New design tool (2018) tips and tricks 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:42:58 PM
shabnamahsan wrote:
Thanksss a lot Shelli for this very useful post. Can you please tell me how to select multiple layers in this new design tool?

You are welcome!

to select more than one layer at a time click the layers you want one by one while holding down the control button on your keyboard

or if you want all of them hit edit>select all

then you can copy or paste or move them...

hth!
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 10:42:35 AM
bump
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:15:10 AM
ArtAttic wrote:
The shift key works again for choosing multiple layers.

Oh Yay! I will add this to the OP! thanks @ArtAttic!
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:57:11 PM
bump
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:15:30 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
bump

Did you write to the moderator gang asking that this thread be stickied? If not, maybe it would work.
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:45:58 AM
I haven’t tried that yet. Might do it today. Thanks CW!
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 11:11:29 AM
When creating a product:

Click "Help" with the ? mark at the bottom left > select "shortcuts"
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 11:48:19 AM
monoshoppe wrote:
When creating a product:

Click "Help" with the ? mark at the bottom left > select "shortcuts"

Thanks I think I already got that one on the original post, but great tip!
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 11:05:34 AM
bump
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 3:00:05 PM
Stickied!Grin
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 3:05:32 PM
Christine wrote:
Stickied!Grin

Oh wow! thank you so much Christine!Love
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 4:27:26 PM
Shelli, I have no tip or trick at the moment. I just wanted to say that I have shared this thread a time or two and am so glad that is a sticky!

Actually....

Let me add that Edit>Clear wipes the design area clean. Just make sure if you have elements that you want to keep that you lock them first so they will remain (then unlock them if that is your choice). I use clear when I have many elements to delete but don't want to use CUT because it will wipe out what I have copied for another product use.
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 5:10:19 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Shelli, I have no tip or trick at the moment. I just wanted to say that I have shared this thread a time or two and am so glad that is a sticky!

Actually....

Let me add that Edit>Clear wipes the design area clean. Just make sure if you have elements that you want to keep that you lock them first so they will remain (then unlock them if that is your choice). I use clear when I have many elements to delete but don't want to use CUT because it will wipe out what I have copied for another product use.

great tip Gina! I will add that to the OP soon...
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 5:58:26 PM
I haven't made products in what seems like ages.
I come back in and WOW! So boggling. Why the change at all?

Anyway, how does one "lock" an image like we could in the past
for our copyrights?
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 6:04:45 PM
Brownielocks wrote:
I haven't made products in what seems like ages.
I come back in and WOW! So boggling. Why the change at all?

Anyway, how does one "lock" an image like we could in the past
for our copyrights?

Click the Layers tab. Hover over the element you want to lock and click the blue lock icon that appears. It will then turn gray.

Blue = Unlocked
Gray = Locked
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 5:52:59 AM
Thanks Gina. Sure is a teeny weeny little icon. ;) For us old folks, this is getting difficult.
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 6:20:26 PM
In the new design tool:

*The CENTERED feature of the patterns tool works exactly like the old tiling that we used to have under more options ...

*press ALT+S to center the design on the designing area.

*to find the background colors, click on layers then options (on the left), then look on the right at the top... to get the color choices click on the background color tile.

UPDATE: background colors can now be found on the left under layers>options> however the color palette is still over on the right side of the screen.

*to find the "make this object a template" option first highlight the layer you want, then look on the right and scroll down behind the
preview panel or minimize the preview panel by clicking on the - (minus sign)

*to copy and paste, hit EDIT>SELECT> EDIT>COPY EDIT>PASTE
or highlight the layers you want and hit CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste

*to move your layer in increments, use your keyboard arrow keys... for smaller moves press CTRL+ARROW.
for diagonal moves
^ + > moves diagonally to the upper right
^ + < moves diagonally to the upper left
v + > moves diagonally to the lower right
v + < moves diagonally to the lower left

*you can delete layers several ways...

1.) select the layer and click the tiny trash can icon opposite from the rotate icon on the design area

2.) select the layer and use the backspace or delete key on your keyboard

3.) select the layer and hit EDIT>CUT

* Edit>Clear wipes the design area clean. Just make sure if you have elements that you want to keep that you lock them first so they will remain, then you can unlock them again after you are done.
She

* in order to hide any layer whether text or images click the little eye icon on the layer to the right. You only see them when you hover your mouse over the layer...

Blue means visible,
Gray means hidden.

to select more than one layer at a time click the layers you want one by one while holding down the CTRL button on your keyboard

or if you want all of them hit EDIT>SELECT ALL

*UPDATE: (11/18/18) And now the old way of selecting multiple layers with the SHIFT key is back also

Select the first (top) layer that you want by right clicking on it, then while holding the SHIFT key select the last layer you want by right clicking on it (bottom), and all the layers in between will also be selected. This works from bottom to top also.

you can also move layers by dragging and dropping them or use the "FORWARD" "BACKWARD" controls at the top of the window.

ZOOM ISSUE *For the weird results when trying to use your browser zoom to enlarge the design area:

I found a little trick that works for me when trying to use browser zoom to see my design better.

You know how the sides get bigger and the design window smaller when you try to zoom in with your browser?

Well it also works in reverse... if you zoom out the sides get smaller and the design window gets bigger.

At least this works for me using Firefox. I can't vouch for other browsers because I only use FF.

but try it and see if it works and could be a temporary workaround for you...

That's all I have right now... please add anything you have found!

I hope this helps some of you who haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

There is also some helpful information when you click HELP at the top right or the ? at the bottom right hand corner.

