Muted Colors 3 pages: 1 2 [3]
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:15:22 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

As an example of an exception, would most brides choose a zombie theme for the suite of products they'll need for a wedding? Probably not...

I made a list of wedding themes to get started on and zombie theme is first on the list, right above large mouth bass theme and beer and pizza theme. Back to the drawing board, lol.
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:44:11 PM
I'm finding zazzle's front page to be such a snore lately. It doesn't inspire me. I'm tired of grey and neutrals.
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:20:25 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

As an example of an exception, would most brides choose a zombie theme for the suite of products they'll need for a wedding? Probably not...

I made a list of wedding themes to get started on and zombie theme is first on the list, right above large mouth bass theme and beer and pizza theme. Back to the drawing board, lol.

How about a theme focused on a zombie large mouth bass chasing a pizza? It's dangerous to get me started this way - LOL!
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 3:45:34 AM
How about a "Don't Come" theme so the couple doesn't have to deal with all the ceremony, crowd, and expense--just the stationery?
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:36:24 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Susannah Keegan wrote:
For weddings it seems you really have to go all in. Not only must you design the invitations but there are the response cards, save-the-date cards,,thank you cards et. etc. etc. So much stuff that it has its own department. It's so much commitment to one design concept that if your concept fails, three dozen or so products fail along with it. I'm just not ready for such a design commitment, especially with such daunting diamond level competition.

Yes - this exactly ^.

I've been getting more into the wedding department, as I know it sells, and I want to have products that sell in my stores. Not that I want to sell out, or anything. I still have to remain true to my own style, and I think I'm coming along nicely with that. I like where things are going in terms of my designs. We'll see what happens. I definitely don't want to copy what everyone else is doing. I've always danced the beat of my own drum. I still have yet to finish out a collection with my wedding designs.

I don't think creating wedding items necessarily equates with selling out, especially if you can work your own style into it. But there is a risk that they won't sell... I made some that I think are different and unique and they are going nowhere fast. lol! But just because they don't appeal to the masses doesn't mean somebody won't like them it they could just see them... Shocked

Yeah, that's the thing, getting them seen. And will they appeal to people? I can only hope. I like where my designs are going, at least, and I'm enjoying the process.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:41:40 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
This reminds me of when people ask what are people's bestselling products, probably hoping to find out where they ought to focus their efforts. (Not speaking of you, Jerry.) The inquiries are inevitably met with disparate answers, one person saying their cards sell best, another saying it's pillows, a third saying phone cases, a fourth luggage tags, and so on. What sells best for people depends more on their design style than on where they place their designs.

I think to some extent it matters whether the products chosen are a good fit for the style of the art. It's certainly not a hard and fast rule, though. Sometimes defying the expected works, sometimes it's an utter failure. It can be genius, or end up a regretful "What was I thinking?"

As an example of an exception, would most brides choose a zombie theme for the suite of products they'll need for a wedding? Probably not; there's a lot of tradition surrounding weddings, and it endures because people perpetuate the traditions. However, the zombie genre goes through periods of popularity, and seems to always have a solid and enduring fan base. You can find zombie-themed wedding products on Zazzle. Do they sell? I suspect they do, but it's a niche market.

So maybe it's a choice between trying to compete with traditional wedding themes with your own artistic spin, or figuring out whether your art fits an under-served niche with less competition, and seeing whether you can successfully adapt it to those products. Then figuring out where/how to market them.

I think we all know this stuff, but sometimes forget it when we get caught up in the artistic process, and enthusiastically start choosing products with less than careful consideration. Wedding suites especially take a fair amount of planning and thought, do they not? It's sure more than I would ever want to take on (but then I got married in a courthouse during a trial's recess for lunch, avoiding all the wedding ceremony and reception planning.)

