Uploading .ai files
toots77
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:13:08 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Hi, I have tried uploading .ai files but they show up as 1px x 1px in my images section, and cannot be increased in size when trying to place them on a product.

In order to get my new store started I changed the .ai files to png or jpg files, but I really would like to upload the .ai ones in the future.

Anyone know why this should be happening?

Zazzle does state you can upload .ai files, so what gives here Crying
Gothic Toggs
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:22:42 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 11/5/2008
Posts: 2,217
Location: Johnstown
Can I ask where you saw that .ai files were supported? there is nothing in the guide that says they are

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/imageguidelines

I use PNG files at 300dpi and usually somewhere around 5000 x 5000 px. This size is good for just about everything. Though I do use the templates for a few products, namely;

shoes
skateboards
speakers
binders
necklaces
ornaments
shaped stickers

these really do need the templates for image placement or you risk cropping key design elements Smile

Edit, OK I found it in the "Help" section;

http://zazzle.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/467

I'm not sure then. Sad

cartoonacid
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:39:56 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 5/18/2011
Posts: 64
Location: Edmonton
Perhaps try flattening the layers first before saving the file. If you have any text you may want to convert to outlines.

I work in Illustrator too but I just use the Export option and just save it as a 300 dpi png.
toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:36:46 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Thanks for the replies guys, I do know someone who has used .ai files for all her images, and she had no problems like me.

I've dropped her a note asking her to upload another file today to see if things have changed since she last uploaded, but she'll be in bed right now coz our time zones are like 7 hours apart.

@cartoonacid - wouldn't want to flatten the .ai files as some have used transparency, which will screw things up.

@ZAZZLE - You can come here on holiday any time - I'll even find you a place to stay really cheap Grin
sc0001
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:43:18 AM

Groups:

Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 2,430
.png files have transparency - will that help?

Steve.
toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:51:35 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Gothic Toggs wrote:


I use PNG files at 300dpi and usually somewhere around 5000 x 5000 px. This size is good for just about everything. Though I do use the templates for a few products, namely;

shoes
skateboards
speakers
binders
necklaces
ornaments
shaped stickers

these really do need the templates for image placement or you risk cropping key design elements Smile



I know this is off topic, but I'm a bit confused about this 'template' stuff. To me a template is something you can use that is editable, so I put template at the end of all my descriptions. Ummm, I now think I have got the wrong end of the stick here on Zazzle, and their meaning of template is something different.

Any short explanation would be most helpful to me, being a complete newbie to Zazzle. I've been here less than a week, so please do excuse my naivety right now.

toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:59:17 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
@sc001 - yeah, I have uploaded .png files but I was looking for the reason why my .ai files are not uploading properly, only at 1px x 1px when it does state you can use .ai files.

If I could use my illustrator images I shouldn't come up against any of the image size problems that sometimes seem to occur for some of the products.

I also notice that some products have to be like 150dpi and others at higher resolutions. When using .ai files it shouldn't be necessary to worry about resolution dpi's. Know what I mean. Anything that makes for an easier life, that's what I'm all about lol.
Gothic Toggs
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:03:34 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 11/5/2008
Posts: 2,217
Location: Johnstown
toots77 wrote:
Gothic Toggs wrote:


I use PNG files at 300dpi and usually somewhere around 5000 x 5000 px. This size is good for just about everything. Though I do use the templates for a few products, namely;

shoes
skateboards
speakers
binders
necklaces
ornaments
shaped stickers

these really do need the templates for image placement or you risk cropping key design elements Smile



I know this is off topic, but I'm a bit confused about this 'template' stuff. To me a template is something you can use that is editable, so I put template at the end of all my descriptions. Ummm, I now think I have got the wrong end of the stick here on Zazzle, and their meaning of template is something different.

Any short explanation would be most helpful to me, being a complete newbie to Zazzle. I've been here less than a week, so please do excuse my naivety right now.



Template can mean any customizable image or text fields that you add to your products, but it also means the guide files for each product, for size and shape. Which you can find here;

http://www.zazzle.com/mk/custom/guidefiles

For most products I use the either the basic dimensions of the guide file, e.i. skate boards are 2700 x 9900 px I believe or the "universal" dimensions I mentioned above (5000x5000 @300dpi). For others, like shoes, I use the actual Zazzle templates because it is so hard to get key design elements placed right without them. Odd shaped ornaments and stickers are the same way. What will fit great on a square sticker will be cut off on a star sticker.

Something with an all over pattern isn't going to need as much playing with positioning as a portrait or something equally "focused". So the rough dimensions would be fine.

Grin
sc0001
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:11:07 AM

Groups:

Joined: 12/3/2010
Posts: 2,430
@toots77,

Ah, of course!...Gotcha!

Steve.
Sensato
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 8:08:13 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 10/29/2008
Posts: 674
Well, I upload .ai files all the time. I just tried uploading five more. Tested one - the original was 12 inches wide - on a poster I was able to make it fill 52 inches wide. Looked great.

I don't flatten the images. Or really do anything after they are finished except upload them.

Sorry that probably doesn't help you, hopefully it was just a weird glitch.
LemonLace
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 8:52:37 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 3/11/2011
Posts: 57
The definition of template is
A model, pattern or guide to provide the structure for making copies or similar objects.

Supported file types:
PNG, JPG, PDF and Adobe Illustrator (AI)
http://www.zazzle.com/sell/designers/tutorials/fileformat
toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:08:54 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Ok, I scaled my .ai file to a larger size. In order to get it to work I had to take a 500px x 500px (2.1" x 2.1") size up to a 4000px x 4000px (16.7" x 16.7").

That's the only way I seem to be able to do it.

