New design tool (2018) tips and tricks 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 1:37:48 PM
In the new design tool:

*The CENTERED feature of the patterns tool works exactly like the old tiling that we used to have under more options ...

*press ALT+S to center the design on the designing area.

*to find the background colors, click on layers then options (on the left), then look on the right at the top... to get the color choices click on the background color tile.

*to find the "make this object a template" option first highlight the layer you want, then look on the right and scroll down behind the
preview panel or minimize the preview panel by clicking on the - (minus sign)

*to copy and paste, hit EDIT>SELECT> EDIT>COPY EDIT>PASTE
or highlight the layers you want and hit CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste

*to move your layer in increments, use your keyboard arrow keys... for smaller moves press CTRL+ARROW.
for diagonal moves
^ + > moves diagonally to the upper right
^ + < moves diagonally to the upper left
v + > moves diagonally to the lower right
v + < moves diagonally to the lower left

*you can delete layers several ways...

1.) select the layer and click the tiny trash can icon opposite from the rotate icon on the design area

2.) select the layer and use the backspace or delete key on your keyboard

3.) select the layer and hit EDIT>CUT

* Edit>Clear wipes the design area clean. Just make sure if you have elements that you want to keep that you lock them first so they will remain, then you can unlock them again after you are done.

* in order to hide any layer whether text or images click the little eye icon on the layer to the right. You only see them when you hover your mouse over the layer...

Blue means visible,
Gray means hidden.

to select more than one layer at a time click the layers you want one by one while holding down the CTRL button on your keyboard

or if you want all of them hit EDIT>SELECT ALL

then you can copy or paste or move them...

*UPDATE: (11/18/18) And now the old way of selecting multiple layers with the SHIFT key is back also

Select the first (top) layer that you want by right clicking on it, then while holding the SHIFT key select the last layer you want by right clicking on it (bottom), and all the layers in between will also be selected. This works from bottom to top also.

you can also move layers by dragging and dropping them or use the "FORWARD" "BACKWARD" controls at the top of the window.

ZOOM ISSUE *For the weird results when trying to use your browser zoom to enlarge the design area:

I found a little trick that works for me when trying to use browser zoom to see my design better.

You know how the sides get bigger and the design window smaller when you try to zoom in with your browser?

Well it also works in reverse... if you zoom out the sides get smaller and the design window gets bigger.

At least this works for me using Firefox. I can't vouch for other browsers because I only use FF.

but try it and see if it works and could be a temporary workaround for you...

That's all I have right now... please add anything you have found!

I hope this helps some of you who haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

There is also some helpful information when you click HELP at the top right or the ? at the bottom right hand corner.
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:23:35 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
In the new design tool:

*The centering feature of the patterns tool works exactly like the old tiling that we used to have under more options ...

*press alt+s to center the design on the designing area.

*to find the background colors, click on layers then options (on the left), then look on the right at the top... to get the color choices click on the background color tile.

*to find the "make this object a template" option first highlight the layer you want then look on the right and scroll down behind the

*to copy and paste hit edit>select> edit>copy edit>paste
or highlight the layers you want and hit control C to copy and control V to paste

*to move your layer in increments use your keyboard arrow keys... for smaller moves press control + arrow.
for diagonal moves

There is also some helpful information when you click help at the top right or the ? at the bottom right hand corner.

===
Thanks for starting this Shelli.
*I learned that the background color chooser area is on the left at the bottom in the shape of a gear.
* I learned to delete a layer..use the delete key.
* I learned that you can grab a bunch of layers to manipulate within one product you no longer can use the shift key...you must use the ctrl key.

What I have not done successfully yet...is to move one design to a different product. Yes...I did tickle the background color. No joy yet.
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 6:45:24 PM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
In the new design tool:

*The centering feature of the patterns tool works exactly like the old tiling that we used to have under more options ...

*press alt+s to center the design on the designing area.

*to find the "make this object a template" option first highlight the layer you want then look on the right and scroll down behind the

*to copy and paste hit edit>select> edit>copy edit>paste
or highlight the layers you want and hit control C to copy and control V to paste

*to move your layer in increments use your keyboard arrow keys... for smaller moves press control + arrow.
for diagonal moves

There is also some helpful information when you click help at the top right or the ? at the bottom right hand corner.

===
Thanks for starting this Shelli.
*I learned that the background color chooser area is on the left at the bottom in the shape of a gear.
* I learned to delete a layer..use the delete key.
* I learned that you can grab a bunch of layers to manipulate within one product you no longer can use the shift key...you must use the ctrl key.

What I have not done successfully yet...is to move one design to a different product. Yes...I did tickle the background color. No joy yet.

I don't know why copy/paste is giving you problems... but as a temporary work around you might try the transfer design function found on the product page under the design thumbnail and see if that works for you.
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 4:21:58 AM
Besides temporarily changing the background color to revive the paste function you can temporarily add text. You have to do this sort of thing before you try to paste anything.

Or is it that the trick doesn't work in the new design tool? I can't check because I currently have the old one.
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:09:34 AM
I have found that when paste won’t work, if you hit clear under the edit option (on the item you are pasting to) then it will let me paste. It will ask if you are sure you want to clear everything and hit yes.

Malissa
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:21:47 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Besides temporarily changing the background color to revive the paste function you can temporarily add text. You have to do this sort of thing before you try to paste anything.

Or is it that the trick doesn't work in the new design tool? I can't check because I currently have the old one.

I still works but It takes more clicks to get there.

Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:22:14 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I have found that when paste won’t work, if you hit clear under the edit option (on the item you are pasting to) then it will let me paste. It will ask if you are sure you want to clear everything and hit yes.

Malissa

Great tip! Thanks!
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:39:31 AM
Here is a new issue.

If you have a Text line that is being hidden for use in other future design..and post..and try to Personalize the new design as a customer...that hidden Text field is not hidden at all.

I have 3 Text lines in a design. The hidden left over text line shows up for the customer leaving them scratching their head.

I know I can just delete it in the back end...but sometimes, I leave things hidden for future designs. It's my way of making semi-templates.

I also leave certain images hidden for related certain designs so I can mix and match. I have not tested this yet because so far, my images are jpgs and not png/transparent.

I don't use quick create so this is my strange way of workingSmile
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 7:39:09 AM
Here is a new issue.

If you have a Text line that is being hidden for use in other future design..and post..and try to Personalize the new design as a customer...that hidden Text field is not hidden at all.

I have 3 Text lines in a design. The hidden left over text line shows up for the customer leaving them scratching their head.

I know I can just delete it in the back end...but sometimes, I leave things hidden for future designs. It's my way of making semi-templates.

I also leave certain images hidden for related certain designs so I can mix and match. I have not tested this yet because so far, my images are jpgs and not png/transparent.

This might be a tech issue? not sure, or might need to go in the official feedback thread.

Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 7:57:50 AM
I'm not entirely sure about this, but hasn't hidden text always ended up showing and editable when the product is published?
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 8:01:20 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I'm not entirely sure about this, but hasn't hidden text always ended up showing and editable when the product is published?

I think you are right, if you go into the designer to customize all the hidden layers show in the sidebar. So assuming that is what Anna meant it is not unexpected behavior.
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 8:20:44 AM
Colorwash wrote:

If so...I had never noticed until now. I typically check the appearance..not the Personalizing part.
I had always assumed that hidden meant hidden.
Oh boy...maybe I have been dealing with this all along.
I sure must have a hidden mess on my hands.
Too many items to reconstruct...and thousands of wasted hours.
Darn.... Crying

Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 8:34:25 AM
Hey Shelli, thanks for starting this thread! I hope it becomes a sticky
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 10:12:12 AM
Here is a new issue.

This might be a tech issue? not sure, or might need to go in the official feedback thread.

I just did. Thanks Shelli.
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 1:53:12 PM
waterart wrote:
Hey Shelli, thanks for starting this thread! I hope it becomes a sticky

your welcome! Thought if we could get all the tips and tricks in one place that would make it easier when we get stuck.

That would be nice if it was sticky! maybe the mods will pin it to the top for us? pretty please?Roses
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 1:58:21 PM
Colorwash wrote:

If so...I had never noticed until now. I typically check the appearance..not the Personalizing part.
I had always assumed that hidden meant hidden.
Oh boy...maybe I have been dealing with this all along.
I sure must have a hidden mess on my hands.
Too many items to reconstruct...and thousands of wasted hours.
Darn.... Crying

Yes, hidden layers do still appear in the design tool (old and new) to designers as well as customers but you have to, on purpose, click on the eye icon to make them visible.

If it is any ease to your mind, last year I made some hidden layers especially for the shopper to be able to choose different elements but it seems that no one ever figured out how it worked. Either that or they never even noticed them at all.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 2:43:02 PM
Thank you for sharing the tips, Shelli Love

I agree that this post should be sticky.
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 4:18:17 AM
The problem with sticky threads is that they often go unnoticed, people don't post to them, and the threads turn into mummies. Why? Because the little icon is permanently blue amongst other permanently blue icons.
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 9:19:54 AM
Colorwash wrote:
The problem with sticky threads is that they often go unnoticed, people don't post to them, and the threads turn into mummies. Why? Because the little icon is permanently blue amongst other permanently blue icons.

true... maybe I will just have to bump this one sometimes...
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:13:50 PM
Bump
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:00:30 AM
@Z forum Moderators

Is it possible to get this thread stickied? Pretty please!
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:34:30 AM
Thanks for posting this thread, Shelli!
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:13:30 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:

Malissa

Thank you that definitely worked but what a strange work around. It was so nice to be able to copy and paste easily between two designs in different windows. I love the forums for always being able to find the answers I need!
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 1:14:35 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread, Shelli!

always happy to help!
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:41:13 AM
Bumping this thread to the top, it really should be a sticky, I forgot how to center and went looking for this thread.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:36:05 PM
waterart wrote:
Bumping this thread to the top, it really should be a sticky, I forgot how to center and went looking for this thread.

Thanks for the bump!

Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 4:03:49 AM
Because there's no way I can remember the ALT combinations for moving objects, and because constantly looking at the shortcuts by clicking Help is distracting and time-consuming, I typed them up using a large font and printed them out. Until they give back the move tool to us, I recommend printing up something that sits right next to you on your desk. It truly helps.
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 6:45:53 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Because there's no way I can remember the ALT combinations for moving objects, and because constantly looking at the shortcuts by clicking Help is distracting and time-consuming, I typed them up using a large font and printed them out. Until they give back the move tool to us, I recommend printing up something that sits right next to you on your desk. It truly helps.

Good tip!
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 7:19:41 AM
Fro anyone forgetting the shortcuts or keys to use for those, click on the Help button> Shortcuts. Grin

Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:31:26 PM
Thanksss a lot Shelli for this very useful post. Can you please tell me how to select multiple layers in this new design tool?