Guestbook Official Tips & Tricks Thread 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:03:15 PM
Hi everyone!

Here is the place for you to share all of your tips and tricks for designing our brand new Guest book.

Get all the details about this product in the new product thread.

To show off your new designs on this product, pop over here.

Happy designing!

Best,
Christine
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:01:49 AM
This isn't a criticism but is, instead, a question: Do all guest books these days have "From" and "Message" columns? I'm asking because I've never seen anything quite so specific as a message column, but my experiences are proof of nothing.

EDIT: I did an online search for the various kinds of guest books but found nothing with a "message" column.

It's a bit perplexing to insist that guests write a message. Of course, they aren't forced to do it, but they might feel pushed into it.

Once again, I'm probably showing my old-school tendencies. Smile
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:38:38 AM
I've noticed when you add an image or text to the front or back (not background) - the thumbnails down the left hand side don't show them.. can someone verify?
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:54:48 AM
Sarah Jayne wrote:
I've noticed when you add an image or text to the front or back (not background) - the thumbnails down the left hand side don't show them.. can someone verify?

I have just come here to say the exact same thing!
I have made two books and both are not showing the correct thumbnails on the left, but if you click on each thumbnail, the larger picture shows as correct.
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 1:26:35 PM
🌞 Skip wrote:
There is a problem with adding a background color. If you place an image on the item and then choose the background color, it ruins the image.

The image on the front is gold until you choose a background color.

Skip, I was having the same problem and finally figured out how to get around this. If you leave the front and back blank and do all your design work on the background, your images and text should look fine. It's tricky aligning your images for front and back using the background, but it does seem to work.
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 1:36:17 PM
Quote:
Columns read “From” and “Message”

I looked closely, and first inside column appears to be "Names". z - Please check and verify...

- marcia s.
SocolikCardShop
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:46:01 AM
marcia s. wrote:
Quote:
Columns read “From” and “Message”

I looked closely, and first inside column appears to be "Names". z - Please check and verify...

- marcia s.
SocolikCardShop

You're right. I just took a second look, and once I knew it was supposed to say "Names," I could see it. I also saw why I thought it was something else. The "N" is so fancy that it looks like some other letter. The bigger problem is that the enlarged view is far too tiny. I wish Zazzle had kept the magnifying glass that a person could use to see truly enlarged sections of an image.
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:38:53 AM
Will the background issue be fixed? I'm a little nervous now, the first few guestbooks I created I wasn't aware of the issue. I've sold a guestbook already and now I'm worried there will be a blank spot on the binding of the book.
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:39:26 AM
Suggestion: Make some matching pens for some occasions.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:11:27 AM
- How thick is the binding?

- Can we get lines showing us where the binding is on the BACKGROUND view?

- Can we get elements on the BACKGROUND view to appear when we're looking at FRONT or BACK in DESIGN view?

- Would like to see blank pages option.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:24:38 AM
Hi All,

Working on the background fix! Will keep you guys posted.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:49:56 AM
I would also like to see a "blank pages" option - perhaps just lined pages or completely blank.

Re: what the columns read: I see they read 'Names' and 'Message' (In a hard-to-read font, unfortunately) -
but the "About This Product" paragraph tells the customer that it reads 'From' and "Message'. Just FYI, this needs fixed.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:51:19 PM
Forwarding all the suggestions and feedback over!

Starving Artist wrote:
Re: what the columns read: I see they read 'Names' and 'Message' (In a hard-to-read font, unfortunately) -
but the "About This Product" paragraph tells the customer that it reads 'From' and "Message'. Just FYI, this needs fixed.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. We will get that fixed
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:14:36 AM
Starving Artist wrote:
"About This Product" paragraph tells the customer that it reads 'From' and "Message'. Just FYI, this needs fixed.

Aha! That must be where I picked up on the notion that it said "from" as opposed to "name."
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:31:19 PM
colorwash wrote:
Starving Artist wrote:
"About This Product" paragraph tells the customer that it reads 'From' and "Message'. Just FYI, this needs fixed.

Aha! That must be where I picked up on the notion that it said "from" as opposed to "name."

That should be updated nowSmile
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:53:31 AM
Further to the issues with Front/Back/Spine vs. Background:

- If I choose a Background Color on the Background Design Panel and then add Text to the Spine, the Text doesn't appear in Preview.

- If I also add a Background Color to the Spine, that same text appears in Preview.

It may seem like adding a Background Color to the Spine is a good work around, but I don't want the customer who wants to choose a different color to have to select Background colors for each panel. I would like them to choose one - a Background Color on the Background panel. That does seem like it would be the purpose for the Background panel?

