Opacity is back,yay
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 12:36:42 PM
Opacity is back in the design tool for text and for the fill of shapes. I just noticed it today. It was here for about a week long ago, at the dawn of the design tool. Then it disappeared. Hearts were broken.

Now it's back.Grin

I hope it sticks forever. That opacity is just the best thing since....well...since the shapes tool.
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 12:56:50 PM
Woo hoo! I was just missing it the other day!

Thank you ZRoses
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 2:19:54 PM
That's super news. When it was removed, I felt like a little kid whose ice cream cone had lost its substance on the sidewalk.
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:01:45 PM
Hi Designers - We're unfortunately going to be turning this feature off. Some of our manufacturers’ print quality suffers when transparency is added which is bad for our customers, so we’re looking into improving it. We hope to get this resolved soon! Please stay tuned for our official announcement.
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:08:19 PM
Crying Crying Crying
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 6:32:44 PM
Christine wrote:
Hi Designers - We're unfortunately going to be turning this feature off. Some of our manufacturers’ print quality suffers when transparency is added which is bad for our customers, so we’re looking into improving it. We hope to get this resolved soon! Please stay tuned for our official announcement.

what!? oh well back to Gimp to make my own..
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:32:50 AM
Sigh.
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 10:03:47 PM
Christine wrote:

So I have designed a bunch of products with my own semi transparent shapes. Does the print quality suffer on those, as well, or just the ones that were made with the Zazzle design tool?
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 2:09:02 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Christine wrote:

So I have designed a bunch of products with my own semi transparent shapes. Does the print quality suffer on those, as well, or just the ones that were made with the Zazzle design tool?

I wonder this as well.
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 9:10:52 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:

I've done the same, made my own semi-transparent shapes (circles, squares) for use as background of a name, on top of a pattern. I can say from experience that it suffers on Pad Folios. If the transparency is too high it doesn't even get printed, if the transparency is too low it will show as a solid colored shape (not transparent).

What transparency will come across as the designer wants it to be? I can not say for sure.

Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 11:35:06 AM
ArtAttic wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:

I've done the same, made my own semi-transparent shapes (circles, squares) for use as background of a name, on top of a pattern. I can say from experience that it suffers on Pad Folios. If the transparency is too high it doesn't even get printed, if the transparency is too low it will show as a solid colored shape (not transparent).

What transparency will come across as the designer wants it to be? I can not say for sure.

I have designed an opaque white page (about 50% transaparency). I add it over the top of full color photos or designs when making stationery so that there can be a design but you can still see the handwriting over it. I also added it to the inside of some envelopes that I made to match a set of note cards which I then ordered for my mom. I got to see them in person before giving them to her and they looked exactly as I expected them to look.

Here is the picture I submitted of them together when I made my review.

it shows the cards with the full color photo and the envelopes with the opaque overlay on the same photo so you can get a feel of how a 50% white transparency looks after printing.

I also ordered stationery with this same feature and it came out great.
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 12:37:10 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

That does look pretty Shelli Smile

My transparent circle on a Pad Folio didn't get printed/wasn't noticeable at all. I don't remember the opacity amount, but apparently too much to get noticed by the printing equipment. It looked good on the product page, but once I received the product it was a letdown. Then the same product but with less opacity for the circle didn't let the pattern shine through.

My guess is that it depends on the amount of opacity/transparency being used and also on the product it's being printed on. And not all products come out exactly like the product page shows.
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 12:51:32 PM
ArtAttic wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

That does look pretty Shelli Smile

My transparent circle on a Pad Folio didn't get printed/wasn't noticeable at all. I don't remember the opacity amount, but apparently too much to get noticed by the printing equipment. It looked good on the product page, but once I received the product it was a letdown. Then the same product but with less opacity for the circle didn't let the pattern shine through.

My guess is that it depends on the amount of opacity/transparency being used and also on the product it's being printed on. And not all products come out exactly like the product page shows.

yes, it might work great on paper but not so much on fabric or plastic. Smile
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 9:49:37 PM
I had forgotten that I had ordered some of my products that I used the semitransparent white overlays on. Like this envelope. I used my overlay for the strip across the middle, which is set at 30% transparency. I then put 3 more layers over that to make the smaller box for the ship to address. Then I also used 3 for the box to put in the return address. Also used one 30% overlay for the inside.

Works very well on paper, apparently. Have not tried ordering anything with this in plastic or fabric. I have a bunch of those dry erase magnetic sheets that I've used the overlays on, so I may order one and see how those turn out.

Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 2:50:18 PM
I hope they bring this option back for the shapes it would be very helpful for post it notes, notepads, business cards, etc.

Crying Crying Crying