Glass Tumbler & Shot Glasses Official Tips and Tricks Thread 3 pages: [1] 2 3
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 4:24:45 PM
Hi everyone!

Here is the place for you to share all of your tips and tricks for designing our brand new Glass Tumbler & Shot Glasses

Glass Tumbler




Shot Glasses





Get all the details about these products in the new product thread.

To show off your new designs on this product, pop over here.

Happy designing!

Best,
Kevin
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 4:37:58 PM
No tip or trick (at least not yet). Just wanted to say that I saw these last night and I love them!! Thanks Z!
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 4:49:04 PM
These are both so great! wOoT
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 8:52:03 PM
Am I correct that the shot glasses have only a printable front side, no back side?

And thanks for the autowarping - very cool!
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 10:48:29 PM
What a joy to come back after a longer time of absence and to discover such a nice surprise! They look great and are a great addition to tableware. And the best of all: white seems to be printed on, that is AWESOME!!!! Not tested with transparent PNGs or vectors yet, but if this is true and it's not a preview error, I suppose, the designs get a white under-layer, such as dark apparel, so transparent design areas will be transparent and whites will be printed. Mods, can you confirm, I'm right, please? Thanks! Roses
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 1:04:32 AM
...
Could we have the warped raster as downloadable SVG? The selfmade raster for my papercup is always a few pixel off, and It would be just nice to have a proper raster as a base. Thank you. Love

I tried to create a raster based on the PNG in the News forum and it is a few pixel off ... see:



The blending is done with theh mathematical precision of the software algorithm in CorelDraw bit the center line seems to be off center ... stuff like that. So a template would be most helpful.

If the base is off, it only gets worse when placing it on the product in the zazzle tool.
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 9:05:16 AM
Shouldn't there be a department in Party Supplies for those glasses that clearly are designed for events? Like Christmas. Now, we only can place them in Home - Kitchen - Barware or in Wedding - Party. Would be nice if there was a department within Party Supplies because I suppose there would be many glasses designed specifically for holidays of all kinds.
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 9:10:32 AM
Here sits a Pollyanna. I have tumblers in a kitchen cabinet and never thought of them as being exclusively for booze. :-)
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 2:14:31 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Here sits a Pollyanna. I have tumblers in a kitchen cabinet and never thought of them as being exclusively for booze. :-)


Colorwash, ikr? The tall ones could be water/iced tea/lemonade/milk glasses, the short ones are juice glasses... Idea

AND looking at the description on the sale page, it looks like this is my opportunity to request some editing to the description to take into account that there are shoppers who won't buy tumblers sold for alcoholic purposes but will buy tumblers sold for multipurpose use that includes non-alcoholic consumption.

Alternatively, would it be possible to come up with tumbler options that can be marketed to those who don't drink alcohol or do prefer to have glasses in the house for other uses than alcohol? I would love to design some tumblers, but the bar scene is really not my customer base...
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 8:04:28 PM
If I put my whole design on the auto warping layer, will the item turn out as shown in the picture? I ask cause I'm a bit confused. Also, when I look at the side views, it doesn't look right.
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 8:43:24 PM
Ms Contrary wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Here sits a Pollyanna. I have tumblers in a kitchen cabinet and never thought of them as being exclusively for booze. :-)


Colorwash, ikr? The tall ones could be water/iced tea/lemonade/milk glasses, the short ones are juice glasses... Idea

AND looking at the description on the sale page, it looks like this is my opportunity to request some editing to the description to take into account that there are shoppers who won't buy tumblers sold for alcoholic purposes but will buy tumblers sold for multipurpose use that includes non-alcoholic consumption.

Alternatively, would it be possible to come up with tumbler options that can be marketed to those who don't drink alcohol or do prefer to have glasses in the house for other uses than alcohol? I would love to design some tumblers, but the bar scene is really not my customer base...


+1

I was thinking it might be nice to have some glasses that are straight up and down rather than tapered, as well. Maybe a couple different sizes.
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 8:49:20 PM
Ms Contrary wrote:
[quote=Colorwash]... but the bar scene is really not my customer base...


Mine either but I am designing for the designated drivers...
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 10:06:33 PM
how to mock up my design on to this new product (glass tumbler)? I can't find this product in quick create menu.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 2:22:40 AM
Ms Contrary wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Here sits a Pollyanna. I have tumblers in a kitchen cabinet and never thought of them as being exclusively for booze. :-)


Colorwash, ikr? The tall ones could be water/iced tea/lemonade/milk glasses, the short ones are juice glasses... Idea

AND looking at the description on the sale page, it looks like this is my opportunity to request some editing to the description to take into account that there are shoppers who won't buy tumblers sold for alcoholic purposes but will buy tumblers sold for multipurpose use that includes non-alcoholic consumption.

