Do transparency issues only occur on dark clothes?
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 7:20:13 AM
I know that for dark clothing the print process puts down a white ink first, and therefore transparency doesn't always work well. Are there any other products that experience issues with transparency/low opacity? I have a design I want to put up that will have a water color background, so in some areas the background of the product will show through. This is an example of what I'm talking about, as the background color seeps through the water color, which is what I want.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lieyvziivM1oaKkXyhjjh_QUS9igrUxj
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:23:08 AM
Same technique with the underlying white ink applies also to the (optional) new printing process on some light shirts and also to the new glasses. Don't know about other products, there may be other ones (most support fully alpha channel transparency).

You want to make sure, your transparent PNG have clean outlines with minimal antialiasing and no partial/fading alpha channel transparency on their outer side. Vectors are safe.
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:30:11 AM
Your image will not work as intended on stuff with additional white underlayer. I would get rid of these semi-transparent spots within your background anyway, you may get ugly results on some item surface colors, when printed directly on them with no white ink sublayer.
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:42:20 AM

Use 8-Bit PNG and you should be good with transperancy on dark shirts. 8 Bit works like halftone. And if you are not entirely sure use halftones in the firstplace and have control of every aspect. Though it can get time consuming.

I prefer the quicker 8 Bit PNG method.
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:48:26 AM
Thank you both for the suggestions!