Difference between business and profile card?
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 12:08:47 PM
I recently sold a couple packs of business cards which were apparently transferred to profile cards. Looking through the descriptions Zazzle has given, it appears a "profile card" is no more than a generic term for a business card that isn't directed toward an appointment, referral, loyalty, are other such special uses for the cards. In other words, I designed and sold a business card.

Would a customer gain anything by somehow designating a different use for a card, getting it transferred to the same paper and size that it's already on? How on earth does this happen?
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 12:56:32 PM
Very good question! I noticed that in addition to business cards not only do we have profile cards, we now also have calling cards. I'd love to know the difference between each card type and what information customers typically expect on each card type. It's great that customers can transfer designs, but maybe if we better understood the differences and what customers expect, maybe they wouldn't have to transfer.

I also wonder which card type customers buy more often? Do they search for calling cards more than profile cards? Or profile cards more than business cards? Or...? It's all quite confusing. At this point I'm wondering if it's best to post one of each card type?
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 2:22:21 PM
I checked the transfer-to choices the customer has for the business card, and the only profile card appears to be the magnetic one. Looking at how many the customer ordered and the price they paid, it's obviously not the magnetic one. They seem to have transferred the business card to a business card. Are all business cards for businesses now called profile cards?

I am SO confused!
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 4:41:49 PM
Happened to me too and I was also confused.

And now they're cutting shirt selections (though I seldom make any) because of too much choice? THAT combined with profile cards and business cards being the same thing (too much choice?) makes absolutely no sense to me.
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 3:42:07 AM
Zazzle's explanation of a Business Card is that it's a small card "bearing business info about a company or individual..."

Explanation of a Profile Card is that it's "a generic catch-all for miscellaneous content. If you don't see your use case featured on this list, you can publish your design here." But that's when publishing. If a customer is transferring a design, are they forced to make a department/category choice about which they're likely to know little?

I ran through all the possible choices, pretending to do transfers, and none of them called themselves "profile" cards, not even the magnetic card.
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 3:52:28 AM
Seems to me going by the name of the card “profile card” that this would be a card with your social media links on it. But then I am trying to apply logic here. But if I had to guess that would be my best guess.


Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 3:59:17 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Seems to me going by the name of the card “profile card” that this would be a card with your social media links on it. But then I am trying to apply logic here. But if I had to guess that would be my best guess.

That's what the designer might do, but in this case, it's a customer having somehow transferred this...

...to what? And how did the customer decide to not call it a business card? Are customers capable of changing the category? If so, how does this benefit them?

Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 11:02:27 AM
Hey!

Business cards and profile cards are pretty similar, mostly differing in their intended usage.

Profile card is a generic ‘catch-all’ for miscellaneous content. This could be a card simply containing a persons name and basic info, and does not always have to be business or work related.

Business cards are more specific; they usually include the giver’s name, company or business affiliation (often with a logo), and contact information, such as phone numbers, addresses, emails and social media links etc.

The main difference is how the card is used Grin
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 11:06:14 AM
But David, the question here is not how we as designers designate the card's usage. This is a case where it appears a customer transferred my design from a business card to a business card and then somehow told Zazzle it would henceforth be called a generic profile card. It's just plain weird.
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 11:18:18 AM
Colorwash wrote:
But David, the question here is not how we as designers designate the card's usage. This is a case where it appears a customer transferred my design from a business card to a business card and then somehow told Zazzle it would henceforth be called a generic profile card. It's just plain weird.


I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have brought it up several times.

Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 7:55:00 PM
Colorwash wrote:
But David, the question here is not how we as designers designate the card's usage. This is a case where it appears a customer transferred my design from a business card to a business card and then somehow told Zazzle it would henceforth be called a generic profile card. It's just plain weird.


My apologies, Colorwash, I misunderstood your point/question and threw this thread off track, so David ended up answering my question, not yours. I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent at all.

If I understand your point/question correctly (and I still may not, it's been a long day!) my guess is that the customer did actually transfer it to a profile card, not a business card. I tried it by clicking on the "Transfer this Design Beta" which took me to the blanks page. I typed in "profile card" in the search box then scrolled down and found a paper (not magnetic) profile card which I then transferred the business card design to. I don't think there's any way a customer could've transferred a business card to a business card and then told Zazzle to call it a profile card. The system designates the product name based on the product chosen, so the customer would've had to choose a profile card not a business card.

I don't know what the benefit of doing this would be unless your profile card is less expensive than your business card. If your prices are the same, maybe the customer removed or changed some information and for some reason thought it had to now be a profile card. As you said, it's all very strange.

Of course, none of this matters if I'm still misunderstanding your question. If that's the case, please accept my apology for causing David to not answer your question and just disregard everything else I said!

P.S. Thank you, David, for answering my question, I really appreciate it.
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 7:58:57 PM
What's in a name? A 3.5x2-inch piece of paper by any other name...

Maybe Profile Cards were on sale that day. We don't know how sales work - well, someone does, just not me - so maybe by transferring, they got a better deal that day.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:10:02 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
What's in a name? A 3.5x2-inch piece of paper by any other name...

Maybe Profile Cards were on sale that day. We don't know how sales work - well, someone does, just not me - so maybe by transferring, they got a better deal that day.

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

@Pawsitive - And therein lies the question: How could a customer have transferred the design to a product not listed for transfer? The only thing I can figure is that, for some peculiar reason, the customer transferred the design to another of the 3.5 x 2 inch cards that are listed as Business Card, but unbeknownst to us, one of those several identically sized and priced templates is called a Profile Card under the hood.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:06:33 AM
Colorwash wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
What's in a name? A 3.5x2-inch piece of paper by any other name...

