Question About Color Printing on Wood Panels
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:14:11 AM
When viewing a lot of the wood wall art panels, it disturbs me to find a lot of them with family portraits of people wearing white clothing. We were informed when these products were first introduced that "white" will not be printed on these wood products. Perhaps in one of the Zazzle Chats, this issue should be brought up again. My question is this: If we use a photo image as the base print and we overlay white text over the print, will the white text be printed?
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 12:22:23 AM
northwestphotos wrote:
My question is this: If we use a photo image as the base print and we overlay white text over the print, will the white text be printed?

Nope. If there is no underlying white ink, all white becomes transparent, no matter the design object. That being said: The different objects you use in your designs get merged to a single, flattened print file image, unless stated otherwise. As always in regular color prints without extra layers for separate prints or effects, such as extra Pantone colors, foil print, embossed/UV areas etc.

northwestphotos wrote:
When viewing a lot of the wood wall art panels, it disturbs me to find a lot of them with family portraits of people wearing white clothing. We were informed...

Don't look at others as a reference, only a tiny percentage of Zazzle's designers work professionally and/or with care on the products. You could easily cut the marketplace content to probably 20% by removing all designs not meeting minimal quality standards. Not talking about artistic capabilities and design styles that are subject to personal preferences, I'm purely talking about quality and care. E.g. making sure the image is not blurry, there are no unprinted edges, you don't have a 4-lines quote on a 1-inch necklace...
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 7:59:06 AM
northwestphotos wrote:
When viewing a lot of the wood wall art panels, it disturbs me to find a lot of them with family portraits of people wearing white clothing. We were informed when these products were first introduced that "white" will not be printed on these wood products. Perhaps in one of the Zazzle Chats, this issue should be brought up again. My question is this: If we use a photo image as the base print and we overlay white text over the print, will the white text be printed?

If you overlay white text it will 'print'...... kind of. It won't technically print, but those areas will drop completely out so that you will still see the text. Now if the areas you've put text over are very light in the first place it may be hard to read, but as long as there's a good amount of contrast it works fine - you just have to remember white=wood/background color, not actually white.

Take a look at some of the 'inspiration' examples/reviewer photos and you'll see what I mean.

Also look at them for people wearing white clothing - there's a good one of a toddler in a big floofy white dress - it works, because the piece of clothing doesn't drop out entirely - there's still a good deal of shading that does print and only the brightest highlights are dropped entirely for the wood grain. You have to want the effect, but it doesn't make the people look like they are wearing nothing.... I suppose if the photo were overexposed badly it might look terrible, but then it would look terrible anyway...
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 8:49:25 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will stay away from using white text and just stick with black text.
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 11:00:08 AM
northwestphotos wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will stay away from using white text and just stick with black text.

The wood panels are amazingly beautiful, perfect for rustic/vintage designs and gifts/decor. I will stick to warm, brownish tones and darker/rustic designs on them. Mainly brown and black animals and fall themes. These complement the wooden surface best. I would avoid pastel and blue-ish tones, and light designs in general unless you want to highlight the wooden texture. Now I hope, the panels don't go oos, too, as my favorites tend to do, lol.

Edit: oh, and they make great DIY keychain holder Smile