Lighter issue
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 11:04:00 PM
I'm actually pretty upset.. I made two lighters and they were under review since the end of January. Today I receive two e-mails saying they were rejected. Why? Because the images were appleaing to children....?

They are lighters..they're not children's toys.. One said "Spark me up" and the other one was a Mermaid theme.

I'm sorry (and I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinion, and I'm sure there are specific rules...) but, isn't that unfair? What child will buy a lighter in the first place? And, if they do...they can buy any lighter design they want.. why is this an issue?

I'm confused..Crying Someone please explain the logic to me?
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 4:17:46 AM
I've had clearly adult designs rejected as being supposedly attractive to children, enough of them so I stopped designing lighters altogether, but regardless, Zippo isn't concerned about a toddler walking into a store and buying a lighter. Instead, it's what's sitting on the kitchen table that a toddler might be attracted to. The problem is that youngsters are attracted to ALL small, shiny objects. The jewelry sold here on Zazzle is extremely dangerous because, unlike a lighter, it can be swallowed. Ages ago, I saved my own toddler from choking on a ring I'd very stupidly left in an accessible spot, so to my mind, the onus is on parents, but in the end, it's up to Zippo what goes on their lighters and what doesn't.

Conclusion: We have to accept the inability to figure out what will or won't be approved, or instead, we can do what many have done, which is to say the heck with it.
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 5:49:47 AM
I'd suggest only making them if you have a design that'll fit without much editing. There's a good chance they'll reject it, so it's not worth spending a lot of time on it.
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:29:49 AM
Yep, Done with Zippo, they make it too hard and just end up wasting my time. On the bright side I now have no more worries about it and more time to make other stuff!
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:39:37 PM
That's crazy...A child can obtain ANYTHING... it's up to you to not leave things around.. regardless of the design...

I just saw cute litte puppies and doggies on fruits with faces on the lighters that are being sold...

I guess no zippo lighters for me then.
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:19:21 AM
I had a straight-up saxophone rejected as childish and a sweet tree frog accepted (that sold). Many of us have concluded there's no rhyme nor reason involved in the vetting process. I've also had designs fall apart while waiting to be reviewed, pieces of the designs just plain disappearing, but once sitting in review, there's no way to delete them.
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 5:45:30 PM
DeRaen wrote:
I'm actually pretty upset.. ?

Do your blood pressure a big favor Love ..... forget Zippos. Laughing

But don't blame Zazzle, Zippie is the one that's litigation paranoid
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 8:39:41 PM
@colorwash .. wow lol... no logic then.

@Al Mount - I know I know! I was pretty excited tho, not gonna lie. :]
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:02:57 AM
I keep having them rejected for the reason that they'll only accept them from the artist who originally made the artwork . . . which is me. I write and tell them this and never hear back.
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:06:16 AM
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
I keep having them rejected for the reason that they'll only accept them from the artist who originally made the artwork . . . which is me. I write and tell them this and never hear back.

Which leads to a question I've had all along: Who is vetting the designs? Zazzle or Zippo?
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:33:23 AM
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

exactly! that is why I said, bye zippo!
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:34:44 AM
colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:

Which leads to a question I've had all along: Who is vetting the designs? Zazzle or Zippo?

I think both... but a quick read through the Zippo TOS will give you an idea of how hard it must be for Zazzle vetters...
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:54:34 AM
I've read through all that, but it still seems our designs fall victim to the understanding of individuals who are trying to interpret the rules of the game.
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:24:23 AM
i gave up on lighters. Not worth the headache. It didn't matter WHAT kind of design I used it was rejected. I have better things to do
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:24:47 AM
colorwash wrote:
I've read through all that, but it still seems our designs fall victim to the understanding of individuals who are trying to interpret the rules of the game.

That could be a big part of the problem... when I read the TOS I thought it would be a miracle if anybody got approved. That had a giant part in why I decided to stop designing them on top of the ownership of my rejected designs being questioned and even after I gave proof they were still rejected.
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:15:21 AM
LOL - bringing back an older thread..

I had a design similar to the one below and another in the same style (different 50's style stars with the same monogram) rejected for being cartoon or comic characters appealing to kids.... Really.... maybe all those mustachio'd hipster babies eh?

Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:45:41 AM
I had this one accepted (cartoon anyone?)...

...a lighter-sized one of this original was rejected...

The zebra was rejected because a child might be attracted to it, so why was my sax cat accepted?

...this design was also rejected for the same reason. Maybe bluebirds are too cute...

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Zippo lighters are small, shiny objects. Little children love small, shiny objects. Therefore, by Zippo's own standards, they should shut down their business.

Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:13:48 AM
RFLMAO - I just found this on Zippo's own page...

https://www.zippo.com/collections/lighters/products/yin-yang-leaf?variant=40905294669

and just under that...
https://www.zippo.com/collections/lighters/products/simple-leaf-design?variant=40905911309

in fact there's 6 on the first page of lighters... one with the slogan it's 420 let's get baked

I guess they don't know what a marijuana leaf looks like.....
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 7:58:28 AM
Invincible Penguin wrote:
RFLMAO - I just found this on Zippo's own page...

https://www.zippo.com/collections/lighters/products/yin-yang-leaf?variant=40905294669

and just under that...
https://www.zippo.com/collections/lighters/products/simple-leaf-design?variant=40905911309

in fact there's 6 on the first page of lighters... one with the slogan it's 420 let's get baked

I guess they don't know what a marijuana leaf looks like.....

It leads me to believe that what we're seeing is combination of guidelines, some of them Zippo's and some of them Zazzle's.
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:04:19 AM
Nope - Zippo offers customization right from their own homepage that does not link to Zazzle's design tools and I checked - the page at Zazzle is pretty much taken verbatim from Zippo - https://www.zippo.com/pages/customize-it-design-tips?from=customizecollection

the last line in the banned items list - Material that glamorizes drug use, including marijuana leaves

lol... all of the marijuana leaf designs on their own page are titled something "simple leaf" or just "leaf"

I guess they just couldn't stand it... they wanted to profit from all the new pot smokers, or at least open ones now that it's legal in some places, but they still can't fess up to exactly what those "leaves" really are Stick out tongue They do stick to the no cartoon characters for their own stuff as far as I could see, but they do have a whole line of MLB and NFL logo stuff, which could be seen as appealing to kids...

I do think the reviewers who keep turning down designs are probably at Zazzle for the most part - and your stuff appears to prove that it depends on the person you get as a reviewer as to exactly how loosely "cartoon character" is defined...
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:51:31 AM
Okay, now that's just plain silly. Zippo officially doesn't know what it's talking about, and they also aren't quite up on botany.
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 7:13:04 PM
Happy to report - I appealed and I got a message today that they changed their mind - stars are not a cartoon character and they'll accept the designs Smile
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:50:44 PM
One thing I'd like to comment about Zippos.

Zippo has, in place, exclusive agreements with other companies.

That means they agreed to logo their lighters with certain *possibly trademarked* companies, such as the NFL.

It is highly possible they have an agreement with a Marijuana farm or dispensary to exclusively sell their lighters with their designs, which would explain the ban for zazzle designers to design that particular subject matter.

It isn't always Zazzle that has the issue, sometimes makers have certain things they already have in place when they hook up here.
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:22:24 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
One thing I'd like to comment about Zippos.

Zippo has, in place, exclusive agreements with other companies.

That means they agreed to logo their lighters with certain *possibly trademarked* companies, such as the NFL.

It is highly possible they have an agreement with a Marijuana farm or dispensary to exclusively sell their lighters with their designs, which would explain the ban for zazzle designers to design that particular subject matter.

It isn't always Zazzle that has the issue, sometimes makers have certain things they already have in place when they hook up here.

Absolutely. Of course, it doesn't explain the odd notions of what is or isn't attractive to childen. No company designs and sells zebras, for instance.

@Invincible Penguin: I hope it works out for you. They did that to me with two designs, and in good faith, I resubmitted the designs, which they rejected in spite of having told me they wouldn't do so.

Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:17:12 AM
To my amazement, the one lighter that has sole multiple times (4)Shocked
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:20:35 AM
Don't ya just love irony?