Judy 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:21:35 AM
roykronk wrote:
Steve Crompton wrote:
@Roy,

I didn't realise you were talking of an actual error you're getting - sorry!

First off, what size is your image (pixel dimensions) and what is the product which is giving the error.

Steve.

That's what OP is talking about:

Jim wrote:
I am trying to set up my first product, a canvas and I am not doing something right. I looked at the guide files but everything is removed. I currently have the image saved at 100ppi but when I use the tool to get it to fill the canvas I get a warning that I have to fix the error. The image itself is approximately 12 inches by 12 inches.

Also, can I use the same size image for any of the canvas sizes?

It may be the PPI matters and may just be that she or he is trying to use a 6x6 image on a 12x12 canvas. I don't know.

The last time I got the nuisance error, was using a 8100x5400, 150 DPI image straight out of my Canon 70D on a custom canvas order. I don't recall the size right now, but I was stumped. No way I should've been warned. I opened it in PS, increased my DPI (yes, I know, not PPI), and it was fine, and he loved the canvas.

Again, my only point is that it's the programming that matters more than anything (my opinion) - whatever Zazzle's programming says will work, will work, whether it makes sense to me and whether OP's PPI is 10 or 1000.

Ok, I see.
Without knowing what size canvas the OP was trying to create it's pretty much impossible to make a judgement..."If you're getting a warning that the image isn't large enough then you need to choose a smaller canvas or upload a larger image" was about the best I could do without more info.

Personally I can't remember having any nasty surprises where the error message is concerned.
EDIT: This is not actually true, I tried once (or twice) to make a binder. There is (or was) something odd about the binders.

Steve.
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:57:48 AM
Jerry wrote:
of course, as always, I may be and probably am wrong.

Given that you and I are on exactly the same page, the question becomes: Is it possible that two wrongs can make a right?

The bigger question is actually why, if pixels don't matter in the least, and if pixels per inch is a meaningless moniker, why does it even exist?
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 6:08:14 AM
Jerry wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
I still can't wrap my brain around this. If you have a 10" square image measuring 3000 pixels x 3000 pixels, then its resolution is going to be 300 ppi. You divide the width in pixels by the width in inches to arrive at the pixels per inch (ppi) - the image's resolution. And yes, I realize the dots per inch (dpi) settings of the printer aren't the same thing.

I just can't figure out how you get from the above to a place where image resolution doesn't matter at all.

I assume that Zazzle has a reason for advising that our images meet a certain minimum resolution for various products; that it matters in some way to their printing process. As a designer I don't really need to know the details of how - I just need to know what works and what doesn't with regard to the images I provide.

I think what they're getting at is that if your image is large enough (dimensions) then it shouldn't matter what the ppi is.

It seems to me that ppi shouldn't matter if you're print area is roughly the same size as the image (or smaller). On the other hand, Zazzle does advise a minimum ppi for various products, so maybe it does matter to their printing process in some way.

Jerry wrote:
And that is true depending on the software and machinery being used to print the graphic. What I was referring to was based on using Zazzle's recommended image guides, those used to be way more prevalent here, like on every product page, and the OP mentioned the guide files. Based on my experience here since 2007 as a Zazzle designer, not a photographer or print expert, ppi does matter, depending on the size of your image. If you use Zazzle's recommended image sizes then you should use their recommended resolution (or ppi or dpi or whatever you want to call it) as well. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.

of course, as always, I may be and probably am wrong.

Yes, we're of the same mind on this.
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 6:19:32 AM
Felosarix wrote:
I assume that Zazzle has a reason for advising that our images meet a certain minimum resolution for various products; that it matters in some way to their printing process. As a designer I don't really need to know the details of how - I just need to know what works and what doesn't with regard to the images I provide.

EXACTLY!!
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 6:52:47 AM
Felosarix wrote:

It seems to me that ppi shouldn't matter if you're print area is roughly the same size as the image (or smaller). On the other hand, Zazzle does advise a minimum ppi for various products, so maybe it does matter to their printing process in some way.

Pixels that actually get printed per inch = matters.
PPI specification attached to file = doesn't matter, at least at zazzle. The reason I originally started stripping the specification from mine was because I was working with a buggy print program back in the dark ages that would randomly reset itself to the ppi of the file instead of the settings I was using in the print program. Digital images don't really have a "size" in inches except in the context of a specific display or print method and will vary in "size" in different contexts.
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:21:01 AM
yarddawg wrote:
Felosarix wrote:

Pixels that actually get printed per inch = matters.
PPI specification attached to file = doesn't matter, at least at zazzle. The reason I originally started stripping the specification from mine was because I was working with a buggy print program back in the dark ages that would randomly reset itself to the ppi of the file instead of the settings I was using in the print program. Digital images don't really have a "size" in inches except in the context of a specific display or print method and will vary in "size" in different contexts.

The context here is the printing of our designs on Zazzle's products. As far as I'm concerned, that and the error reported by the OP are the things we should focus on, without other distractions.

I simply do not believe that you can take any image, infinitely enlarge it, and still obtain acceptable results.

Zazzle does specify a minimum PPI for various products. So I assume it does matter to them for some reason. Unless they post in here to tell us the info on their site is erroneous, I'm going to go by what the site says.

If Zazzle's site produces a warning that states the image isn't big enough for printing on the product I'm attempting to create, I'm going to believe them.

The image either is "big enough" for what one is trying to accomplish, or it isn't. Increasing the ppi reported by a graphics program isn't the solution, though - so I hope no one mistakes what I've been saying as advocating such - because I'm not. The solution is to use a different image.
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:24:37 AM
I just want to thank everyone for your responses. I am so new to this and am very overwhelmed but I know that Zazzle is a great fit for my husband's artwork and I really appreciate everyone's help Smile
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:24:57 AM
When I reduce the size of an image for my blog, I don't touch the ppi (which is 300 by default). All I do is reduce the dimensions, which involves interpolation leading to dropped pixels. If I were to increase the size of the smaller image back up to that of the original and then compare the two side-by-side, the reinterpreted image would have a distinct loss in resolution. Those pixels seem to be of definite importance.

There seems to be some kind of disconnect in the discussion here, some of us talking about image creation and others about... Well, the truth is I'm not sure.
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:30:16 AM
Jim wrote:
I am trying to set up my first product, a canvas and I am not doing something right. I looked at the guide files but everything is removed. I currently have the image saved at 100ppi but when I use the tool to get it to fill the canvas I get a warning that I have to fix the error. The image itself is approximately 12 inches by 12 inches.

I'm going to say "it depends".

What size canvas were you originally attempting to place the image on?
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 9:24:57 AM
Steve Crompton wrote:

Personally I can't remember having any nasty surprises where the error message is concerned.
EDIT: This is not actually true, I tried once (or twice) to make a binder. There is (or was) something odd about the binders.

Steve.

that's a bleed area thing. it throws a warning if any design is too close to but not beyond the bleed. and when I say "too close" I mean like 2 inches from the edge. basically the binders dictate where we are allowed to place our designs.
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 10:56:47 AM
Felosarix wrote:
Jim wrote:

I was trying to place the image on the 12x12 canvas but ideally I would like to know the sizes I would need to work on most if not all the canvases.
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 11:11:45 AM
Jim wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
Jim wrote:

I was trying to place the image on the 12x12 canvas but ideally I would like to know the sizes I would need to work on most if not all the canvases.

I would say start with the largest size for each aspect ratio. If you make an image to fit the largest size, it will likely scale down just fine to the smaller sizes. But as you've seen, going in the opposite direction, from a smaller image to a larger print area doesn't work so well.

In theory, you'd also only need to post one size for sale per aspect ratio, as the customer can choose the other compatible sizes. For example, the largest square (40 x 40) will fit any of the smaller square sizes. Likewise, a 16 x 20 image would also fit an 8 x 10 canvas. I suggest limiting options by aspect ratio and frame thickness as well, so that the customer can only choose compatible sizes.