A word to the wise...
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:31:10 AM
Concerning the new waterproof stickers;

I recently had some made for my lip balms that I sell through my Ivy and Bat label. The quality of the sticker itself is great. The printing on the other hand, there are a couple things to remember.

1. These stickers are not as big as they look in the preview. Something I am concerned about with customers, a better in situ image would help that.

2. Be careful on your colors and fonts. Any smaller typeface (in my case the ingredient list) will all but disappear.

3. The gamma on their printer seems to be turned way up, so if you think your design is just right, lighten it up anyway, or it will never be seen.

EXHIBIT A:

And the original design;

The Z team was kind enough to give me a refund on these so that I can tweak the design and reorder now that I know the issues. I just thought I would give everyone else a heads up if they are designing these.

Love Tabz
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:56:35 AM
Good to know. Thanks.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:07:55 AM
Thank you for sharing that Tabz!
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:43:56 AM
You're welcome Grin

I'm going to flip the color scheme and see if that helps with the printing. I also chose a bolder print for the ingredient list so maybe that will help too. *Fingers crossed*

I do like the glossy look of these better than the Avery labels, but if I can't get the printing the way I want it, then I will be forced to go back to the address labels.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:53:36 AM
May I ask what size each yours work out to be?
I just ordered a big sample sheet for myself a couple of days ago and my mom and sister both got some for a laptop and tumblers. All were the glossy transparent so I will get to see how my designs look on various surfaces. I’m really hoping they are good because I don’t want to have to upload designs specific to the stickers. I’m testing mine on my drink tumblers and my back car window and I have a couple to play with that I’m not sure what I will use them on.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:15:56 AM
Tabz Jones wrote:
You're welcome Grin

I'm going to flip the color scheme and see if that helps with the printing. I also chose a bolder print for the ingredient list so maybe that will help too. *Fingers crossed*

I do like the glossy look of these better than the Avery labels, but if I can't get the printing the way I want it, then I will be forced to go back to the address labels.

Do NOT buy it with this design. The labels are 1.5" in size, you will never be able to read the ingredients. Ever. Here, I made a screenshot of your design at maximum zoom out, then made it smaller again to get it to 1.5" on my screen. See yourself:

I had the same questioning with necklaces some time ago. I suddenly realized wzhen working with name templates... WAIT, these necklaces are SMALL! So I made that comparison picture, that clearly shows, that any text that isn't a large monogram on small necklaces gets completely unreadable:

When designing especially small items, always look at them at real size, zooming out or making a screenshot and resizing, using a ruler for measuring. This helps on greeting or business cards, too. Many designer use way too large fonts on them, to look good on the small previews.

ETA: in professional offset printing, the minimum good readable font size is 8pt. You can go down to 6pt, but that's already at its limits. If I remember well, the minimum font size required for the legal small print on commercial labels (e.g. grocery package, bottles etc) in the EU is 6pt. Zazzle's minimum is 4pt, but I found out, that the designer's font size doesn't always match the size you get in graphic design.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:22:46 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
I just ordered a big sample sheet for myself a couple of days ago and my mom and sister both got some for a laptop and tumblers. All were the glossy transparent so I will get to see how my designs look on various surfaces. I’m really hoping they are good because I don’t want to have to upload designs specific to the stickers. I’m testing mine on my drink tumblers and my back car window and I have a couple to play with that I’m not sure what I will use them on.

These are not the die cut, they are the new water proof labels (food and drink category).

@PetsDreamlands

Thank you for that example. I guess I will scrap that idea and go back to the address labels. I know they will print the way I want, I've been using them for years.

Oh well, live and learn Happy
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:34:23 AM
Tabz Jones wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:

These are not the die cut, they are the new water proof labels (food and drink category).

@PetsDreamlands

Thank you for that example. I guess I will scrap that idea and go back to the address labels. I know they will print the way I want, I've been using them for years.

You're welcome. I just saw, you use a 4pt font size. Definitely under the absolute minimum of 6 for readability. Your web address is even smaller. Consider my measuring hints - you will thank me later.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:43:52 AM
Tabz Jones wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:

@PetsDreamlands

Ok. Thank you. I forgot about those. There are so many new stickers now!
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:42:23 AM
-.-

Since I myself need reading glasses for quiet some time now, I usually don't go further down than 7pt and if I do use 7pt, I increase the letter-spacing a tat, so the readability is improved.

As to contrast ... I love the occasional low contrast but again I already have a diminished eyesight and hopefully this prevents me from having an unreadable contrast.

Thank you for the EU standard info. Good to know. Love

-.-
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:10:45 AM
vivendulies wrote:
-.-

Since I myself need reading glasses for quiet some time now, I usually don't go further down than 7pt and if I do use 7pt, I increase the letter-spacing a tat, so the readability is improved.

As to contrast ... I love the occasional low contrast but again I already have a diminished eyesight and hopefully this prevents me from having an unreadable contrast.

-.-

7pt is already very small, even with a good eyesight. Standard size on business cards is 9 for standard sanserif font and normal text. Small 7/8 font sizes should only be put on light backgrounds, while light text on dark background, especially if not white, should always be a bit taller and not too thin, too avoid printing issues. Same with low contrast.

You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure, but I think to remember it's 6pt, maybe 5.5, but surely not less. always a pain, having to write a mandatory Quo Vadis on a small package/bottle label.
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:56:17 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
-.-

-.-

7pt is already very small, even with a good eyesight. Standard size on business cards is 9 for standard sanserif font and normal text. Small 7/8 font sizes should only be put on light backgrounds, while light text on dark background, especially if not white, should always be a bit taller and not too thin, too avoid printing issues. Same with low contrast.

You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure, but I think to remember it's 6pt, maybe 5.5, but surely not less. always a pain, having to write a mandatory Quo Vadis on a small package/bottle label.

You'd be surprised how much a little letter spacing helps and yes I pick fonts that are suitable for small fonts in general.
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:12:22 AM
I wish they had a label that was 2" or 2.25, but you either have to get the 1.5 which is too small for a lot of things, then it jumps to a massive 3" which is too big/expensive.
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 7:58:53 AM
chefcateringbizcards wrote:
I wish they had a label that was 2" or 2.25, but you either have to get the 1.5 which is too small for a lot of things, then it jumps to a massive 3" which is too big/expensive.

Yup, this my problem as well. I solved the issue with my lip balm labels by turning them sideways on the large Avery label. It means I will have to cut each one in half, but that's better than a bad fit.

The perfume bottles and soap labels should print just fine.

* Thank you PetsDreamlands for the tip. I did what you suggested and checked everything at accurate size.

I can't wait to get to work on this project.Happy