Greeting Cards Foil Official Tips and Tricks Thread 4 pages: [1] 2 3 4
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 3:18:21 PM
Hi everyone!

Here is the place for you to share all of your tips and tricks for designing our brand new greeting cards with foil:

Standard (5” x 7”): https://www.zazzle.com/foil_card-256922026417366313
Small (4.25” x 5.5”): https://www.zazzle.com/small_foil_card-256340506176978635
Mini (3.5” x 5”): https://www.zazzle.com/mini_foil_card-256905295075962515

Get all the details about this product in the new product thread.

To show off your new designs on this product, pop over here.

Happy designing!

Best,
Christine
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 4:16:08 PM
Looking forward to reading all the tips and tricks that will be posted.

I for one can't figure out how to get a background color on the outside, nor how to get an image layer without it having to be in gold. For instance I tried to create a card with in gold Happy Holidays (got that far) on top of a winter landscape photo. But the photo also converts to gold?

And for the life of me, I can't seem to see or find the Zazzle/Designer attribution?
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 4:21:23 PM
Hi @ArtAttic,

The outside of the card will only print foil, so you will not be able to get a background color.

The Zazzle/designer attribution will show up on the back after it's published.

Hope this helps!
Monica
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 5:23:14 PM
Monica wrote:
Hi @ArtAttic,

The outside of the card will only print foil, so you will not be able to get a background color.

The Zazzle/designer attribution will show up on the back after it's published.

Hope this helps!
Monica

Hi there Monica,

Yes I figured that out now too, about not having a background color on the outside. And I did see the attribution on the back of the card after I created it. But it's really REALLY small, right? In the lower left corner if I'm correct? And of course it makes sense it's after having it put for sale since it's gonna have the Designer name on there as well.

Thanks for your response, have a great weekend Smile
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 6:26:03 PM
I have a question... how did this designer get the background color on the front of this card?

https://www.zazzle.com/broken_polka_dots_card_silver_foil_print-256060969375554587?social=true&view=113095451383928299

never mind... I see that it was the paper choice that did it now that I look closer at the product page.
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 7:34:33 PM
How does the printing work on the inside? The previews don't dull the colour when the non-white card types are chosen and white in the design shows as white. Is this how they'll print?
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 3:24:29 AM
Love the little preview movie!

Have a suggestion, a little less glare on the front view of the card. Becomes hard to see if the design is a line art.

Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:17:13 AM
Are we seeing the true color on the final product? It seems too light and too yellow. Perhaps this is a consequence of adding too strong a reflection, but it's hard to say.

Maybe a "chat" concerning this new type of printing would be a boon for designers.

Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:38:30 AM
Would be nice to have a lock down for "this size only" and "this orientation only"

I notice with one of mine - if you start your design on the 5 x 7 post for sale and then go down a size to see how it looks - the artwork doesn't seem to scale correctly and ends up being way too off.

But if you design on the mini and scale up - that seems to be ok
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 5:59:18 AM
Chibibi wrote:
Love the little preview movie!

Have a suggestion, a little less glare on the front view of the card. Becomes hard to see if the design is a line art.

+1
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:41:27 AM
I'm a little disappointed that we can't combine foil with non-foil. For example a card with gold hearts and a colorful bouquet or other design. But I am still happy that we finally have foil. Please figure out how we can do the same with stickers. Smile
Should we put in the tags that these cards are metallic?
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:00:13 AM
randysgrandma wrote:
I'm a little disappointed that we can't combine foil with non-foil. For example a card with gold hearts and a colorful bouquet or other design. But I am still happy that we finally have foil. Please figure out how we can do the same with stickers. Smile
Should we put in the tags that these cards are metallic?

I made two last night where the inner text is as close a match of gold as I could manage and add a note to the description that the inner text is not foil.

The Maker description already says the foil is metallic so you don't need to but I guess it won't hurt if you want to.
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 8:52:35 AM
So excited by this!
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:19:20 AM
edgeplus wrote:
So excited by this!

And your avatar proves it. Laughing
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:17:38 AM
edgeplus wrote:
So excited by this!

your pic makes me smile! Grin
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:53:51 AM
Colorwash wrote:
edgeplus wrote:
So excited by this!

