RE: Pi Trademark 2 pages: [1] 2
Liz
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 1:32:50 PM
Groups: Zazzle Admin

Hello Zazzlers,

Thanks to all of you for your patience while we evaluated the claim we received regarding the trademark with registration number 4473631.

After reviewing the take-down request more closely, Zazzle has decided to restore “Pi” products as of today. Zazzle is a marketplace for a community of artists, and we want to continue to support artists who are creating original artwork.

Products are being reinstated literally right now, so it may take a few hours for the products to appear on the Zazzle site. For those of you whose products were affected, we especially appreciate your feedback and patience these past few days. Rest assured that no action is needed on your part for your products to be fully reinstated.

Thanks again!

Best,
Liz

The Hungarican Princess
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:25:05 PM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

To all ye of little faith! Zazzle...you are the BEST and this is why we are here- with you- promoting our products and making wonderful stuff for our customers to purchase on your site!
Thank you so much for your due diligence in resolving this issue in a timely manner. You have our backs! No doubt!
I am quite sure than MANY shopkeepers owe you a huge THANK YOU!
With love and hugs-
The Hungarican
Zizzago
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:35:44 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

We need a LIKE button !!!! Well done zazzle
Diva380
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:44:15 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I don't sell any products with the Pi sign on them, but that's great for those that do.

Now bring back the slip-on shoes (for adults) and then I'll be REALLY happy. Smile
mymittens
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:59:12 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Thanks Liz! You're the best!
Grin
nyxxie
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:00:36 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I don't have any Pi designs, but I'm so glad that it was resolved.
JerryLambert
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:01:06 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I never doubted you for a second Zazzle. Grin
aslentz
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:05:36 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Great news!! I don't have Pi designs either but really happy for those of you that do. Thanks Zazzle!!
TheArtOfVikki
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:07:41 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

YAY!!!
Grin
And I don't even have a PI design. Yet. *wink*

Liz, thank you, Zazzle Team, thank you. I am not going to comment on the legalities of what happened or the company that started the hoo hah. I will suggest that when things like this happen in the future, that the verbiage in the original notices to artists/shopkeepers be tweeked to "your product will be hidden while the situation is investigated" instead of "removed because of yada yada yada". Apparently the PI shirts were not deleted deleted, just moved to limbo, since they are able to be reinstated, so the change in wording might sooth nerves in the future.

So many SK's/designers were so upset these past couple of days and my heart ached for everyone, while at the same time I knew Zazzle needed to do due diligence for the company.

I just feel real happy right now. Smile

agitantclothing
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:12:33 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Well that was unexpected. Nicely done Zazzle. Way to stand up to the copyright troll.
levelasian
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 4:00:33 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Wow that's awesome! Thanks
Quidama
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 4:22:03 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Love YAYYYYY!!!
Thanks, Zazzle, for doing the right thing!

Liz, I'd like to second the suggestion to tweak the wording of the "violation notice" to clarify things a bit and maybe avoid some of the inevitable panic from designers receiving the notice.

I wonder if we'll notice a slew of new Pi designs being created now. Paul the Pi Guy may have unleashed the fury of the "Barbra Steisand effect!" Stick out tongue
Marian Cates
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 4:56:00 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I don't have any Pi products, but I salute you, Zazzle! Thanks, Liz.
Shari Laroff Sentlowitz
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:28:10 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Grin YAY! Thank you for listening to ALL of us!
ingasi
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:42:09 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

WooHoo! Happy Dance! Thank you!
bluntcard
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:53:48 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I just Trademarked PIE
monogramtees
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:57:57 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

YES..thank you so much. None of mine were taken down but I sell quite a few pi items. Happy
Wollastonite
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:59:09 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Thanks a bunch, Liz and Zazzle! I'm so glad things worked out for everyone's benefit.

bluntcard wrote:

I just Trademarked PIE

;)
bluntcard
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 6:02:27 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Grin
handcritters
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 7:18:36 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Roses Love Grin
IconDoIt
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 7:25:39 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Love Love Thanks, Liz and Zazzle, for standing up for what is right and not caving in to these trademark trolls!

While the "Pi" question for Zazzlers is apparently settled (for now) it is likely to be repeated for some other greedy copyright troll who decides to register the @ symbol or such. What I don't get about trademark registrations is, unlike copyright or patents, is that the US government apparently grants registration to whomever files for it first regardless of whether the filer (or their employee) actually created/designed the mark. But if someone merely takes a common, generic symbol, letter, or shape without adding any value to it, why should they be given the exclusive rights of ownership?

