Mug design consideration
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:14:26 AM
So I have a nitpicky question about mugs... and I'd like your opinions.

I designed most of my mugs with one picture, to the front, like here:

But I see that most mugs have the picture on both sides (so one left and one right, next to the handle). I'm not sure if I like this more, but is this the convention? Or is it a matter of taste/design? What would you suggest?
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:32:11 AM
There's no rule; rather, it's a matter of taste. I generally place a design so it's visible to both left- and right-handers along with anyone facing the person holding the cup. This means the design is on both sides of the mug.

There was a discussion about this here in the forums quite a while ago, and the conclusion was...none.
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:36:10 AM
Thank you for replying! It's a really silly thing to obsess about, but I guess that's what happens when you've been staring at your zazzle product creation screen for too long Laughing
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:38:34 AM
Creacat wrote:
Thank you for replying! It's a really silly thing to obsess about, but I guess that's what happens when you've been staring at your zazzle product creation screen for too long Laughing

We're all obsessive.
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 6:47:29 AM
Oh no, what did I get myself into! ;)

And I think I'll redesign my mugs. Your reasoning makes sense. It's nice to be able to see the picture, while you're holding the cup.
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 7:17:27 AM
Or you could go all around with that design, like this.

Posted: Monday, February 03, 2020 8:05:10 AM
Or you can do a variation on the wraparound:

Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 4:43:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice and inspiration! I'm glad I'm not breaking any "unwritten mug design rules". Laughing