Custom Afridrilles - Questions / Design Tips 15 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 6:49:19 PM
One piece of advice (and I don't guarantee it will help you avoid rejections):

Try turning your art every which way in the designer, and observing where it falls on the shoes. If you find a position that's iffy, maybe try a different piece of art.

I've only made a few, and apart from the one still under review, all have been accepted so far. For the post part, I'm shrinking the design way down and tiling it to form a pattern.

I find it strange that the art shows up as being so huge on the shoes when initially placed - way bigger than what I would expect.

ETA: And in light of all the rejections / stuff being pulled after initially being published, no way am I going to try my all-over abstract art on them. I did say earlier I would, but no. Started to, and realized it would be a wasted effort.
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 7:01:57 PM
There has to be a glitch in the system... I am remembering how at the beginning there was a problem with the approval process that caused a delay...

I am wondering if it was really fixed or not. Could that be what is going on here?

I was looking at the striped designs in the MP to see if maybe my stripes are just too big... I saw no less than 5 other pair that have pretty big wide horizontal stripes so it makes no sense why mine should be rejected.

I also saw at least 3 other pair of watercolor abstracts like my green ones, same type of art that was approved which is what made me think mine would be acceptable.

Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 7:05:43 PM
🌼Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
There has to be a glitch in the system... I am remembering how at the beginning there was a problem with the approval process that caused a delay...

I am wondering if it was really fixed or not. Could that be what is going on here?

I was looking at the striped designs in the MP to see if maybe my stripes are just too big... I so no less than 5 other pair that have pretty big wide horizontal stripes so it makes no sense why mine should be rejected.

I also saw at least 3 other pair or watercolor abstracts like my green ones, same type of art that was approved which is what made me think mine would be acceptable.

I'd say so.

JAMES C, please, what is it with this inconsistency and double standards. See page 7 to 9 of this thread.

·△·
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 7:42:34 PM
Vivendulies, your red damask is a classic wallpaper pattern and should have passed.

just like my pink and blue fractal filigree patterns,

The pink one passed from the start the blue ones were rejected and then when I scaled the tile down they were accepted, but my teal and purple ones were rejected both times... ???? All three were a variation on the same fractal design.

We really need some answers!

Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 10:20:41 PM

and here is an example of a big striped patterned art that was not approved... This design is simple stripes and it matters not which colors go where on the shoe.

I've just had two similar striped designs as these rejected, I called my ones color block stripes. I've had loads of thinner stripe designs go through. Thick stripes are a problem, then?
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:12:21 AM
TabbyGun wrote:

and here is an example of a big striped patterned art that was not approved... This design is simple stripes and it matters not which colors go where on the shoe.

I've just had two similar striped designs as these rejected, I called my ones color block stripes. I've had loads of thinner stripe designs go through. Thick stripes are a problem, then?

I agree with what Vivendulies said. I thought the same thing. It seems like my repeatable tiles that were resized more than the others are going through. But the ones that I don't resize as much before tiling are being rejected.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:08:54 AM
The following is what I posted August 3, 2019 in this thread:

"I think the Afridrilles are great and work well with patterns and all over print. I have no problems designing on them and even submitted a design I knew would be rejected due to the fact that it was not a pattern nor an image that would work well with all over print due to parts of the picture getting cut off and also taken into consideration the wide range of shoe sizes the image must be able to fit.

All the designs I submitted were accepted, except for the one mentioned, which I did as a test. I received a notification by email which appears to be canned wording for rejected designs. The shoe with the rejected design remained in under review longer before it was finally automatically deleted by Zazzle.

I like the challenge of designing on odd shapes and I am accustomed to designing all over print shoes, clothing and accessories that sold in the past few years before Zazzle started making so many changes to the website. As a professional published designer who creates original handmade crochet items, I am very selective about my designs I choose for Zazzle products and how fitting they are for the products. The Afridrilles are actually easier to design than the ZipZ shoes and not only did I sell ZipZ shoes previously, but one of my designs was chosen for the previous ZipZ maker's banner on Zazzle.

Although the selection for colored tee shirts are a still a lot less, it finally feels like Zazzle is getting back to paying more attention to textiles. The Afridrilles are different than some of the ZipZ shoes because they are ALL all over print, plus they are for a great cause. The description for ZipZ shoes mentions replaceable tops but never had just the tops as a choice. So you actually have to buy at least 2 pairs of the ZipZ shoes to have replaceable tops. I like the fact that the Afridrilles are reviewed for quality control and from what I have seen in the marketplace so far, it seems like Zazzle is on the right track for these handmade shoes."

