Zazzle vs CafePress?
artistsspeakout
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:43:59 AM
Groups: Member

I know this one's been debated quite a bit but I wondered what the current state of play is.

Which is better and why?

I ask because I've been using CP off and on for a few years, putting in quite a lot of work into a couple of shops, and I'm thinking of giving Z a try.

One concern I have right away about Z is the time it takes for a product to show up in a shop. I applied an original design to a single t-shirt and was told it could take up to 24 hrs for it to appear. Why is that?

Thanks.
Specialeetees
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:02:38 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

artistsspeakout wrote:

One concern I have right away about Z is the time it takes for a product to show up in a shop. I applied an original design to a single t-shirt and was told it could take up to 24 hrs for it to appear. Why is that?

Thanks.

Because Z is a busy bustling vibrant place with 1000's of creative people working here. Grin

It shouldn't be a concern, just carry on creating and your products will appear as the system processes them. Products can appear in your store within minutes or a few hours. Z's system seems to work with a caching process that refreshes every so often, at busy times this can sometimes take longer.

As for one versus the other there's no comparison in my eyes. I earn my income here and chump change from my now woefully small CP store.
Adrella
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:10:38 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Hi there. I've started up here recently after being on CP too. My goal is to have both shops up and running simultaneously and hopefully generate some income from them both. I set up a new store at CP a few weeks ago and got my head around the logistics of it all in about 3 days. Here, after about a week I'm STILL searching for the questions I want answered - let alone the answers themselves, lol. I had no idea it would be so difficult. And, I'm someone who comes with a lot of webdesign and graphic art experience and 10 yrs experience with running my own websites. Anyway, after saying all that, I love everything Zazzle has to offer - it all looks very exciting to me because it gives you so many options. I can't wait to design my first pair of shoes - seriously. Smile And one thing I discovered is that it doesn't take 24 hours for your products to appear in the marketplace, I created something earlier and it only took about an hour for it to appear. Good luck with your store. Smile
artistsspeakout
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:25:51 AM

Well, Adrella, you say you love everything on Z but you sound a bit frustrated by it. It does all look very cool, I just hope it delivers.

I'm a professional graphic (and web) designer. Will artwork be well reproduced on Z products?
Adrella
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:33:26 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

artistsspeakout wrote:
Well, Adrella, you say you love everything on Z but you sound a bit frustrated by it. It does all look very cool, I just hope it delivers.

I'm a professional graphic (and web) designer. Will artwork be well reproduced on Z products?

Oh don't mind me, I probably sounded a bit grumpier than intended because I had to fill out my tax return today. xd

I'm sure the artwork will be reproduced just fine if the previews are anything to go by...I always create in 300 dpi (both here and at CP) just to be on the safe side.
Gina Lee Manley
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:47:15 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

artistsspeakout wrote:

Products show at a near immediate rate, unless you create Keds & Postage and those take time to appear due to needing to be approved first (holidays and weekends can sometimes make the wait time longer). Using Quick Create can cause your products to not appear for up to 24 hours. For me, creating one product at a time is much quicker than using Quick Create.
DoloresDesigns
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:04:14 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Just curious, why would a 24-hour period for product to show up be a concern?
dreamNwish_Photo_Art
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:38:09 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

artistsspeakout wrote:
I know this one's been debated quite a bit but I wondered what the current state of play is.

Which is better and why?

I ask because I've been using CP off and on for a few years, putting in quite a lot of work into a couple of shops, and I'm thinking of giving Z a try.

Thanks.

I've never been a part of CP as I compared the two by online research/reading posts from Zazzlers. I quickly realized that I'd like to try Zazzle over CP.

I'd like to add that when it comes to the 24hr wait time, I think that other than for postage and shoes, they say that so when people produce a product and they don't see it in their store immediately and freak out, they'll at least have the warning. Still, we'll get posts like - "Oh, my goodness! I created a product five seconds ago! Why can't I see it in my shop?!"

In some cases, like during the holidays or busy weekends, Zazzle may be a few minutes or a few hours slower with adding the products to the store. I imagine they do what they can, depending on how many people are working at the moment.
SusansZooCrew
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:42:42 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Zazzle lets you add as much as you want to your shop, CP lets you have one of each of one design. I did cp for a while but have wayyyyyyy too many designs to mess with that and wasn't willing to fork out for pro shop without seeing results.