Alternatively, would it be possible to come up with tumbler options that can be marketed to those who don't drink alcohol or do prefer to have glasses in the house for other uses than alcohol? I would love to design some tumblers, but the bar scene is really not my customer base...


I must be brought up by aliens, but this shape of glasses where neither exclusively for alcohol or non alcohol beverages neither in Germany nor in the UK. And when I spent a year with a family in the UK adults still subscribed to Gin tonic after work before supper and had wine for supper. At her 40th party my host family didn't put non alcohol beverages on the shopping list. It was my suggestion that included non alcoholic beverages as a standard for future parties and a new attitude that no longer assumed that grown ups prefer alcohol at parties. Different times ...

Happy


Neither then nor today would any shopper known to me give an iota to what the description suggests what these glasses are for. They may read up on table etiquette or abide by the rules taught to them by their up bringing.

As far as I know these days the shape of glasses are less demanding to what you may or may not use them for and the average customers shop glasses because they like the shape in general or the print on it.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 5:36:23 AM
Whenever you go to a bar or a restaurant or a club or a pier etc., at least here on the east coast, and end up with a commemorative pint glass or shot glass, this is generally what they look like.

You can drink buttermilk from a shoe or iced tea from a jar if need be. I often drink Hawaiian Punch from a wine glass just to feel fancy. However, just as wine glasses are typically made for wine, pint glasses are typically made for beer, shot glasses are made for liquor. And they have both become popular souvenirs and collectibles when designated as such. These are perfect products for party suppliers.

You don't need to be into any scene to design for these, not everybody imbibes but a lot of people collect. I have already sold a bunch of shot glasses. I'm sure the customer will figure out that they can pour any liquid that they wish into them or even simply put them on a shelf or in a curio. My mother owned a lot of shot glasses from various places she had visited and I never saw her do a shot of tequila, or anything else, out of any of them.

I wish they also offered wine glasses, hurricane glasses, gravity glasses and rocks glasses for us to design. But I'll take these two for now.

It would also be nice to have a filled display for the shot glasses, something dark like jagermeister or a dark rum, to help lighter designs pop out.

Also, the empty back design area display for pint glasses needs to be tweaked.

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 5:56:00 AM
Hironimus Ronny wrote:
how to mock up my design on to this new product (glass tumbler)? I can't find this product in quick create menu.



Zazzle is no longer adding things to QuickCreate. They want people to make their own templates.



In the ZazzleBlanks/Create Your Own menu it is Home>Kitchen and Dining>Barware for the shot glasses

>tumblers and glasses for the beer glasses
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:04:18 AM
I love shot glasses. I have many. never use them. They are on my mantle.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 6:10:46 AM
Jerry Lambert wrote:


You don't need to be into any scene to design for these, not everybody imbibes but a lot of people collect. I have already sold a bunch of shot glasses. I'm sure the customer will figure out that they can pour any liquid that they wish into them or even simply put them on a shelf or in a curio. My mother owned a lot of shot glasses from various places she had visited and I never saw her do a shot of tequila, or anything else, out of any of them.



I just sold 2 this morning! This is the first time I have ever sold a product within days of it being introduced. Clearly this was a great product to offer and it may really take off.



I have a number of souvenir shot glasses and beer glasses as well and they really are just that- souvenirs. It may be that the medium displays the design so well that it doesn't matter if they get used or not. They work just fine as display items.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 8:13:46 AM
Yes, the shot glasses can be a huge collector's item. My dau-in-law has 2 glass wall cases just to display them. Granted, folks like to get them from places they've visited, but I think those who collect just like collecting them in general.

I've already sold 3 (2 from one design).

The pint glasses are what everyone in my family prefer to drink from, whether it be beer, cola, ice tea, or water. Actually, it would be nice to offer a set of 6, but I guess that would be pretty pricey.

