SEARCH BUG
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:40:49 AM

I try to find a product in some store, I click the Products tab.

I look for a certain product with ART in tags or description, but there is no way to find it, because it keeps switching to "Category: Art & Wall Décor".

And what I need is a tshirt which has some [art] on it.

Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:11:27 AM
This seems to be expected behavior as far as I can tell. Would it be best to refine the category to clothing and search for the shirt that way? Smile
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:38:16 AM
Art can’t be used as a tag because it’s considered a product type. Look in the basic pro forum. A shopkeeper is keeping a list of tags we cannot use. It’s pinned to the top.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:43:01 AM
Maz wrote:
Art can’t be used as a tag because it’s considered a product type. Look in the basic pro forum. A shopkeeper is keeping a list of tags we cannot use. It’s pinned to the top.

Some of that thread is outdated because it was begun at a time when Zazzle deleted tags we couldn't use. However, certain tags are all but useless, and "art" is one of them.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:20:34 AM
This frustrates me as someone who uses art as designs on products. I am often looking for other products with art on them to promote and it is hard to find actual art on products.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:33:45 AM
Sorry, that tshirt was a bad example, because I was doing that research a few days ago.

I needed to find an interesting product with a specific design in some store to feature on my FB Fan Page.
I prefer to do it that way instead of creating some SHOW ME threads and waiting.

I saw that artwork on some product, but it did not fit to my concept, so wanted to search all products with that design to choose the best one to promote.

That was the case when I had to stop lookig for it, because adding a tshirt, poster, postcard etc was a little pointless and time consuming.

Especially when I enter "art painting" it still goes to the "Art & Wall"

As I can understand one may have to set up this that way, customers certainly don't care about those rules and if there is more of those, they may not find what they need.

But if you want it that way.. ok. I just moved on to another store.

Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:55:36 AM
if you use a search term that is also a department or product name, the page gets populated with that department or product but other departments are available in the dropdown.

But there's a catch. The dropdown only has some of the other departments. The search term "art" has only Home, Weddings and Invitations+Stationary in the dropdown.

To get around that limitation you have to type in at least a broad product type. Searching for "art t shirts" brings up over a million using that tag.

I suppose the expectation is that customers will use at least a general product type.

Of course sometimes customers are looking for a thematic design and haven't decided what product they'd want it on. What I've seen (but not meticulously researched) is that when a design theme is not also a department or product, most and sometimes all the departments are in the dropdown and the landing page is a mishmash from various departments.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:23:02 AM
It's a lesson learned when tagging. When it comes to something as broad as art, we're best off adding description to the art. For instance, I've a love for Art Nouveau, and using that as a tag seems to work well. There are all kinds of art: cartoon art, abstract art, modern art, classic art, illustration, and so on. Being a little more specific helps bring up those products in the marketplace.
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:15:18 PM
Colorwash wrote:
It's a lesson learned when tagging. When it comes to something as broad as art, we're best off adding description to the art. For instance, I've a love for Art Nouveau, and using that as a tag seems to work well. There are all kinds of art: cartoon art, abstract art, modern art, classic art, illustration, and so on. Being a little more specific helps bring up those products in the marketplace.

You still pretty much have to pair that with a product type, if you want to see things outside of the "wall art" department (which apparently includes clocks.)

The more specific the tags + product type are, the narrower the results will be. And if you get no or too few results? Well, that's a mystery for another thread.

Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:31:17 PM
BUT WHEN I WANT TO FIND SOMETHING WITH A PHRASE

"I love art"

and I am in the PRODUCT TAB in A STORE !!!!
I CANT !!
BECAUSE IT SWITCHES TO WALL ART DECOR!!!

THAT'S A BUG people....

I WANT ***SOMETHING*** with that phrase, who's gonna play guessing games "hey.. so maybe you have a tshirt? no... hmmm so maybe a mug? no.... maybe a .. what TF else they've got in the catalog?"

I AM POINTING OUT A BUG, I know how to deal with that.
But Zazzle is FULL of those bugs!

JUST FIX THAT ZAZZLE!

Please

ZAZZLE If you need a specific store I was on, here it is (ranting): https://www.zazzle.com/store/ironydesign/products

And why Google doesn't switch me to WALL ART DECOR when I look for ART PAINTING? ? ?Shocked Crying
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:52:57 PM
Plrang Art wrote:
THAT'S A BUG people....

IT guy here. It's not a bug, because the code behind the search algorithm is executing as written without failure - it's doing what it was programmed to do, and what Zazzle expects it to do.

So there's nothing for them to fix.

ETA: In programming speak, 'failure' in this context generally means the code errors out before producing a result. It could also mean that it fails to produce any result at all, or results that the programmer isn't expecting, because of a coding error.

Before you respond to that assessment, please read the rest of what I have to say:

What you're requesting is that they modify their search algorithm to sensibly accommodate your attempted searches - and I agree with you about that.

This conflict between returning design results vs. product results, where the product generally wins, can be resolved by testing whether the search terms contains a product name. If they do, prompt the customer with the question of whether they're searching for a product of that name, or for designs related to a topic of that name. They choose and click an OK button, and then you branch the algorithm to limit results to one or the other, matching their expressed choice. Something really sophisticated could include in the prompt an image of an actual product matching their term, and one of an actual design matching the term, to aid them in understanding the prompt.