Try here for lots of free tutorials: http://www.***url_under_review***/zazzletutor/index.html
surrealitee
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:05:52 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

As far as I know, many people (could be thousands?) left CP because of certain unexpected, one-sided changes in the way they conduct business and treat the participants. I believe these changes still apply. So, from that point of view, the state of play is as it was expressed in the endless discussions of that time: people like being treated decently and being able to control their profit percentage.

Personally, I wouldn't care if a product showed up in 10 minutes (which happens often enough) or 2 days (which has happened once or twice). I'm hoping to be able to offer them for years to come and a couple of hours don't make a difference.

What I would care about is that Zazzle's marketplace doesn't seem to attract as many sales as CP's counterpart -or so I've heard from ex CPers. Here, you do much better if you promote your stuff.

As far as printing quality goes:
I've never heard of CP's being thought of as better than Zazzle's. I have heard the opposite, though. Not on these forums (or on any other POD company sources, which could be equally biased) but on blog posts and articles from designers who compared POD printing.
Pixel Paint Graphics
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:33:49 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Sales from cp's marketplace will only earn you 10% of the retail price and not your full markup, you only get your full commission if it was a shop sale. Products in cp's marketplace have no link going back to the shop either as far as I know.

Because of zazzle's referral program, shopkeepers promote one another's products and stores. And like mentioned in one of the posts, you don't need to spend money to open a zazzle shop.
Ricaso_Graphics
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 11:58:49 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Zazzle = quality .. awesome employees who are actually willing to help .. easy to use interface .. more ways to earn including volume bonus and referrals .. awesome promotional tools .. its FREE .. incredible products and more coming all the time .. they lead the way in a lot of great ideas .. templates for customization for one .. where as others slowly copied and didn't do it very well .. it's TOTALLY FREE .. you get out of it what you put into it .. its FREE .. did I mention its FREE no matter how many stores / images / products you have? IT'S FREE

CP = Employees who ban you from the forum if you so much as have a word with Z in it Shocked .. only basic stores are free and you can have only 1 image per basic store .. where as with Zazzle where you get out of it what you put into it with CP you get a lowly 10% out of it what you put into it ..

Linda_MN
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:21:44 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

I recently ordered both paper prints and a canvas print from Z, also a black Tshirt. I can say that they all printed extremely well! I was very impressed with the quality of the printing. As an artist, I am not easily impressed, either! I have ordered business cards and flyers from Z last year and that quality was excellent! Sharp details, perfect color, great looking product!Grin
Mind Design Grafx
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 1:18:39 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Z is 1000 times better than CP in MHO. Everything Ricaso_Graphics said plus.

It took me a little while to get used to Z after coming from CP, but the shopkeepers here in the forum were/are the most helpful I've ever seen and I soon got the hang of things. I've done way better here than on CP.

Read the stickies in the forums, check out http://www.***url_under_review***/zazzletutor/index.html and

How to Zazzle - a beginners guide lots of useful information, links and tutorials all in one place.

Adrella
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 6:37:11 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Ricaso_Graphics wrote:
Zazzle = quality .. awesome employees who are actually willing to help .. easy to use interface .. more ways to earn including volume bonus and referrals .. awesome promotional tools .. its FREE .. incredible products and more coming all the time .. they lead the way in a lot of great ideas .. templates for customization for one .. where as others slowly copied and didn't do it very well .. it's TOTALLY FREE .. you get out of it what you put into it .. its FREE .. did I mention its FREE no matter how many stores / images / products you have? IT'S FREE

CP = Employees who ban you from the forum if you so much as have a word with Z in it Shocked .. only basic stores are free and you can have only 1 image per basic store .. where as with Zazzle where you get out of it what you put into it with CP you get a lowly 10% out of it what you put into it ..