It will be interesting to follow the legal fall out of this as it has the potential of creating precedent setting law that can kill the motivation of such trolls who are intent on cornering a market that they didn't create by eliminating competition through unethical strong-arm tactics and attempts to create illegal monopolies. While I realize that to have such an impact Zazzle would have to fight it in the federal courts, but IMHO it would be time and money well-spent.

-
Leslie
Jez Kemp
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 7:47:21 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Thanks for the update Liz, and thanks to Zazzle for (finally) seeing sense and reinstating designs.

I would like to echo 2 issues coming out of this:

- That the communication Zazzle sent designers could have been a lot clearer. Designers had no reason to think that Zazzle's decision might be reviewed at all. And this assumes a review was going to take place anyway - which, without the uproar here on the forums and on social media, I'm not convinced was going to happen.

This situation is an excellent time to review the Content Review email which is sent out to designers if their work is disputed over trademark. If the design is temporarily pulled, as a larger move by Zazzle in response to a DCMA, and this decision will be reviewed by Zazzle, then the email should describe this from the outset.

- This is certainly not the last time something like this will happen. This was a clearly bogus claim in the first place, and whatever procedure Zazzle has for filtering bogus claims, it failed in this instance.

As an example, the man behind "Pi Productions", Paul Ingrisano, has a current trademark application for "I Love" (I can't switch off emoticons! I mean "I < 3"). The trademark currently, and will eventually, only apply to a stylised version of these characters - but if it is granted, he will no doubt use it to threaten sites like Zazzle again. I'm sure a lot of designs feature "I Love" and if this fiasco was repeated, that's another whole round of protesting and shouting that legitimate designers have to do just to get their designs back online.

Also note that the story is still creeping out into the internet, and Zazzle may still face embarrassment for their mistaken decision that pi is a registered trademark, even after rectifying it.
http://science.slashdot.org/story/14/05/30/1518238/zazzlecom-thinks-depictions-of-pi-are-protected-intellectual-property
https://twitter.com/DrRimmer/status/472576452085305345
MovieViewerMan
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 9:25:29 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Hooray for the little people! I don't have any Pi designs but I am happy for my fellow Zazzlers who do. Thanks Zazzle for standing up to the copyright trolls.
MasterpieceCafe
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 9:47:30 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Well done Zazzle!

And congratulations to all the Zazzlers affected by this frivolous take down order. So glad this ended the way it should! Smile Smile
TigerLynx
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:35:49 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

I'm happy to hear this too. Smile
Village Design
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:16:58 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Thank you Zazzle! This is excellent news. I don't have any PI designs, but there are far too many spurious "trademark" claims out there that have no real legal justification.
missprinteditions
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:34:15 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Delighted by this turn of events and what it signifies; thank you to all the articulate and conscientious protestors, thank you to Zazzle for resolving this in admirable fashion, and congratulations to all who are seeing their designs reinstated.
pixelholic
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:48:02 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

thank you Liz and Zazzle! Love
reflections06
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:16:55 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Once again, as we all knew already...Zazzle rocks.

Love Carla
Dementees
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:20:58 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Standing ovation for Zazzle for standing up to this trademark abuse. Unfortunately, this isn't the first and won't be the last time some trademark n@zi is going to buy a word or phrase that others have been using for ages and then declare it as their "intellectual property". This is a war and that was just another shot fired at all of us that Zazzle had the courage to deflect, but what about the next one?

Quote:
As an example, the man behind "Pi Productions", Paul Ingrisano, has a current trademark application for "I Love" (I can't switch off emoticons! I mean "I < 3"). The trademark currently, and will eventually, only apply to a stylised version of these characters - but if it is granted, he will no doubt use it to threaten sites like Zazzle again. I'm sure a lot of designs feature "I Love" and if this fiasco was repeated, that's another whole round of protesting and shouting that legitimate designers have to do just to get their designs back online.

I was trying to find some information on this but couldn't. Are you saying this Angry is going to try and trademark "I Heart"? I know there are trademarks for "I Heart NY" and many others, but if he's going after "I Heart" and if Zazzle accepted it and killed every product that uses that in their design, then that's devastation for a lot of people - myself included. Our only hope is that Zazzle has learned an important lesson from this and will continue to stand up to slimeballs like Paul Ingrisano and his misguided attorney.