I'm not saying it's easy to do. I'm saying it's highly desirable, and they should find a way to do it, if they aren't already working on it. I believe it would be of great help to customers, and maybe even improve sales.

Eventually artificial intelligence (if adopted) will be able to tell the difference, and serve up the expected results without needing to prompt the customer. I don't know that we're quite there yet in terms of reliability. It's also probably not going to be cheap. But it is the way of the future.

(ETA: It would also help if they implemented an 'exact match only' option, and not something that requires the customer to know some arcane fact, like the need to enclose their search terms within quotation marks.)
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 12:25:53 AM
Brutal honesty enabled.
IT guy here too (coder since over 20y, starting from ASM). But it doesn't really matter, BECAUSE from a point of view of the customer it's a total BUG.
Is it code or functional:

a it's A BUG
b it's an useless feature
c it's a bad design
d it's a FEEDBACK as usual
e if you like ongoing 15% to 50% promo all the time and no views, you may have soon 70% because of all those unfixed BUGS

Let's add here some:
- completely broken simple thing as collections
- non-existing SEO
- weak search ridiculously limited to 16 pages lol
- without the shuffling algorithm. Showing useless results of dozens of products
- with the same badly aligned design from a single user Quick Create fun
- inconsistent and not entirely correct information on creating products versus the transfer design option, where on one hand you should make less because there is that transfer option, on the other hand it's useless, because the search engine STILL is not able to find a HOODIE with I LOVE ART on it if you DON'T CREATE ONE.
And it's hiding 150 products under some tiny microscopic text link.

You don't need any artificial intelligence for such simple tasks

I could add 50 more here.

The only thing getting better is the designer. And that's just terrible, because people PUT THEIR TIME to design great products and their work disappears in a BLACK HOLE.

Because a customer searching for "I LOVE ART", to find some gift, will be redirected to some WALL ART category.

SO I don't understand why you're explaining the obvious error they should just fix, regardless of etymology.

Instead of force Zazzle to FIX ALL THOSE BUGS.

Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 1:07:43 AM
Customers would generally know what they are looking for. So the likelihood of them just typing "art painting" is low. If you type "art painting t shirt" however, it shows you t shirts.

We appreciate your opinion on this and will certainly pass it onto the search team, however. Please remain respectful while doing so. Smile
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 1:20:32 AM
I am full of respect, except for the errors listed above. I'm glad you'll pass it on, thanks.
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 2:17:29 AM
James wrote:
Customers would generally know what they are looking for. So the likelihood of them just typing "art painting" is low. If you type "art painting t shirt" however, it shows you t shirts.

We appreciate your opinion on this and will certainly pass it onto the search team, however. Please remain respectful while doing so. Smile

For those customers unsure what type of product they want as for designers and affiliates, why not introduce a filter that eliminates the category and leaves only results with the respected keyword as the subject on the product.

It would be an extra step but if you implement it like redbubble did it with an indicator in the URL people who pay attention soon learn to type the indicator into the url directly to jump right into the desired search.
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 6:42:46 AM
not an IT gal here but I do have eyes and can see that something needs to happen with the search function to improve the results...

the problem with finding art on the site leads me to believe it has much to do with why even though I have scads of wall art published I rarely have any views or sales...

I do wish that would get fixed.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:07:48 AM
Search using "i love art" in quotation marks.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:47:39 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

You still pretty much have to pair that with a product type, if you want to see things outside of the "wall art" department (which apparently includes clocks.)

The more specific the tags + product type are, the narrower the results will be. And if you get no or too few results? Well, that's a mystery for another thread.

Looking for my calendar, “Animals in Clothes,” I discovered that choosing the product first or including the product type in my search made no difference. No matter what I tried, it defaulted back to the clothing category. Nothing but tees that happened to feature animals. This shouldn’t happen. If I say I want to see calendars, I’m saying it because it’s what I want to see.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 7:01:16 AM
lazyrivergreetings wrote:
Search using "i love art" in quotation marks.

That only works for people who know to do it. I wonder how many average Joe shoppers know?
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 7:12:59 AM
Given that quotation marks have either been eliminated or not bothered with much by search engines these days, it's likely that most shoppers don't know to use them.

Quotation marks didn't work for my calendar. It still went zooming over to the t-shirts. EDIT: I just tried it again, and it worked somewhat, but I'll have to change title and/or keywords because I can't hold a customer's hand.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:55:02 AM
Plrang Art wrote:
Brutal honesty enabled.
IT guy here too (coder since over 20y, starting from ASM).

Then it seems to me you already knew why Zazzle's programmers don't consider it to be a bug. Most people here wouldn't, because they aren't coders. Apologies for my assumptions.

These issues with search, etc. resurface from time to time. We try to offer solutions, and Zazzle's response generally amounts to telling us they value designers, but they know how to run their business.

Regardless, I hold no illusions about my own importance. I could disappear from the site at any time, and my absence wouldn't register with them. So I have to remind myself to just lower my expectations.