Really? Good grief...didn't know that. Shocked I did read somewhere about the great 'exodus' of ex-CPers a few years ago, but I'm very late to the party here so it's all new to me. Very interesting happenings though... I've posted a couple of times over there but one thing I've noticed is that the forums are much livelier here, as opposed to CP. They seem very quiet over there... I even posted an offer of freebies if anybody wanted them (I also run a PSP tubes site where I offer royalty-free images) and didn't get a single reply. (btw, if anybody here's interested you're more than welcome to PM me for the link - I won't post the link as it'll violate the TOS here, but, I'll be happy to pass it on privately. Smile oh, btw, I think I finally got my head around posting a few basic things to the new store here...
http://www.zazzle.com/graphicallusions
It looks pretty crummy so far, I know....the categorisation leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm still working on it. Smile
clickinchic
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 6:39:17 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Hi Happy Looks like you've already had your questions answered, but I couldn't resist adding in one more vote for ZazzleHappy I have had a cafe press store, & love the way Zazzle operates sooo much more. If I'm not mistaken, In order to even be able to really customize your store front on CP, you have to pay for a premium account =S I didn't really proceed any further on it, because I didn't like that aspect of it, among the other reasons that were listed above. You can customize your store on Zazzle for free, and you really do have more options. I love their print quality, also.
Adrella
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:14:26 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

clickinchic wrote:
Hi Happy Looks like you've already had your questions answered, but I couldn't resist adding in one more vote for ZazzleHappy I have had a cafe press store, & love the way Zazzle operates sooo much more. If I'm not mistaken, In order to even be able to really customize your store front on CP, you have to pay for a premium account =S I didn't really proceed any further on it, because I didn't like that aspect of it, among the other reasons that were listed above. You can customize your store on Zazzle for free, and you really do have more options. I love their print quality, also.

Hi clickinchic. Smile Yes, I purchased a premium store at CP for 3 months to see how it goes. I liked having all the 'extras' that weren't available for the freebie store, like the customising etc. I guess I just assumed all the POD's operated in a similar fashion. I didn't know Zazzle was 100% free otherwise I probably would have started here first. I went to CP because I'd heard more about that than Zazzle - as I said I'm quite new to the POD world so am now just discovering there are choices out there. I believe there's another one called Red Bubble, which I'll have to look into to, because I've heard it's based in Australia (where I'm from).
avgsuperheroine
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 2:08:15 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I have one paid shop at cp and four shops here at zazzle. I was on cp for one year before the "great migration". The price drop over there was depressing. However, without much work or upkeep my marketplace sales on cafepress steadilly increase over time. I make about 4x there what I make here--and I have the same products and the same person writing descriptions and tagging, so I don't know what the difference is other than the site's own conversion and algorithms.

Here's my strategy:

I make designs for CP for the marketplace. This earns me money to buy equipment, pay for my graphics and run my website (and more).

I list designs for zazzle to promote on my site, and on squidoo and on my blog.

I use the zazzle zstore on my website exclusively. I will never ever promote using commission junction if at all possible. The referral program here is awesome. I don't copy and paste any descriptions from one store to the other, but I do use the same graphics for the most part.

I use squidoo to promote all sorts of zazzler's products using the text module. I do pretty well with that each month and I only have 30 lenses and have been writing seriously for two months.

I use zazzle to find images for my blogs.

If you want a place to drop some designs and let them sit and sell, I personally like CP (and pop for a shop--really, I make more in a day what it costs for the shop for a month). If you want to be a serious shop keeper, design a store, and promote your products on a blog or articles, you've got to be here. You can feel really confident about the products you're promoting, and you'll love getting adequately compensated for driving traffic.

sc0001
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 2:21:09 PM

Groups:

@avgsuperheroine,

really like your site - you're using Wordpress with the Zazzle store builder incorporated into it?

Steve.
avgsuperheroine
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:38:51 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

@sc0001
Sorry, I hadn't been on in a while.
Yes, I do use wordpress with the zazzle store builder. And the zstore helper plugin. Thanks so much!
eclecticdreams
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:34:06 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

On June 7th 2011 Cafepress sent out another Online Agreements Update that got people upset again. If you search Google for it you can find where people have shown what the agreement says on their blog.