The only reason I re-posted the above comment is due to the fact that there are so many comments and images here, that the thread has become extremely long, so my comment tend to get lost and I wanted to add the following new post link to it:

See also:
Zazzle's Description for Afridrilles on Product Page ???
https://forum.zazzle.com/feedback/zazzles_description_for_afridrilles_on_product
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:56:29 AM
I had stripe patterns that were approved last week.

Now all the stripe patterns I created on Friday are rejected. I guess striping isn't an all over pattern suddenly?

Dang...they were nicer, too. I purposely moved the pattern all over the shoes when creating them, to see if they would still look coordinated no matter where the pattern ended up, and was pleased with each one. I was thinking about buying a pair.

Yeah, I think I'll give this product a rest for awhile.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:45:04 AM
Westerngirl wrote:

Now all the stripe patterns I created on Friday are rejected. I guess striping isn't an all over pattern suddenly?

Dang...they were nicer, too. I purposely moved the pattern all over the shoes when creating them, to see if they would still look coordinated no matter where the pattern ended up, and was pleased with each one. I was thinking about buying a pair.

Same thing happened to me. I had a tiled thick stripes repeating pattern approved last week. Then I made a second pair, same pattern with a different color and it was just disapproved. The same stripes pattern with simply a different color background. Would love some clarification on this.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:36:50 AM
The Dancing Pelican wrote:
Westerngirl wrote:

Same thing happened to me. I had a tiled thick stripes repeating pattern approved last week. Then I made a second pair, same pattern with a different color and it was just disapproved. The same stripes pattern with simply a different color background. Would love some clarification on this.

I am guessing that this has a lot to do with who is approving these at any given time. There must be a team assigned to the approval process. The decisions seem to differ, possibly based on who's on. I guess the standards are open to interpretation. Just a guess.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 7:40:13 AM
I still think that the approval problem from the beginning hasn’t been properly fixed. It is making me doubt that it’s even live people doing it.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:27:37 AM
Good news on the wide stripes pattern that was initially rejected by Content Review. I sent a request for clarification to Content Review explaining that the design was an all-over pattern. They responded quickly in my favor and asked me to resubmit the design for approval.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:18:27 AM
Here is a pair that got rejected the first time. I replied to the email they said to resubmit and then they were approved the same day.

@shelli

I had no problem with these fractal shoes getting approved and feel yours should have been approved also. Did you reply to the rejection email?

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:53:32 AM

Coleen, respectfully, I wasn't really all that irritated until they started pulling already approved shoes from the marketplace which breaks affiliate links, and I had already promoted a whole bunch of everybody's approved shoes.

I had to backtrack and get rid of several dead links and I am not sure I got them all, but yes that was irritating and consequently I am hesitant to promote any but my own from here on out.

I realize you like to champion for Zazzle but you didn't quite understand what I was really upset about if you think it was just the review process.

I'm sorry you felt I was singling you out for something, Shelli. I was not. I've been following this thread with much interest, watching the inconsistency in designs that are approved & rejected, considering the different speculative theories people are putting out on why this may be so, heeding the surprising info that some are being pulled later after being approved, and taking mind of Zazzle's lack of official answers yet. My own speculative theory is that Zazzle themselves isn't sure of what's what yet and they pretty much told us that from the beginning so working up a bunch of designs that may be rejected or worse, approved and then pulled, causes one needless frustration. I personally would rather just sit back and wait for it all to shake out. I apologize if that came across as offensive to anyone.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:07:04 AM
Arrgh! My turn: I forgot to turn off customization, and I can't remember all the steps I went through to create the design. I wish they'd either have it turned off by default or, at the very least, add a warning.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:10:19 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Arrgh! My turn: I forgot to turn off customization, and I can't remember all the steps I went through to create the design. I wish they'd either have it turned off by default or, at the very least, add a warning.

That would be helpful. I had some rejected, replied to the email. They said they changed their mind and to resubmit but I couldn't remember exactly how much I had scaled down the design and rotated it before tiling it with the mirror image so I couldn't recreate them exactly like I had submitted them the first time.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:12:51 AM
Colorwash wrote:

It should be in your safe as and all you need to do is open it in the designer and click done again and add title, description and tags all over again and this time don't forget to tick off "No".

