Is this too dark for an address label?
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 6:51:44 AM
I've made this return address label, based on an old product - a black bat on purple, transferred it over, and just realized it might be to dark.

Is it?

Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:56:48 AM
In my opinion, yes, it's too dark.
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:57:50 AM
OnTheBlackestNight wrote:
I've made this return address label, based on an old product - a black bat on purple, transferred it over, and just realized it might be to dark.

Is it?

I'm curious how it would look if you changed the text to white, yellow or gold...
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 8:50:03 AM
For readability, black text should be on light colors, and white text should be on dark. Colors like purple, medium-to-dark blue, forest green, and so forth require light-colored text.
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 8:51:08 AM
·▽·

The problem is not that it is dark. The problem is that you don't have enough contrast.

You can either use light text and a dark background or
dark text and a light background.

You can use minimal contrast for elements where there is no readability required and where you want the focus pushed back and the attention on elements with strong contrast.

Think about priorities in your design and lead the viewers eyes with a purpose.

·△·

Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:10:34 AM
OK, thanks Roses
White text looks much better Smile

Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 12:11:10 PM
OnTheBlackestNight wrote:
OK, thanks Roses
White text looks much better Smile

Much better!
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 12:20:31 PM
It looks better with the lighter text. However, the image of the label looks to be very close to the actual size, and the font is very small and hard for me to read.
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 12:43:01 PM
Maz wrote:
It looks better with the lighter text. However, the image of the label looks to be very close to the actual size, and the font is very small and hard for me to read.

Yeah, that's true, and there is room to upsize it a bit to make it more readable.
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 1:52:05 PM
As Shelli and Maz wrote, the text is way too small.
The label is only 2.25" wide, the decorative text 10pt and the normal text tiny 6pt. never readable.

You should go 9pt or min. 8.5 for the normal serif text (or 8 if you switch to a sans-serif font). Set also the line spacing to 0.9 to get it more compact in height. The Blackletter Outline font (name) needs to rise to at least 14pt and even then it's a difficult font to print on dark backgrounds at these sizes, due to the extremely fine outlines. I would suggest a non-outline, more bolder decor font at 14pt.

When designing such small items, never rely on what you see on your previews, because they're way too big in size (applies to necklaces, keychains and similar small items, too). Make a screenshot of the preview, open it in your image editing software, take a ruler and zoom out until the preview is approximately displayed at the real size measured with your ruler. Try this with your design and you'll see by yourself.

And yes, black on dark purple never works for reading purposes.
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 7:20:37 PM
Looks great with the white text, but yes, I would go bigger on the font size.