For me it has made me decide to try to reach payout there (which I may not be able to accomplish since I make sales there so rarely) or spend what I have earned on something from them...and then leaving for good. I'm making December my deadline.
They just seem to be increasingly inhospitable over there...and I'm usually one to give people and businesses the benefit of the doubt and stick with them. But I'm not so inclined to do so with CafePress.
TreehouseCharms
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:57:33 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Zazzle is the leading company in ... yeah you can say gift and goodie selling business worldwide!

My wife and me never gave up on zazzle because we always found that it gives their contributers the best possibillities to represent their arts: A COMPLETE CUSTOMIZABLE HOMEPAGE FOR FREE ! ( while you have to pay for a far less advanced page at cafepress for which you have to pay a monthly fee) + many tips and possibillities to promote your arts (productlinks, flashpanels, blogpanels, etc, etc.).

My wife and me had basic shops at cafepress many years but now we terminated our account because of recent policy changing by cafepress. By changing their policies again, demanding more fees and disabeling copyrights from artists there was a strong feeling that cafepress is at it's end.

For us there is only Zazzle at the moment !
It is hard sometimes you have a long waiting time until the next sales show up but Zazzle is right now the BEST whats there in the moment Love

Andi of Treehouse Charms
Metarlas_Kitchen
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 5:00:57 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

TreehouseCharms wrote:

My wife and me had basic shops at cafepress many years but now we terminated our account because of recent policy changing by cafepress. By changing their policies again, demanding more fees and disabeling copyrights from artists there was a strong feeling that cafepress is at it's end.

For us there is only Zazzle at the moment !
It is hard sometimes you have a long waiting time until the next sales show up but Zazzle is right now the BEST whats there in the moment

Andi of Treehouse Charms

They disabled copyrights?
TreehouseCharms
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 5:22:26 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

well.. if I understood it correctly the new policies we should sign said that cafepress is allowed to do with our designs whatever they want, frankly speaking... seeing it this way we would have no copyright anymore on our designs.
eclecticdreams
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:52:56 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

One of the changes cafepress had planned to make to its new user agreement was "CafePress reserves the right to sell Products and/or Content from the CafePress Marketplace at its sole discretion for 3rd party feeds and set pricing." The part where it said "content" in particular made it sound like they could use our designs anyway that they want.
There was a lot of hoopla over this so cafepress did remove the word "content" and said they did not intend it to sound like they could use members design anyway they want. They basically want to sell products (with our designs) at other outlets such as Amazon.com and even sell products at bulk wholesale prices (although I don't know where). Anyway, you still own the copyright...but by using cafepress you are agreeing to give them a very broad license on that copyright.
cartoonacid
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:49:42 PM

I really like Zazzle so far.

But I'm open minded. There are some products offered over at Cafepress that isn't offered here and vise versa.
highaltitudes
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:25:14 AM

Groups:

As a shopkeeper on both, I'll add some observations.

The copyright thingy hasn't been that much of an issue for me, actually maybe a plus. Several dozen of my shirts appeared on Amazon.com and have sold more than a few. More channels = more sales but CP should have an opt out on the usage of our images.

Having stores on both sites can be a problem. I've seen where a design on Zazzle was viewed several times but sold on CP, at a cheaper price. Usually I put my images on a clothing item of high value first, like a $39 hoodie rather than a $12 T, to present it in the best light as possible. Since I don't like to make multiple designs of the same thing, usually my Zazzle designs show just once. Anyway, people price shop as people do and instead of going to the trouble of creating on Zazzle, they head to CP and find one already done. One thing where CP has it right.

I think the quality of clothing on Zazzle is superior as well as the glassware, although I was pretty excited seeing CP with new pint glasses, those will sell well.

The recent sticker addition to Zazzle of the oval stickers was a hit & miss for me. I like the individual European sized oval on CP and I sell the heck out of them there. At one time, I was in the top 250 in oval sales and that's saying something at that site for any product. During Nov & Dec I was selling a minimum of 30 ovals a day. I wish Zazzle would consider adding these nice vinyl singles as well.

My strategy now is to put my newer stuff on Zazzle first before moving it to CP as to take advantage of higher commission profit for a few months. The main strategy you need to keep in mind is to KEEP ADDING NEW PRODUCTS so that you show up in the searches on an even and consistent basis.