Maybe Profile Cards were on sale that day. We don't know how sales work - well, someone does, just not me - so maybe by transferring, they got a better deal that day.

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

@Pawsitive - And therein lies the question: How could a customer have transferred the design to a product not listed for transfer? The only thing I can figure is that, for some peculiar reason, the customer transferred the design to another of the 3.5 x 2 inch cards that are listed as Business Card, but unbeknownst to us, one of those several identically sized and priced templates is called a Profile Card under the hood.


Are you saying that even if you go through the exact same process I did, you can't see the profile card? If so, that is very strange. My guess is that the customer did exactly as I did, typed "profile card" in the search box, found it just as I did and then transferred it. For some reason the customer must've specifically wanted a profile card. As RoyK said, maybe they were on sale that day.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:52:46 AM
PawsitiveDesigns wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
What's in a name? A 3.5x2-inch piece of paper by any other name...

Maybe Profile Cards were on sale that day. We don't know how sales work - well, someone does, just not me - so maybe by transferring, they got a better deal that day.

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

@Pawsitive - And therein lies the question: How could a customer have transferred the design to a product not listed for transfer? The only thing I can figure is that, for some peculiar reason, the customer transferred the design to another of the 3.5 x 2 inch cards that are listed as Business Card, but unbeknownst to us, one of those several identically sized and priced templates is called a Profile Card under the hood.


Are you saying that even if you go through the exact same process I did, you can't see the profile card? If so, that is very strange. My guess is that the customer did exactly as I did, typed "profile card" in the search box, found it just as I did and then transferred it. For some reason the customer must've specifically wanted a profile card. As RoyK said, maybe they were on sale that day.

Why would a customer type "profile card" into the search box? It's not a very common term for a business card.

Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:19:50 PM
Colorwash wrote:
PawsitiveDesigns wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
What's in a name? A 3.5x2-inch piece of paper by any other name...

Maybe Profile Cards were on sale that day. We don't know how sales work - well, someone does, just not me - so maybe by transferring, they got a better deal that day.

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

@Pawsitive - And therein lies the question: How could a customer have transferred the design to a product not listed for transfer? The only thing I can figure is that, for some peculiar reason, the customer transferred the design to another of the 3.5 x 2 inch cards that are listed as Business Card, but unbeknownst to us, one of those several identically sized and priced templates is called a Profile Card under the hood.



Are you saying that even if you go through the exact same process I did, you can't see the profile card? If so, that is very strange. My guess is that the customer did exactly as I did, typed "profile card" in the search box, found it just as I did and then transferred it. For some reason the customer must've specifically wanted a profile card. As RoyK said, maybe they were on sale that day.

Why would a customer type "profile card" into the search box? It's not a very common term for a business card.



Now THAT is the million dollar question, trying to understand how others think, hear and see things! It's pretty clear, by how divided this country is, that people don't always think the same or see and hear things the same. I agree with you, I don't think "profile card" is a common term for business cards and I wouldn't search for it unless I had a specific reason for wanting a profile card. It's likely the customer didn't realize it's the exact same product as a business card, it's just called a profile card. It really could be something as simple as the profile card was on sale. It's really impossible to know why people think, see, hear, say and do the things we do, we're just all so unique. But, if anyone could ever figure it out, maybe the world would be a better, kinder, gentler place.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:21:02 PM
Colorwash wrote:

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

I just did a Transfer, typed "card" in the search box. There are 5 pages of results. I did CTRL + F and typed "profile," and there are 3 Products called Profile Card on the first page.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:57:16 PM
So I typed into Google... "what is a profile card"

and it seems the rest of the world has a very different definition for the term.

https://www.pinterest.com/flexewebs/profile-cards/?lp=true
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:23:42 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
So I typed into Google... "what is a profile card"

and it seems the rest of the world has a very different definition for the term.

https://www.pinterest.com/flexewebs/profile-cards/?lp=true

Google is showing you the tech version - website profiles of people related to a the site's business or members of the site. I would never think to print one of those.

These - IMO - are the kind one would hand out to share personal information, links to websites where both parties may be registered, for example, in lieu of exchanging business cards, because their relationship would be of a personal nature explicitly.

Gosh. That got wordy. Sorry. lol
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:24:35 PM
Like this: https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_css_profile_card.asp

"How to code a profile card." Stuff ya didn't know ya didn't need to know. ;)
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:10:07 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
So I typed into Google... "what is a profile card"

and it seems the rest of the world has a very different definition for the term.

https://www.pinterest.com/flexewebs/profile-cards/?lp=true

Google is showing you the tech version - website profiles of people related to a the site's business or members of the site. I would never think to print one of those.

These - IMO - are the kind one would hand out to share personal information, links to websites where both parties may be registered, for example, in lieu of exchanging business cards, because their relationship would be of a personal nature explicitly.

Gosh. That got wordy. Sorry. lol


that is what I thought too, like a business card with your social media links...
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 3:28:09 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

But there's no option for a "profile" card when performing a transfer. I tried it, and it wasn't there, which is why I questioned how this could have happened.

I just did a Transfer, typed "card" in the search box. There are 5 pages of results. I did CTRL + F and typed "profile," and there are 3 Products called Profile Card on the first page.

Do you think a customer will do what you did? And if so, why would that customer do it? My question remains, and it's specific to the card for which the transfer occurred: Why would a bladesmith deliberately go out of his or her way to change the designation from business card to profile card? How would they even know to deliberately run a search for a different name for the same product? To what end?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded