us know how that goes! Roses
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 6:20:09 PM
Art Vixen wrote:

Hey friend you are good luck! I sold a pair today too!

so I will let everyone know how this goes!

I am extra excited about this sale because it is the first sale for my new store too! yay!
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 8:55:02 PM
We are on a roll! I also sold a pair this evening. It's a pattern, so we will see...

Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 4:45:35 AM
Art Vixen wrote:

Hey friend you are good luck! I sold a pair today too!

so I will let everyone know how this goes!

I am extra excited about this sale because it is the first sale for my new store too! yay!

I am concerned about this sale because I designed this pair as a size small with the design centered on the upper part of the sock and I noticed that when the buyer changed the size to large the design is now slightly off center more toward the back...I have since made a new pair in the large size with the design centered as it should be and set both pairs to this size only. I hope that this will not cause the buyer to return them, or I hope that the printers will center the design on the large size the way it shows it on the small size in the design tool. We will see...
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:15:37 AM
That begs the question: Are the cuffs on the large size wider than on the small size? If so, shouldn't the view automatically adjust for this? It adjusts with clocks, so why not socks?
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:50:47 AM
Colorwash wrote:
That begs the question: Are the cuffs on the large size wider than on the small size? If so, shouldn't the view automatically adjust for this? It adjusts with clocks, so why not socks?

Agree! and hopeful that the answer is yes but now that I am remembering I think Monica said something about this in the Zazzle chat...
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 6:14:48 AM
I don't remember Monica mentioning it, but there are lots of things I don't remember. (Fortunately, I don't remember not remembering, so it all works out just fine.)
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:25:53 AM
Colorwash wrote:

Agree! and hopeful that the answer is yes but now that I am remembering I think Monica said something about this in the Zazzle chat...

I also remember Monica mentioning that. These socks seem to sell really well, but they make me nervous.
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:30:05 AM
I just now tested the two-sided color socks (small) I showed above and that have a centered design on the cuff. When I switched to the large size, the design remained centered. Now the question is why this works with some designs and not others.

EDIT: Realizing it might have to do with which view is being used, I tried all the views and noticed it's slightly shifted in the single-sock view but not the double. The conclusion is that it's a view problem, not an actual one.
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:53:40 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I just now tested the two-sided color socks (small) I showed above and that have a centered design on the cuff. When I switched to the large size, the design remained centered. Now the question is why this works with some designs and not others.

EDIT: Realizing it might have to do with which view is being used, I tried all the views and noticed it's slightly shifted in the single-sock view but not the double. The conclusion is that it's a view problem, not an actual one.

I sure hope you are right because it is a huge pain in the bum to make two sizes of each sock design.
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 11:41:26 AM
Whooohooo...congrats Shelli Fitzpatrick and PandaCatGallery! Love We are on a roll! I noticed that we all sold animal print socks. Mine had cats on it and I sold another pair last night with the same design. Hoping for the best with how they will line up and print. I wonder, too, about the buyer switching the design to the larger size. Looks like we have a great new product! Good luck everyone and let's keep adding designs.

Thank you very much to the referrer(s) that sold my two pairs of socks! Roses
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:04:52 AM
I've concerns about not seeing the top like others.
Tried a mirror pattern today but white lines were showing. Anyone else experienced this or is it a glitch?
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:10:40 PM
Annabel wrote:
I've concerns about not seeing the top like others.
Tried a mirror pattern today but white lines were showing. Anyone else experienced this or is it a glitch?

I checked out your socks carefully, and I see a hint of the white line, but only when they're displayed as a pair. The singles don't seem to have it. If this is true, then it's a view problem and unlikely one in the actual printing.
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:17:58 PM
Makes me feel a little better that it's "just" a view problem. I hope Zazzle will have a look anyway. I know some buyers will see a flaw and think it will turn out that way on the actual product.

I made one pair of socks last night after reading through this thread. So far, it looks okay. I may try more when I have more time.

Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:42:50 PM
Although I am happy to use abstracts / non-uniform designs which negate the various problems discussed so far, I do still have 1 concern. I would also like to use stripes, columns, squares, and even circles, but I notice the preview image shows a distortion despite aforesaid images being straight and even. Is this just a designer's attempt to show a pair of socks when slightly crumpled or rippled etc, prior to putting on which then disappear once on the feet? Or will these distortions print and show on the final item?

Cheers

JH
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 6:22:07 AM
Well a second pair of these has sold! Yay, I think...

I am still waiting to see what happens with the first pair... so far the only thing that is pink is the socks, knock wood.