I'm in LV Chrome and the new interface for the moment, if that matters.
Posted: Friday, March 3, 2017 1:02:11 PM
It looks like there have some changes to the display Guest Books, and I'm wondering if the issues are considered resolved.

The reason I ask is that the spines on some which weren't displaying text are displaying it now, but there's a white overlay. So, for example, if someone made the BACKGROUND black and didn't also make the SPINE black, there's a white layer between the BACKGROUND and the SPINE (so, yeah, the text shows up, but not on a black background). I looked through the MP, and I see some Designers apparently made the right choices or have recreated there's. Here's one which shows what I'm referring to (no text on the spine, but you'll see what I mean):

https://www.zazzle.com/special_keepsake_create_your_own_template_guest_book-256263656921390496

I'm also seeing some choppiness of what I'm guessing should be straight lines in some views (spine and front views):

https://www.zazzle.com/photo_collage_monogram_wedding_guest_book-256251766334421805

I don't want to remake them, if I don't have to. So can we get confirmation that the layering of background to spine/cover/back is as now as Zazzle intends or that it's still being worked on?
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:03:48 PM
Hi Designers! Thank you for all your hard work at making guest books. Since this first launched, we have seen an increase in sales. With wedding season coming up, we'd love to see more designs on this product!

The ideal designs are monograms, easy-to-use templates, a trendy design with quality stock photography and diverse subject matter, great typography and a stunning use of color.

We can't wait to see what more you guys can come up with!
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:13:53 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I'm also seeing some choppiness of what I'm guessing should be straight lines in some views (spine and front views):

https://www.zazzle.com/photo_collage_monogram_wedding_guest_book-256251766334421805

That's a very typical digital anomaly I've seen even in Photoshop, though not as bad as in the product you linked to. I wonder if it could be mitigated at least somewhat.

Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:32:40 AM
No matter what, I have to work exclusively on the background--images and text--or exclusively on the front, back, and spine. I can't, for instance, place a background image that spans the entire length from front to back and then try to overlay a small image plus text on the front. The image and text end up unaccountably on white that obliterates the background image.
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 3:59:20 AM
Is there any movement on the problem of adding text or a png on front or back and having it turned into a flattened image on white? It begs the question: Why is there a background to design if adding a layer on top whites it out? Or instead, why have a front, back, and spine when dividing up the background using guidelines might serve well enough, albeit being way too small?

We designers may be able to find workarounds, but I defy any customer coming here to design their own guest book to figure it out.
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 6:36:19 AM
Not making any more until the bugs are worked out.
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 7:34:41 AM
I've been designing everything exclusively on the background layer because there's no alternative when there's an image on the background, which I consistently have.
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:26:17 AM
These are great! I am so behind the times! Just discovered these!
I have been trying to create a guest book to accompany my popular (only) selling wedding invite/save the date designs. However, I am super confused about what the background Is. I assumed it was going to be the inside pages, but I see when I add an image for that (for a light texture pattern) it isn't. Where in heck does Background refer to? Where does that print?
Thanks!
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:32:12 AM
The background is, or is supposed to be, equivalent to, let's say, a design or pattern or photo that you might see on the cover of a hardback book. It wraps around from the front to the back.

In a world where things are working properly, and just as with that hardback book, you could overlay a title on the front and lots of hype for the book on the back.

But things aren't currently working properly. If you place a background image, perhaps a lovely plaid, and then you click on the "front" and add text, the entire front goes instantly white and blocks out your lovely plaid. In other words, it's broken.

Thus, either design exclusively on front, back, and spine, or instead, work only on the background. I find working on just the background a lot easier.
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:48:54 AM
Hi Colorwash: I just clued in lol! I recall this from the little gift boxes now, too. Ok, so, I don't need background because I have a different image file for front than back, so I have to do all 3 separately.
Thanks!!!!!
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:56:16 AM
Ta-dah! Idea
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 10:54:45 AM
haha! Colorwash!

Super cool product, that can definitely be used for more than weddings for sure! Any event, an art show, etc.
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:57:12 AM
I'm trying to make sense of the stated dimensions:

Dimensions: 8"l x 11"w

What is considered the length and what is considered the width?

Are they measurements of the book opened or closed? It appears the length is actually the width, but is it the width of just, say, the front cover? I'm figuring it probably is, but it's nevertheless a bit vague when a horizontal dimension is more commonly called "width." For instance, 8-1/2 by 11 inch paper has a width of 8-1/2 inches. Its height is 11 inches.

The way dimensions are written here on Zazzle always end up puzzling me, particularly when I'm creating my own template.
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 4:02:44 AM
In description of the product, it says, "Guest book pages are not lay flat." A bit flawed.