I hope these catch fire with our customers! Good addition, IMO.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 8:17:08 AM
Zazzle, tech question:

How's the white printed on the glasses? As a regular color or as a separate bottom layer covering the whole design shape such as on dark apparel? Is partial alpha channel transparency on PNGs supported (as on regular prints) or not (as on dark apparel)?
Thanks for a quick reply! Roses

ETA: How well does the auto warping work on bitmaps in terms of resampling quality? Vectors and text are a no-brainer, but raster images will probably be resampled, I guess. Can we expect that a crispy 300 dpi image will look as crispy after the auto-warping, or do you recommend to warp images on our own in our image editing software for best results? Sorry for being such a picky annoying guy Grin
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 9:41:22 AM
Wow, I just made one, and I love them! Thanks Zazzle. Grin
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 9:54:24 AM
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Collins glass, for a tall mixed drink
Highball glass, for mixed drinks
Iced tea glass
Juice glass
Table-glass or stakan granyonyi
Water glass


I looked it up because, when I was a kid, the kitchen cabinet always had a collection of tumblers for milk and iced tea. They were inevitably purchased as sets of 6, the brand being Libby, and were sold in the stores' kitchen sections. Yes, there was a small bar in the house that had prettier tumblers and that were used for highballs, but that was never their sole use.

The above memory along with my own kitchen cabinet is what made me question the restriction of these tumblers to alcohol, and now checking online bears out the legitimacy of my memory.

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 11:20:30 AM
Colorwash wrote:
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Collins glass, for a tall mixed drink
Highball glass, for mixed drinks
Iced tea glass
Juice glass
Table-glass or stakan granyonyi
Water glass


I looked it up because, when I was a kid, the kitchen cabinet always had a collection of tumblers for milk and iced tea. They were inevitably purchased as sets of 6, the brand being Libby, and were sold in the stores' kitchen sections. Yes, there was a small bar in the house that had prettier tumblers and that were used for highballs, but that was never their sole use.

The above memory along with my own kitchen cabinet is what made me question the restriction of these tumblers to alcohol, and now checking online bears out the legitimacy of my memory.



We had these type of glasses for juice and milk, too, in the cabinet, many with cartoon prints from empty mustard glasses which where marketed to families with small kids.

But only because zazzle focuses on acoholic beverages doesn't mean, that customers won't buy the glasses for other purposes.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:00:23 PM
vivendulies wrote:
But only because zazzle focuses on acoholic beverages doesn't mean, that customers won't buy the glasses for other purposes.

I'm sure that's true, but it might be even better if the glasses weren't exclusively in the bar category.

Maybe my mindset is different because my bar-hopping days were done many, many decades ago and because I think alcohol tastes atrocious. Grin
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:52:45 PM
Colorwash wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
But only because zazzle focuses on acoholic beverages doesn't mean, that customers won't buy the glasses for other purposes.

I'm sure that's true, but it might be even better if the glasses weren't exclusively in the bar category.

Maybe my mindset is different because my bar-hopping days were done many, many decades ago and because I think alcohol tastes atrocious. Grin

IMO mugs, glasses, plates, pots, coasters a.s.o. would all belong to a tableware / tabletop / dishware department/category, regardless of their main usage. I'm working on my own website category structure right now, and the glasses will be in the same parent category as mugs and plates and other, well, tableware.

ETA ... and Zippos are accessory, nothing to do with bars.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:56:11 PM
Colorwash wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
But only because zazzle focuses on acoholic beverages doesn't mean, that customers won't buy the glasses for other purposes.

I'm sure that's true, but it might be even better if the glasses weren't exclusively in the bar category.

Maybe my mindset is different because my bar-hopping days were done many, many decades ago and because I think alcohol tastes atrocious. Grin



Only the shot glasses are in the bar category. The full size glasses are in the drinkware category.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:57:50 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
But only because zazzle focuses on acoholic beverages doesn't mean, that customers won't buy the glasses for other purposes.

I'm sure that's true, but it might be even better if the glasses weren't exclusively in the bar category.

Maybe my mindset is different because my bar-hopping days were done many, many decades ago and because I think alcohol tastes atrocious. Grin



Only the shot glasses are in the bar category. The full size glasses are in the drinkware category.

I was about to say I just now happily discovered this. I shall now cease and desist.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 1:29:49 PM
Just a note that I think most people get but one person said something that made me think that someone should point this out. The shorter glasses are only 1 1/2 ounces. For most beverages, you want 6 to 8 ounce glasses.
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 1:33:06 PM
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
Just a note that I think most people get but one person said something that made me think that someone should point this out. The shorter glasses are only 1 1/2 ounces. For most beverages, you want 6 to 8 ounce glasses.




Six to eight ounces is just too much whiskey for anyone Laughing (they are shot glasses).
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 8:01:50 PM
I'm not sure how to handle circles at the moment. They look a bit distorted in both views. It'd be really useful if we could see examples of the same circle done both ways on the real thing, maybe in a Zazzle chat?

I'm also assuming there's a white underlay on this, so will avoid designs that might end up with a white edge. If that's not the case though, that'd be useful to know.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded