Seamless Pattern tiling size question
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:02:50 PM
When adding seamless pattern tiles to items, especially large items like shower curtains, is there a way to tell Zazzle to add it at the original size? For example:
I usually make my tiles 12" x 12" (3600x3600 px). Suppose I make a Lighthouse pattern, and at 100% on Photoshop, the largest lighthouse is 6 inches. That's the size I want it to be on the shower curtain. When I put the tile on the shower curtain on Zazzle, it shows up a lot bigger than 12" square. Even when I set the image to tile, it tiles at the larger size. There should be about 6 squares across on a shower curtain, but the way Zazzle does it, there's only about 2 or 3. I can resize the original tile, but it's hard to get it to be the right size that I had originally planned it to be. So is there any way to tell Zazzle to make the tile the original size I uploaded? that way I can be sure that the design is really correct.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 2:43:46 AM
Zazzle does it by percentage, not actual dimensions, and so the short answer to your query is that, no, you can't specify a particular size and have it honored. All images are usually sized to fit a specific area. (When not using patterns, the size can be restricted by placing your image on a transparent background the same dimensions as the product.)
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:05:02 AM
Connie wrote:
When adding seamless pattern tiles to items, especially large items like shower curtains, is there a way to tell Zazzle to add it at the original size? For example:
I usually make my tiles 12" x 12" (3600x3600 px). Suppose I make a Lighthouse pattern, and at 100% on Photoshop, the largest lighthouse is 6 inches. That's the size I want it to be on the shower curtain. When I put the tile on the shower curtain on Zazzle, it shows up a lot bigger than 12" square. Even when I set the image to tile, it tiles at the larger size. There should be about 6 squares across on a shower curtain, but the way Zazzle does it, there's only about 2 or 3. I can resize the original tile, but it's hard to get it to be the right size that I had originally planned it to be. So is there any way to tell Zazzle to make the tile the original size I uploaded? that way I can be sure that the design is really correct.

Have you tried using the old tiling tool which is found under the more button along with the template settings? you should see an option there to "tile this image" and it works differently than the pattern tool by using whatever size you have chosen for your image then just simply tiling it from the center. I have used it a lot with my seamless tiles and it has worked fine both before and after the pattern tool was added.

Something I have not liked about the pattern tool is that it moves the tile to off center when tiling. I only use it when I want a half brick or a mirror.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:08:46 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Have you tried using the old tiling tool which is found under the more button along with the template settings? you should see an option there to "tile this image" and it works differently than the pattern tool bu using whatever size you have chosen for your image then just simply tiling it. I have used it a lot with my seamless tiles and it has worked fine both before and after the pattern tool was added.

Except you don't get the various types of tiling like you do with the pattern tool, but yes, the older tool is easier to use, and if straight tiling is what you want, it's a snap to use, resizing and repositioning being far easier.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 3:56:32 PM
Connie wrote:

Have you tried using the old tiling tool which is found under the more button along with the template settings? you should see an option there to "tile this image" and it works differently than the pattern tool by using whatever size you have chosen for your image then just simply tiling it from the center. I have used it a lot with my seamless tiles and it has worked fine both before and after the pattern tool was added.

Something I have not liked about the pattern tool is that it moves the tile to off center when tiling. I only use it when I want a half brick or a mirror.

That's the one I use. I didn't know there was a new pattern tool. But when I first add the image, it puts it in the center and it's a lot bigger than original size, so when it tiles, it keeps that big size, and just sort of adds more copies around the center image. So then I have to resize that center square manually, and it's very hard for me to get it the correct size. I count all the little squares on the grid, and try to approximate the right size, but it would be a lot easier if I could just tell Zazzle to keep the tile 100%, which would be 12x12.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 4:03:21 PM
ok, well maybe try the pattern tool and see if you can get the results you are looking for. It sounded to me like you were already using it.

try and and see what happens.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:35:25 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Have you tried using the old tiling tool which is found under the more button along with the template settings? you should see an option there to "tile this image" and it works differently than the pattern tool bu using whatever size you have chosen for your image then just simply tiling it. I have used it a lot with my seamless tiles and it has worked fine both before and after the pattern tool was added.

Except you don't get the various types of tiling like you do with the pattern tool, but yes, the older tool is easier to use, and if straight tiling is what you want, it's a snap to use, resizing and repositioning being far easier.

I think I've been using the old tiling tool to set the image to tile and then going to the pattern tool and setting it. I think that worked, but may be wrong. Best of both worlds.
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 2:43:21 PM
ok, well maybe try the pattern tool and see if you can get the results you are looking for. It sounded to me like you were already using it.

Thank you very much! That was what I was looking for. In the pattern tool, they have the option to specify the size of the tile, which is what I needed, so that a 12" tile will be 12" on the actual item, and so I know exactly the size of the elements.
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 5:13:02 PM
Connie wrote:

Thank you very much! That was what I was looking for. In the pattern tool, they have the option to specify the size of the tile, which is what I needed, so that a 12" tile will be 12" on the actual item, and so I know exactly the size of the elements.

Oh good! Smile