I just started using the design tool and wanted to select more than one layer. Thank you Shelli for all this!!!

Marilyn
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 6:33:47 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
In the new design tool:

*The CENTERED feature of the patterns tool works exactly like the old tiling that we used to have under more options ...

*press ALT+S to center the design on the designing area.

*to find the background colors, click on layers then options (on the left), then look on the right at the top... to get the color choices click on the background color tile.

UPDATE: background colors can now be found on the left under layers>options> however the color palette is still over on the right side of the screen.

*to find the "make this object a template" option first highlight the layer you want, then look on the right and scroll down behind the
preview panel or minimize the preview panel by clicking on the - (minus sign)

*to copy and paste, hit EDIT>SELECT> EDIT>COPY EDIT>PASTE
or highlight the layers you want and hit CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste

*to move your layer in increments, use your keyboard arrow keys... for smaller moves press CTRL+ARROW.
for diagonal moves
^ + > moves diagonally to the upper right
^ + < moves diagonally to the upper left
v + > moves diagonally to the lower right
v + < moves diagonally to the lower left

*you can delete layers several ways...

1.) select the layer and click the tiny trash can icon opposite from the rotate icon on the design area

2.) select the layer and use the backspace or delete key on your keyboard

3.) select the layer and hit EDIT>CUT

* Edit>Clear wipes the design area clean. Just make sure if you have elements that you want to keep that you lock them first so they will remain, then you can unlock them again after you are done.
She

* in order to hide any layer whether text or images click the little eye icon on the layer to the right. You only see them when you hover your mouse over the layer...

Blue means visible,
Gray means hidden.

to select more than one layer at a time click the layers you want one by one while holding down the CTRL button on your keyboard

or if you want all of them hit EDIT>SELECT ALL

*UPDATE: (11/18/18) And now the old way of selecting multiple layers with the SHIFT key is back also

Select the first (top) layer that you want by right clicking on it, then while holding the SHIFT key select the last layer you want by right clicking on it (bottom), and all the layers in between will also be selected. This works from bottom to top also.

you can also move layers by dragging and dropping them or use the "FORWARD" "BACKWARD" controls at the top of the window.

ZOOM ISSUE *For the weird results when trying to use your browser zoom to enlarge the design area:

I found a little trick that works for me when trying to use browser zoom to see my design better.

You know how the sides get bigger and the design window smaller when you try to zoom in with your browser?

Well it also works in reverse... if you zoom out the sides get smaller and the design window gets bigger.

At least this works for me using Firefox. I can't vouch for other browsers because I only use FF.

but try it and see if it works and could be a temporary workaround for you...

That's all I have right now... please add anything you have found!

I hope this helps some of you who haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

There is also some helpful information when you click HELP at the top right or the ? at the bottom right hand corner.

I just started using the design tool and wanted to select more than one layer. Thank you Shelli for all this!!!

Marilyn

I am glad it helped you Marilyn!
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 7:41:53 PM
ArtAttic wrote:
@Shelli

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, and a lot of us might know already, but there is a trick to rotate layers (one or multiple layers at the same time) in increments of 15 degrees (instead of just the regular 45 degrees) by holding down the keyboard control button while clicking the left or right 'Rotate' feature in the design tool.

Ciao! Smile

If I ever knew that before, I must have completely forgot about it. Thanks for sharing this very useful tip!
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:26:12 PM
ArtAttic wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
If I ever knew that before, I must have completely forgot about it. Thanks for sharing this very useful tip!

You're very welcome. I noticed it today and was like... DUH! Since I should've known this from working with previous design tools lol

Wow thanks for that cool tip! I never would have figured it out or even thought of trying!

Adding, I like knowing incremental steps because sometimes you just need to be very precise and the handles are just good for eyeballing it.
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 6:48:28 PM
Searching for color combinations?

here are two links to help you with cool colorwheel tools

https://paletton.com/
https://color.adobe.com/ (also available within Photohop, see Windows/Kuler)
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 9:44:15 PM
Re: Color in general (to include combos), I like:

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp among others.

And, for Androids: Color Grab by Loomatix (Google Play Store).
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 4:05:51 AM
·▽·

For adding QR-Codes with your shop url embellished with logo or cute designs, check out this QR-generator:

https://www.unitag.io/qrcode

You can make a working QR-Link with RF-ID and tracecode that looks like this

Tested with a QR-scanner on my tablet.
Idea Works! Idea

Ideal for adding a phone readable link to the back of cards for convenience and maybe even as a service for business cards.

... and of course ideal for the zazzle create made social media ads so your images have an affiliate link even if the image is shared without your description.

·△·
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 6:17:54 AM
vivendulies wrote:
·▽·

For adding QR-Codes with your shop url embellished with logo or cute designs, check out this QR-generator:

https://www.unitag.io/qrcode

You can make a working QR-Link with RF-ID and tracecode that looks like this

Tested with a QR-scanner on my tablet.
Idea Works! Idea

Ideal for adding a phone readable link to the back of cards for convenience and maybe even as a service for business cards.

... and of course ideal for the zazzle create made social media ads so your images have an affiliate link even if the image is shared without your description.

·△·

This is a great idea! I think I will add one to the back of my cards along with my logo, just need to get some time...

thanks for the link!

Adding: I just made one for my Shellibeanz store! it works and it matches my teal color scheme! so cool!

all my new cards will have this on the back!
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:17:03 PM
·▽·

Another useful and easy to use QR code generator:

https://www.qrcode-monkey.com