And your avatar proves it. Laughing

lol Was thinking to post the exact same, till I noticed you already made that comment 0:
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:53:04 PM
I like them, though I noticed when you use colors for backgrounds inside the cards there is a white line in the middle. You can see what I mean on this card. I fear the customer will think that is how the card will print. If this is not how the card will look after printing could we get a better image for the situs?

Don't like how the customer can remove our name. Stick out tongue
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 8:35:27 PM
hello,

i have a few questions regarding this new foil card:

1. i notice that we can actually choose a WHITE background and use WHITE color text for any of the grey or kraft paper for inside printing (it shows up in the preview). does this mean what white ink color is possible for CMYK printing on the inside of these cards?

2. i am able to make a full bleed design for the back of these cards and the preview shows a full bleed as well but in your product info on the listing page, it says this: 'Printable area on the back of the card is 3" x 4" (portrait) or 4" x 3" (landscape)' for an A2 card, may i know which is correct?

3. the preview of the design for some image / video seems to be a little off centred. my design shows a centred aligned placement in the custom mode view but in the preview, there is a slight shift to the right. Should i design following the guidelines on the custom mode? is that how it will print even though that design might not show correctly on the preview page?

thanks!
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:34:59 AM
Trying to design the cards, I found it difficult to see the designs no matter if I placed them on the white or either of the two colors. I suspect customers will be seeing the same thing: a spotty, not very clear design image. Perhaps the photos need to be redone.
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:16:01 AM
I'm finding it very difficult to see the designs, too. Even if I set the printing/contrast to the darkest possible settings (at which point I'm starting to lose the detail of my design), it's still difficult to see. The right side of my image looks a lot lighter than the left, especially with the gold (yellow?) printing--the silver seems to be a little easier to see than the gold, but not by much.
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:10:21 AM
I'll have to agree with the others. That glare makes it very difficult to judge which filter will look the best and the head on view is too small to see if details look OK or not. Lose a bit of the highlighting please! This is the only one I've made so far because of the issues I'm having with seeing past the glare. I hope it looks all right.
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:34:59 AM
I find previewing the videos gives the clearest impression of what the design looks like.
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:37:42 AM
HightonRidley wrote:
I find previewing the videos gives the clearest impression of what the design looks like.

Unfortunately, the videos aren't the first thing customers will see. Sad
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:10:26 AM
Colorwash wrote:
HightonRidley wrote:

But the videos are top billing on the left. I think customers will use them. Smile
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 7:59:35 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
HightonRidley wrote:

But the videos are top billing on the left. I think customers will use them. Smile

I was thinking about Zazzle's home page and people searching through the marketplace. Will they click on a card that seems all but bare naked?
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:15:32 AM
Why is the customer being given the option to wipe out the credit on the back of the card for Zazzle and designer? It's a standard thing on all greeting cards, so I find it surprising. Is it anticipated that the cards will be used for a purpose other than a greeting or note card?
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:43:46 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Why is the customer being given the option to wipe out the credit on the back of the card for Zazzle and designer? It's a standard thing on all greeting cards, so I find it surprising. Is it anticipated that the cards will be used for a purpose other than a greeting or note card?

I don't like it either, but I can see why the option is there because of the customization. If a shopper changes pretty much everything about the design then they would want to remove your name, and since we can't see what they do with our customizable designs maybe it is a good thing. Not sure I want my name on it. I wish there was an option that if the original base image is kept by the buyer the designer attribution should stay too but if they remove our image and replace it with another then attribution is removed automatically. Probably a technical nightmare to pull off though...
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:56:19 AM
That might be a good point if it weren't for the fact that we can lock our "signature" on the other cards and pretty much everywhere else.
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 12:14:40 PM
Colorwash wrote:
That might be a good point if it weren't for the fact that we can lock our "signature" on the other cards and pretty much everywhere else.

that is true... so nevermind what I just said...
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:05:15 PM
Polenth wrote:
How does the printing work on the inside? The previews don't dull the colour when the non-white card types are chosen and white in the design shows as white. Is this how they'll print?

Since I asked this, I found the answer. In "compare papers" it says it's printed with a white underlay on the grey and brown cards. I assume this means it does lay down white before printing over it, much like dark t-shirts.