erase background from picture without losing details? 2 pages: [1] 2
Sandee
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 11:23:15 AM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2017
Posts: 5
My question how do I take a piece of my work and place it on t shirt without the background. Example, a picture of a dog and I want just the face but dog has colorful background. There must be a way to erase the background and still have the wispy fur on the dog showing??? I'm at a lose. I tried the Paint site to erase but it looked terrible and shaky. ugh! Thanks.
BKMuir
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 11:43:25 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 5/19/2010
Posts: 12,209
Location: Vallejo
I use PhotoShop.
There you can use a tool (Magic eraser)to remove backgrounds. It takes some fine tuning to do so and leave "wispy hairs" though.

I believe GIMP might also allow this (free tool as far as I know)
Sandee
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 1:25:00 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2017
Posts: 5
thank you BKMuir. I thought there might be an easier way. I am amazed at how people are able to remove background and have just the subject matter. Ill give it another shot.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 1:25:15 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
If you can change your background to all white you can use the Z design tool to change the whites to transparent...otherwise I use Gimp and zoom in really close then use the scissors tool and cut it out very slowly and carefully, then cut and paste it into a new all white background, then in layers I use the color to transparency tool. Photoshop probably works much the same...Gimp is free. for your wispy hair to show the 2nd method would probably be best because it removes all white and will leave the dog translucent. I don't know because I haven't seen your dog image but it should work.
colorwash
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 1:58:16 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 10,279
Location: East Greenbush
In the end and as far as I know, to get a really fine cutout, you have to buy software that does it. The really good ones aren't cheap.
Sandee
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:02:41 PM
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/30/2017
Posts: 5
I will give gimp a try. sounds sort of deep, not really computer savvy. I know it will take a good deal of time to make it worth the effort for a good product. Once again I have to thank you all.
Barn_Door_Designs
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:03:53 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 2/1/2017
Posts: 4
Location: Scituate
If you go to my store you will see my work and what I mean, T shirts all have that block. No dogs, just an example...lol.
Barn_Door_Designs
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:04:56 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 2/1/2017
Posts: 4
Location: Scituate
Sandee and Barn_Door_Designs are one and the same' lol..So green didn't realize I was posting as non member.


Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:24:50 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
Sandee wrote:
I will give gimp a try. sounds sort of deep, not really computer savvy. I know it will take a good deal of time to make it worth the effort for a good product. Once again I have to thank you all.

yw and if you get confused in Gimp they have pretty decent online help files... btw the scissor tool in Gimp looks like a rope. It is third from the top on the toolbar and they call it a "free select tool".

edit: if all else fails I have seen some people use an opaque smudge or blur tool to soften the edges of the block and I myself have just used the round cut out tool to make an oval or circle instead of square edges. your horses shirt looks ok the way the color of the shirt fades into the top of the block.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:45:45 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
Shocked omgosh! I just saw the actual scissors tool in Gimp and I don't know why I never even tried it... so Sandee you might try that too to see how it works for what you want to do. I am going to play with it later to see if it works better than the way I have been doing it
Happy

I just tried a quick cut out with the Gimp scissor and I like! It finds the edges for you, I did not even have to zoom in, or go slow. Wish I had noticed it sooner!
UROCKDezineZone
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 5:34:46 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 5/22/2011
Posts: 1,828
Location: Concord
Once you have your selection you may find you get a more natural (less harsh edged) look if you feather the selection a little (0.5 px to 2 or 3 px depending on the size of the image and the item selected) before you delete the background. Plus, you will make your life SO much easier if you use a layer mask instead of an eraser. A lot of people avoid them because they seem complicated not realizing that it's really a lot harder to work without them.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 7:25:49 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
Once you have your selection you may find you get a more natural (less harsh edged) look if you feather the selection a little (0.5 px to 2 or 3 px depending on the size of the image and the item selected) before you delete the background. Plus, you will make your life SO much easier if you use a layer mask instead of an eraser. A lot of people avoid them because they seem complicated not realizing that it's really a lot harder to work without them.


Great advice!
colorwash
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 4:41:27 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 10,279
Location: East Greenbush
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
Plus, you will make your life SO much easier if you use a layer mask instead of an eraser. A lot of people avoid them because they seem complicated not realizing that it's really a lot harder to work without them.

I'd give up everything I do here and elsewhere if there were no masks. The unfortunate thing about masks is that it can take time for people to grasp, not just how a mask works, but also its inherent power.