On my upload images page I can only just see what the design is, it is a small image in the middle of the big box where the full size image should be displayed. My png/jpg's fill the whole box so that you can clearly see what the images are.

This is baffling me somewhat!!!
toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 10:34:00 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Problem resolved

I was using a crop area of 500px x 500px but my artboard was set up at 14400px x 14400px. This was giving me the problem.

I resized my artboard to 500px x 500px and all is working fine now.

I have always worked to the crop area and have never had a problem before, so this is a learning lesson for me. Obviously Zazzle goes by the artboard area.

Hip hip hooray - I can now get on with submitting new designs and products Grin
Gothic Toggs
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 12:24:22 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 11/5/2008
Posts: 2,217
Location: Johnstown
toots77 wrote:
Problem resolved

I was using a crop area of 500px x 500px but my artboard was set up at 14400px x 14400px. This was giving me the problem.

I resized my artboard to 500px x 500px and all is working fine now.

I have always worked to the crop area and have never had a problem before, so this is a learning lesson for me. Obviously Zazzle goes by the artboard area.

Hip hip hooray - I can now get on with submitting new designs and products Grin


I'm glad you got it figured out and if this is any indication of what's coming, I can't wait to see what's new once you get more uploaded. It's gorgeous!!




Grin

Tabz
toots77
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 1:33:55 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Wow thank you Gothic for your comment on my christmas card Grin

I have a lot more xmas card designs but they are all square ones and won't fit on the greeting cards size on here.

That particular card you posted has got half of it chopped off to make it fit, but I can't do that with a lot of the others already designed, just wouldn't work.

Am frantically uploading and getting another category together, now that I can use my .ai files.

Haven't looked at your store yet, but will do once I've got this category up and running.
Gothic Toggs
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:04:03 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 11/5/2008
Posts: 2,217
Location: Johnstown
toots77 wrote:
Wow thank you Gothic for your comment on my christmas card Grin

I have a lot more xmas card designs but they are all square ones and won't fit on the greeting cards size on here.

That particular card you posted has got half of it chopped off to make it fit, but I can't do that with a lot of the others already designed, just wouldn't work.

Am frantically uploading and getting another category together, now that I can use my .ai files.

Haven't looked at your store yet, but will do once I've got this category up and running.


If most of your designs are square, I bet they'd look great on the square invites. You could set them up for office and dinner parties. Happy
artberry
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:54:42 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 9/25/2007
Posts: 2,758
Location: Cardiff
I had some problems uploading .ai files. But my version of illustrator is quite old and I normally use CorelDraw. However I've found the most reliable way to use vector graphics on Zazzle is to use PDF. In fact more recent versions of Illustrator use PDF encoding in any case and I've found it's possible to open .ai files in Acrobat Reader or even import them into other programs simply by changing the file extension to .PDF Smile

Of course the other advantage of using PDF is you can set it up with specific settings appropriate for Zazzle e.g. convert text to curves or only export the current page/selection etc. Thus automating the publishing process, creating cleaner, leaner files, for that Zazzling whiteness xd
eclecticdreams
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:54:58 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 11/7/2008
Posts: 193
Ooh, toots77 the Christmas cards you have up already are lovely!

And I'm glad this topic was brought up. I didn't know ai or pdf files could be used on Zazzle. I use Inkscape (which is a free vector art program) sometimes, so it would be interesting to create a pdf file with that and see how that goes.
Anderson_Designs
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:11:43 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Joined: 7/9/2011
Posts: 1,449
toots,
Glad you got your problem solved. I haven't been here on the forum much but I could have answered your question as I've been uploading ai files exclusively and I did notice the artboard thing. By the way, transparency seems to work great in ai files. I hope all of us newbies find more success than I've found at our microstock ventures. It is great being able to use all of the fx in Illustrator for a change.
-Linda
toots77
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:22:00 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
eclecticdreams wrote:
Ooh, toots77 the Christmas cards you have up already are lovely!

And I'm glad this topic was brought up. I didn't know ai or pdf files could be used on Zazzle. I use Inkscape (which is a free vector art program) sometimes, so it would be interesting to create a pdf file with that and see how that goes.


Thanks eclecticdreams, I've been busy putting some more of those cards up so I haven't been on the forum for a few days. As they were all originally square ones I've had to make some adjustments to the original files for them to fit properly - been a bit of a pain, but worth it in the end (if they sell)!!!

Yep, you learn something new everyday on here don't you. You can now try out uploading pdf files, that should work coz it says you can use those as well as .ai files.

Haven't looked at your store yet, but definitely will do tomorrow, it's late my end, almost 3.30 in the morning, so I'm off to bed in a mo.
toots77
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:34:03 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 7/10/2011
Posts: 27
Location: Tenerife
Anderson_Designs wrote:
toots,
Glad you got your problem solved. I haven't been here on the forum much but I could have answered your question as I've been uploading ai files exclusively and I did notice the artboard thing. By the way, transparency seems to work great in ai files. I hope all of us newbies find more success than I've found at our microstock ventures. It is great being able to use all of the fx in Illustrator for a change.
-Linda


Hi Linda - how great to see you in Zazzle's forum my friend.

Actually Anita and I worked together on that .ai problem via pm's on SS, then via emails. We got it sussed between us in the end. We were both stumped at first. I even sent her one of my files for her to upload and she saw exactly the same as I was seeing. We were really scratching our heads for a while.

Yeah transparency is brilliant, you can use that on SS as well you know. I haven't created any fresh designs for here yet so haven't been using all the fx features. I've still got plenty of ready made material I can upload here before I make fresh stuff. You should have tons as well.

Must get to bed, gotta get some sleep, can hardly keep my eyes open now.

Nite nite all.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded