Designers: new print areas on some products may crop older designs - Zazzle: are lines accurate?
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:35:14 PM
Little warning for designers:

Several products such as blankets, shower curtains, gift boxes (even greeting cards if I remember well) etc had no bleed/print and safe lines in the designer area time ago. So, what you saw in the designer print area got printed.

Now they have (at least the ones I've checked so far). This is good for new designs but may crop older designs. Some bleed areas are small, others are pretty tall. If you have older elaborated designs on such items, such as fitting borders, copyrights and text near the edges, image details up to the edges etc you may want to check these designs to make sure they still look OK and nothing important has moved out of the new green safe / blue print area and gets cropped. The small fleece blankets got pretty huge bleed areas that crop a lot of content around the edges:

Another issue I stumbled over is related to the shower curtains. The designer area got new bleed/print/safe lines (there were none before), but the previews show the old - full - area, including the area in the bleed zone that shouldn't get printed.

Question to Zazzle: are the new print delimiter lines inside the designer accurate? In other words, can we rely on what the designer tells us in regards to the print area? Taking the curtain as example, which print area is correct, the one in the designer (what I assume) or on the previews? It would be good, if the previews were all updated (the fleece blankets are fine and show the design inside the print zone), but it's not a huge issue if not. What only matters is the accuracy of the designer.

these are only the ones I stumbled over while testing around and making my templates. There are probably more.

Thanks!
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:51:37 PM
It's probably not new, but the bleed areas on pillows have changed depending on the fabric type. So if you design for a polyester pillow and "fill", it will not go out to the lines on a cotton pillow. I only noticed today, as it broke a few of my old pillows.
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:25:00 AM
Polenth wrote:
It's probably not new, but the bleed areas on pillows have changed depending on the fabric type. So if you design for a polyester pillow and "fill", it will not go out to the lines on a cotton pillow. I only noticed today, as it broke a few of my old pillows.

We are facing here 2 different issues that are not related to each other.

The "Fill" property not correctly resizing the image to the full design area after changing the item's size through the dropdown outside the designer and reentering the designer is a technical issue that happens on many products (not all to the same extent, and some work correctly) and that I've reported months ago with respective advices on how to fix it. This incorrect behavior is more and less accentuated, depending on the item size selected when you use the Fill property in the designer. Sometimes you have to design at the small size to get it work better on taller items, other times you have to design at the medium or tall size. It's a big mess that could be easily fixed with some code enhancement.

In the case of the pillows, this issue applies now even after changing the material type, not only the pillow size. That's a technical problem. I've tested around and I've found out that you have to use the Fill property on a Polyester 16x16" pillow to get it work at least in a decent way (it's not 100% accurate) on all square sizes and materials.

The designer's tip in the description states that you have to add 0.5" bleed, both to the 16 and 20" pillows. I've created 2 correct templates (16x16 and 20x20), resized them correctly and put them over the respective designer templates and the designer's bleed area/blue print lines are incorrect (bleed area is significantly larger).

Wanted to show it with screenshots, but busy with rescues and work, and the tech team at Zazzle won't listen anyway. I hope I explained the issues well without having to use visual evidence.
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:05:24 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
We are facing here 2 different issues that are not related to each other.

They're both issues related to a design that used to fit in a design space no longer fitting, because lines have been added or moved since the creation of the product. This is different to the issue of things resizing oddly on a size change. For pillows, it looks like the bleed lines were moved on some fabrics, meaning old products have the wrong bleed. For other products, bleed lines were added when there were none before. So they're different issues, and also related, because it's about the problems caused when the design space changes size after a product is published.

(Which all comes down to wishing we had a way to edit products, rather than having to remake them every time this happens.)
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:13:19 AM
Polenth wrote:
[quote=PetsDreamlands]
They're both issues related to a design that used to fit in a design space no longer fitting, because lines have been added or moved since the creation of the product. This is different to the issue of things resizing oddly on a size change. For pillows, it looks like the bleed lines were moved on some fabrics, meaning old products have the wrong bleed. For other products, bleed lines were added when there were none before. So they're different issues, and also related, because it's about the problems caused when the design space changes size after a product is published.

(Which all comes down to wishing we had a way to edit products, rather than having to remake them every time this happens.)

I hear you with the fitting design no longer fitting due to the new (way) smaller print space cutting out significant design content around the edges. Having that issue with a shower curtain where I added 2 golden stripes on top and bottom, making sure they were well positioned. Now they fall both into the bleed area with a tiny stripe over the blue line that will look odd on the print. With the result I'll have to redo it (and yep, design editing would be handy in such cases, I understand the reasons they don't allow it, though). Here (note: the previews still show the old, full design area without bleeds, you have to enter the designer to see the issue):
https://www.zazzle.com/dog_and_kitten_embedded_in_red_roses_shower_curtain-256053818803400673

Don't get it why a fabric change at same size causes different bleed. The print process is the same and the description says clearly add 0.5" bleed. This on all sizes and materials. IMO it's a parameters problem, probably wrong data entered.

The Fill property not working correctly when loading the design at a different item size is plain and simple bad coding. A simple procedure on load resizing the filling image properly to the full designer canvas size would do the trick. That's no magic at all, no idea why it doesn't work properly.

The designer is overall a great tool for basic works and less experienced users, but as soon as you want to work in a professional way (as I use to, as graphic designer), it can become a real nightmare.

Thanks God I'm still in my testing and preparation phase and didn't create many designs yet. I feel lucky, especially considering all these new changes. Btw. that's also the reason why I'm ranting that much - trying to get at least some nasty things fixed, before I really start getting productive Grin