Hair Tie Official Design Tips & Tricks Thread
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 10:17:19 AM
Hi everyone!

Here is the place for you to share all of your tips and tricks for designing our brand new hair ties.

Get all the details about this product in the new product thread.

To show off your new designs on this product, pop over here.

Happy designing!

Best,
Liz
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:54:48 AM
Assuming the inside is white. . .

Will the outside colors really be as faded out as the image shows?
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:08:24 PM
Beachwalker wrote:
Assuming the inside is white. . .

Will the outside colors really be as faded out as the image shows?

I assumed the inside was white too, but there's a post on the Hair Tie "Show me" thread and it appears that their design carried over to the inside. When I tried making one the inside remains white. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I was wondering the same thing, if the colors are actually that faded out on the real product or is the product view just not accurate. As it appears now, colors appear very different than the actual color used (black looks gray, etc.).
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:49:00 PM
I'm wondering what type of markup to add? For now I put a 30% markup so the item is priced at $3.50 with a $1.00 commission. Does that seem too low?
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 1:10:24 PM
Art Vixen wrote:
I'm wondering what type of markup to add? For now I put a 30% markup so the item is priced at $3.50 with a $1.00 commission. Does that seem too low?

30.8% will get you an extra three cents while keeping the price at $3.50.
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 1:35:24 PM
Thank you, Wollastonite for the tip! Grin
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 3:07:29 PM
Hi!

Yep, what you're seeing in our visualizations is pretty true to how these turn out - the design on the outside will be faintly visible through to the inside and the colors are a bit more subdued on this white, stretchy fabric.

Here is a quick picture to give you an idea of how they look in person (pretty cute!):

Hope that helps!

Best,
Liz
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 3:17:38 PM
Cool, thanks for the photo!
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 3:30:56 PM
Thanks Liz! That is helpful. They are cute!
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 6:49:32 PM
This is such a cute product! I can't wait to make a gazillion of them :-)

However, I understand that the colors will look a little more subdued on the white fabric. But the designs I've been making so far look a lot subdued, not a little. Meaning, the colors look really faded, as if the ties have been washed numerous times. And I don't think that's Zazzle's intention. When I check out the designs on the 6D hairties website the colors look bright and crisp. Is it possible to make the ones on the product selling page just as good? We will already be charging more for the Zazzle hair ties than the company who makes them, so in my opinion we should definitely make ours look at least just as good. It would also be great if there could be two more images added to the product page. Namely one of a girl wearing a hairtie in her hair, and one with a hairtie worn as a bracelet. It would give the potentional customer more of an idea how it would look like in reality.
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:24:15 AM
I'm trying to envision how these are actually used. Once wrapped around a ponytail, you wouldn't see the actual design, would you?
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:07:06 AM
I wonder if these could be used as headbands too since they have elastic?

Edit: I just went to 6D hair tie site. They look too small although they do sell headbands.
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:00:41 PM
At 10.88 inches long, these are definitely too small for most heads. Average hat sizes are for 18-23 inches. You would also loose length for the knot itself.
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:28:30 PM
I wish they were headbands. I have a pixie cut and don't have enough hair to put into a ponytail, but I'd love to wear some headbands. Please Zazzle get headbands!
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:34:05 PM
Invites By Dani wrote:
I wish they were headbands. I have a pixie cut and don't have enough hair to put into a ponytail, but I'd love to wear some headbands. Please Zazzle get headbands!

If you really really want to make some for yourself as headbands, you could design the pattern so you could sew them together. Instead of sewing two of them together end to end, I would suggest splitting one so the seams would be at the sides or sew three together and get rid of the excess.
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:52:17 PM
Liz wrote:
Hi!

Yep, what you're seeing in our visualizations is pretty true to how these turn out - the design on the outside will be faintly visible through to the inside and the colors are a bit more subdued on this white, stretchy fabric.

Thanks, Liz, that does help a lot.
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:18:37 PM
Wouldn't these generate more sales if we had a view with them in someone's hair? I'm thinking like the Minx nails have a view of them on a hand holding a coffee mug sort of thing...Just a suggestion and probably in the wrong place
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:07:15 AM
MugJug wrote:

However, I understand that the colors will look a little more subdued on the white fabric. But the designs I've been making so far look a lot subdued, not a little. Meaning, the colors look really faded, as if the ties have been washed numerous times. And I don't think that's Zazzle's intention. When I check out the designs on the 6D hairties website the colors look bright and crisp. Is it possible to make the ones on the product selling page just as good? We will already be charging more for the Zazzle hair ties than the company who makes them, so in my opinion we should definitely make ours look at least just as good. It would also be great if there could be two more images added to the product page. Namely one of a girl wearing a hairtie in her hair, and one with a hairtie worn as a bracelet. It would give the potentional customer more of an idea how it would look like in reality.

I agree, they are almost like they have a layer of milk on top of them or something. The ones in the admin photo look okay, but I bet the images used look a 10 times darker than they do on this product. I've only found a few images that even look half way decent on this product. It's not going to be one I do much with.

Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:12:47 AM
MugJug wrote:

Did you notice on their make your own page, all the hair ties shown are mostly just text with a company logo. No patterned background. Just the text on the white background.

Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:05:22 AM
I ordered one that I created. These are very very teensy and are made to go around a ponytail, not one's head. (I agree a product view with one in a model's hair would be great, because I thought they were much bigger.) Also, they're too snug for my 6.5" wrist, which I think is an average size for an adult female.

Hope this helps!
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 7:24:59 PM
Can anyone point out a photo of a model wearing a hair tie?

HNY to all!

Marian
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:47:15 AM
You'd really need to pick and choose what designs to put on these as they seem very very light and washed out when printed due to the nature of the material.
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 7:29:05 AM
Hi everyone,

A quick update on this product line!

We've updated this product page to reflect that these hair ties are Recommended for ages 13+. As these hair ties have not been fully tested for suitability for children, we ask that our Designers please avoid utilizing any designs aimed at children for these hair ties in order to comply with this recommendation.

Thank you!
Liz
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 7:56:03 AM
I quit making the hair ties a long time ago. I ordered one myself and was unimpressed with the quality of the product for its price point. It is just a piece of elastic with a knot in it. I should think any child over the age of 3 would know enough not to choke on it so I'm not really sure why the 13+ notice is necessary. I'm glad I didn't bother with them now.