·△·
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:15:53 AM
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

It should be in your safe as and all you need to do is open it in the designer and click done again and add title, description and tags all over again and this time don't forget to tick off "No".

·△·

No, it isn't in saved designs; it's in the "Under Review" section where we aren't allowed to do a blessed thing other than wait.

EDIT: The first time I clicked the "duplicate" link, it threw an error, but I just tried again and it worked.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:31:57 AM
Colorwash wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

·△·

No, it isn't in saved designs; it's in the "Under Review" section where we aren't allowed to do a blessed thing other than wait.

EDIT: The first time I clicked the "duplicate" link, it threw an error, but I just tried again and it worked.

Sorry, thought it was already rejected. It takes 15 min according to shelli to be able to duplicate it. I haven't stopped the time ... but I have "shoot - option still yes" - duplicate submissions. It happens.

Grin
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:35:51 AM
I guess they'll have to deal with two identical designs. They'll probably reject the uncustomizable one to get back at me. Grin
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:04:46 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I guess they'll have to deal with two identical designs. They'll probably reject the uncustomizable one to get back at me. Grin

@Colorwash
I duplicated many that I forgot to switch to off. they approved the right one and rejected the wrong ones... I deleted them after that.

@ AngelandSpot
I havent replied to the emails... I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks!

I am happy to hear that some of you have had luck with getting them approved!

@Coleenz
I also apologize for being touchy! Love your plan will be much less stressful than mine has been Smile

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:06:00 PM
I'm still waiting to hear back from content review about my one approved then rejected stripe pattern. Maybe I'll just contact them again.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:11:43 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I finally got around to making some and submitted 2 pair and I am hopeful they will pass muster before I spend the time on making others that I will need to use the same design method on. I do have some icons that I made myself out of my hand carved stamps that I can tile and/or scatter randomly. So I will try one of those too to see if it passes.

These are what I submitted today using my abstract art cropped and mirrored from the middle of the design canvas. I hope that trick works for me and they don't interpret it as needing specific placement. To me it does not.

So I am assuming if these appear in my backend that they were approved. That means splitting my abstract design and mirroring on each side did the trick for me. That might be something to try for those with abstracts that don't get approved. I'm going to try more that way at any rate. I did not try stretching the whole design across the canvas because that caused some of the shoes to look very different from each other within the same pair. Just my preference though.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:20:18 PM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
[quote=MelroseOriginals]I finally got around to making some and submitted That means splitting my abstract design and mirroring on each side did the trick for me. That might be something to try for those with abstracts that don't get approved.

I did that. Not all were approved. I am beginning to think the approval process is based on the taste of the reviewer because nothing else makes sense.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:27:32 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:
[quote=MelroseOriginals]I finally got around to making some and submitted That means splitting my abstract design and mirroring on each side did the trick for me. That might be something to try for those with abstracts that don't get approved.

I did that. Not all were approved. I am beginning to think the approval process is based on the taste of the reviewer because nothing else makes sense.

Well, that figures in light of reports of the same design in different colors where one gets approved and the other does not. I just missed it if you said it in this thread.

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:29:23 PM
I agree, think it may be "luck of the draw". I was able to get this pattern approved today, but it was rejected when I submitted it Friday.

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:30:08 PM
Well, the design I submitted twice, once with Customize and once without, appears to have been accepted--twice! Both are now in my products listing and both have the customize button. I'm afraid to delete one of them in case it's the "right" one, the one that will have customize turned off.
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 1:40:59 PM
This Afridilles video (posted earlier in the forums) shows how they have a block of fabric from which to cut. It appears to me, depending on their template areas, it's possible to get two cuts from the same block of fabric when the appropriate pattern design allows ~ this provides an extra profit margin for the Ubuntu ladies! I'm guessing that's why an all-over pattern with minimal placement works best.

ETA: Wait! ~ After rewatching, it looks like a slim area for them to fit the sizes on! Wonder how they could get more mileage out of the fabric, I'm sure they have it figured out!

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:09:20 PM
118 approved and now waiting for my collection to reappear so i can promote them. that is my stopping point i think for now, unless i have to do 2 more to get an even number for my OCD Grin
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:24:00 PM
The original Afridrilles have simple colors and are screen printed. How will the shoes that we’re designing be printed, and where?