For those who want to take on wedding designing, I admire your 'intestinal fortitude', even if I do think it would make me totally nuts (it's a short trip, I know. Grin )

Well, I'm certainly enjoying doing the wedding designs, and hopefully, I can hit upon something within my style that will sell. I have to be true to my style, which means my designs should mostly include elements of my photography, as that's the entire reason I got into designing on Z in the first place so that I could make money with my photography. Since straight up art prints are not selling, I've been branching into other things, anything that I think my designs will look good on. My sales have been improving little-by-little, although I can't say I've sold any wedding products just yet. I have very little to offer in that department so far, so I'm sure things will eventually move along once I get more designs out there.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:44:18 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
For those who want to take on wedding designing, I admire your 'intestinal fortitude', even if I do think it would make me totally nuts (it's a short trip, I know. Grin )

I very quickly lost my mind when trying to do wedding suites. It's so utterly not my thing, and I don't know why I didn't realize it before even trying. I hate weddings, even my own. Really, what was I thinking?

LOL!!!

I am enjoying the process, so there is that!
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:46:58 PM
Mylittleeden wrote:
I do my own thing I am on the bright and happy side of color. Somethings do well some not so much everything it is all a bit of trial and error best thing about zazzle is you can trial colors and designs to hearts delight Grin

I have my style and I am too stubborn to follow closely all the trends. Personally I like to go my own way and do my own thing. The market is full of other creators following trends grabbing stock art and creating similar things. I like to think I am doing something a bit different by creating my art and design from scratch for me that is what matters. Love

Same here! Have to be true to my own style or why am I doing this. Yes, I want to make money, but I don't want to fall into the cookie cutter mind set.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:48:46 PM
Just wanted to say you guys are cracking me up! Thanks for the laughs! Laughing
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:10:14 AM
Colorwash wrote:
How about a "Don't Come" theme so the couple doesn't have to deal with all the ceremony, crowd, and expense--just the stationery?

LOL!

I could not resist making this...

hope it sells!
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:01:39 PM
Hilarious, Shelli!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:28:35 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Hilarious, Shelli!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

thanks Karen!Love
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:54:24 PM
Are you posting it for sale? You never know, someone might actually buy it. Laughing
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:36:37 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Are you posting it for sale? You never know, someone might actually buy it. Laughing

yes ma’am. I have quite a few goofy products like this that were inspired by forum conversations. Sooner or later one of them will sell I hope!
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:57:09 AM
Shelli, I love it! It's perfect!
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:58:22 AM
@ Shelli...
I would not be surprised if it sells! Toooo funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:44:04 PM
Thanks @ Artattic I hope you're right!

Thank you CW ! you have inspired many of my goofy joke products Happy

The funniest part to me is that I could have sent these out 22 years ago when me and Mr. Fitzpatrick went to Wheeler TX and eloped. LOL
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:09:16 PM
I hope your card finds its way into the public eye. I've known so many people who did it the no-stress elopement way and would have loved having your card to send.

Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 1:17:49 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I hope your card finds its way into the public eye. I've known so many people who did it the no-stress elopement way and would have loved having your card to send.

I am promoting it!
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 1:41:42 PM
Today's front page banner (bear on a hill, sitting against a tree) really exemplifies Zazzle's washed-out ethos.

It's a nice scene, but something about it leaves me feeling rather sad, like some vampire came along and sucked all the joy right out of the world.

Not saying there needs to be a riot of color. But when everything is so desaturated it takes on a lifeless look. Winters are hard enough without turning the rest of our existence gray.

Sorry, I actually really want to like that scene. Taking in "the wonder of it all" is certainly a worthy theme - but where is the 'wonder' we're supposed to take in? The only thing it makes me wonder is where all the color went.

I may have to go make something riotous as therapy.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 2:53:06 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Today's front page banner (bear on a hill, sitting against a tree) really exemplifies Zazzle's washed-out ethos.

It's a nice scene, but something about it leaves me feeling rather sad, like some vampire came along and sucked all the joy right out of the world.

Not saying there needs to be a riot of color. But when everything is so desaturated it takes on a lifeless look. Winters are hard enough without turning the rest of our existence gray.

Sorry, I actually really want to like that scene. Taking in "the wonder of it all" is certainly a worthy theme - but where is the 'wonder' we're supposed to take in? The only thing it makes me wonder is where all the color went.

I may have to go make something riotous as therapy.

It had the same effect on me the cute art that could have been cheerful looked depressing and dull. I hate to be harsh and hopefully the customer base likes it.