For those who aren't completely comfortable with masking, this is specific to Photoshop, but a mask is a mask no matter where it's found: https://designshack.net/articles/graphics/a-complete-beginners-guide-to-masking-in-photoshop/
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 6:36:08 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
colorwash wrote:
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
Plus, you will make your life SO much easier if you use a layer mask instead of an eraser. A lot of people avoid them because they seem complicated not realizing that it's really a lot harder to work without them.

I'd give up everything I do here and elsewhere if there were no masks. The unfortunate thing about masks is that it can take time for people to grasp, not just how a mask works, but also its inherent power.

For those who aren't completely comfortable with masking, this is specific to Photoshop, but a mask is a mask no matter where it's found: https://designshack.net/articles/graphics/a-complete-beginners-guide-to-masking-in-photoshop/


In Gimp there is an invaluable tool I use to make my patterns pop called Unsharp mask which takes a blurry undefined image and sharpens it up and brightens the thresholds and is able to be fine tuned. It works better than the sharpen tool and I use it pretty often. Now I am determined to learn how to use masking for other things as well. As a self taught Gimp user I am always finding new possibilities but it can be slow going. Lots of trial and error. I plan to read your link. thanks Colorwash!
TinkerM
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 6:56:45 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 6,044
Location: BROOKINGS
I use Adobe fade in soft edge frames feature but it works only on light background shirts.

Have been able to do some amazing fade outs with it without sharp edges or cutouts Not sure if Gimp has this feature but most do.

I sell a lot of t-shirts this way, but again have to set them to light only.






colorwash
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 8:22:40 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 10,279
Location: East Greenbush
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
In Gimp there is an invaluable tool I use to make my patterns pop called Unsharp mask which takes a blurry undefined image and sharpens it up and brightens the thresholds and is able to be fine tuned. It works better than the sharpen tool and I use it pretty often. Now I am determined to learn how to use masking for other things as well. As a self taught Gimp user I am always finding new possibilities but it can be slow going. Lots of trial and error. I plan to read your link. thanks Colorwash!

Photoshop has Unsharpen also. I never go near the "regular" Sharpen tool because it's like using a sledgehammer on a tack. Whenever anyone mentions various Gimp functions, I wonder just how the programmers managed to not get into trouble with Adobe. Why? Because it seems Gimp grabbed Photoshop, fiddled with it, remade it, and then they shouted, "Hallelujah!" LOL
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:46:14 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
TinkerM wrote:
I use Adobe fade in soft edge frames feature but it works only on light background shirts.

Have been able to do some amazing fade outs with it without sharp edges or cutouts Not sure if Gimp has this feature but most do.

I sell a lot of t-shirts this way, but again have to set them to light only.








looking good!
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:50:29 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
colorwash wrote:
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
In Gimp there is an invaluable tool I use to make my patterns pop called Unsharp mask which takes a blurry undefined image and sharpens it up and brightens the thresholds and is able to be fine tuned. It works better than the sharpen tool and I use it pretty often. Now I am determined to learn how to use masking for other things as well. As a self taught Gimp user I am always finding new possibilities but it can be slow going. Lots of trial and error. I plan to read your link. thanks Colorwash!

Photoshop has Unsharpen also. I never go near the "regular" Sharpen tool because it's like using a sledgehammer on a tack. Whenever anyone mentions various Gimp functions, I wonder just how the programmers managed to not get into trouble with Adobe. Why? Because it seems Gimp grabbed Photoshop, fiddled with it, remade it, and then they shouted, "Hallelujah!" LOL

Laughing Gimp started as open source for Linux but maybe the coders were buddies or something? I am just glad Gimp exists because I couldn't then nor can i yet afford Photoshop... and Paintshop pro almost crashed my old laptop...this desktop could handle it now but why waste all the time I have spent to learn what little I know about using Gimp? BTW, Gimp reminds me of Paint shop pro a lot!
tjustleft
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:11:15 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 2,102
In gimp I've seen a bunch of tutorials showing how to use mask then paint over the image with black or white. For me the mask is hard to see through and a pain to change the opacity of so I just skip the mask and use the eraser. It's basically the same thing mousing, or pen tool if you have a graphics tablet, over the design with a brush.
TinkerM
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:41:30 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 6,044
Location: BROOKINGS
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
TinkerM wrote:
I use Adobe fade in soft edge frames feature but it works only on light background shirts.

Have been able to do some amazing fade outs with it without sharp edges or cutouts Not sure if Gimp has this feature but most do.

I sell a lot of t-shirts this way, but again have to set them to light only.








looking good!

Thanks the effect is soft and blurs out nicely and add several layers also, simple to use.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:52:32 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
tjustleft wrote:
In gimp I've seen a bunch of tutorials showing how to use mask then paint over the image with black or white. For me the mask is hard to see through and a pain to change the opacity of so I just skip the mask and use the eraser. It's basically the same thing mousing, or pen tool if you have a graphics tablet, over the design with a brush.


Understand! I have done it that way too even with an opaque eraser to fade the edges...but I may try to use the mask over and see if I am missing something. and in the case of the original post if the mask finds the edges for you so as to leave minute details like the hair of the dog...lol... then it would greatly simplify the process!

My generation will get the reference to the hair of the dog...and why it made me laugh.
StarvingArtist
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 5:06:28 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 5/29/2012
Posts: 343
Just something to consider...Adobe's Creative Cloud, photographer's version (which gives you both the Photoshop and Lightroom programs) is only $9.99 a month (it comes as subscription only). It might be worth it for you since it is such a powerful tool. I can't speak to how Gimp performs in comparison, though.

Here is a good tutorial about your question on how to remove background from hair/fur. Maybe this can help you, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e0l_Wa27Eo
tjustleft
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 5:56:32 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 2,102
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
My generation will get the reference to the hair of the dog...and why it made me laugh.


Would you be referring to the Nazareth album or song maybe? I had that one back in the 70's. Actually I had that one on cassette or was it eight track.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 6:08:00 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
tjustleft wrote:
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:
My generation will get the reference to the hair of the dog...and why it made me laugh.


Would you be referring to the Nazareth album or song maybe? I had that one back in the 70's. Actually I had that one on cassette or was it eight track.


reel to reel... ? Laughing no really vinyl. and very good, you win! Laughing
Al Mount
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 6:09:49 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: Member, ProSeller

Joined: 7/28/2009
Posts: 643
Location: Located everywhere on the Planet but physically in
This is the program I use.

https://clippingmagic.com/
colorwash
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:29:46 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 10,279
Location: East Greenbush
Al Mount wrote:
This is the program I use.

https://clippingmagic.com/

How does the cost of it compare with software you buy and is yours for life? It's something I've wondered about with "rental" software ever since Adobe instituted it.
Barn_Door_Designs
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 2:10:57 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 2/1/2017
Posts: 4
Location: Scituate
Did you know that you guys are great!! And I don't mean like Tony the tiger great, I mean taking time out of your busy creative lives to help a green bean out is great!! I am actually taking notes on all this. Thank you so much!!Laughing Love
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 3:33:44 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 4/12/2015
Posts: 1,970
Location: El Reno
Barn_Door_Designs wrote:
Did you know that you guys are great!! And I don't mean like Tony the tiger great, I mean taking time out of your busy creative lives to help a green bean out is great!! I am actually taking notes on all this. Thank you so much!!Laughing Love

Roses Grin

colorwash
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 4:32:23 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 10,279
Location: East Greenbush
Barn_Door_Designs wrote:
Did you know that you guys are great!! And I don't mean like Tony the tiger great, I mean taking time out of your busy creative lives to help a green bean out is great!! I am actually taking notes on all this. Thank you so much!!Laughing Love

It's called "paying it forward." We all started out greener than green, and we all had others help us grow. A day will come when you'll be able to do the same.
Al Mount
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 1:54:41 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: Member, ProSeller

Joined: 7/28/2009
Posts: 643
Location: Located everywhere on the Planet but physically in
colorwash wrote:
Al Mount wrote:
This is the program I use.

https://clippingmagic.com/

How does the cost of it compare with software you buy and is yours for life? It's something I've wondered about with "rental" software ever since Adobe instituted it.

This is so much easier than the "eraser" type software,
You put a green dot on want you want keep and a red dot on what you don't. then an algorithm figures out the border.
When I first started using it I paid $4./mo. ,but I used it so much I had to upgrade to $7./mo..
Where it really comes into play is when you use the tool "show all white as clear" it tends to washout color. This program saves the completed image as a .png file and the colors are much more vivid.
I think you can make a couple for free to see if you like it.

I have never used Adobe, it was always too expensive years ago.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded