QCPro Template Building Guide for Dummies 3 pages: 1 2 [3]
HightonRidley
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 10:45:39 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

Grin Ok, I got an alternative to the Poll gadget, all you have to do is send an email to qc-pro@highton-ridley.co.uk

You'll get an automated response that'll tell you where to download you free Chapter 1.

I you don't get it, check in your spam folder as it might end up there.

Much easier than the Poll gadget Smile

Happy weekends everyone (5 shirts to iron now, ready for Monday - hate shirts!)
alinaspencil
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 4:53:39 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

I was very excited to read the free first chapter of Highton's tutorial that he's working on. Even though I already know how to use Quick Create (and love it,) I am up for learning new techniques.

The guide is very well done and easy to follow. He starts with an overview, including what skills you will need to be able to follow along (minimal skills that everyone here probably already have,) followed by a list of what you will need to get started.

Then he has a flowchart, which I found too much to deal with at the beginning. However, after going through the entire first chapter, I went back and read it as a summary, and then it was not overwhelming at all, but helped me to be sure I understood everything I had just read.

The guide is chock full of screen shots, one for every single step of the process. (Although he didn't include the very first one--where to go to find the section you'll be working in. That's in My Account, under the Products tab.)

He even has circled the important areas in red, making it easy to follow along without missing something crucial. I also appreciate that he mentioned things like the fact that if you had sized your images correctly, they should fit perfectly once you have uploaded--tidbits like that which help in tutorials to be sure you are at the correct step in the process and that things are going correctly.

Beginners who have never made a template or used Quick Create will find this valuable just to learn those skills, even if you never go through the entire process he is going to show to pump out multiple products.

Those who already know how to use Quick Create will still get tips and tricks. I like the use of the 20% white page. I had never thought of that.

He also has put together a handful of videos (sprinkled with humor) and posted them on youtube, so that even if you don't get the guide, you will still be able to understand the gist of his process and can apply some of those principles to your own product creation flow. Yay!

Clearly a lot of work and thought has gone into the making of this tutorial, and it will help a lot of shopkeepers. Anything that cuts down on time and increases the number of products we can put out means a better chance for you to make a sale, which is a huge reason we are all here, right?

Excellent job, Highton. I'm planning to put some of your technique into practice very soon! Thanks for your excellent, hard work!

Alina
Alina's Pencil: whimsical words and pictures
MisTikkal
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 8:18:25 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

More help ... thanks Mark, just found the YouTube vids. Roses Roses Roses
LaurisB
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:24:49 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Got through Chapter 1 pretty easily. Interesting. Lots of detail. Extra tips along the way. Very nice. Now what? How do I get Chapter 2, etc ... ?
Myshelle
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 11:35:47 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Finally put my templates through QC,had to follow your Video.
Waiting with baited breath,while they are cooking.
HightonRidley
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 12:41:14 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Thank you Alina for such a great review! Roses
@MisTikkal: Glad you found them and that they helped Smile
@LaurisB: I'm really pleased you found it easy to follow and fed that back here - thank you Roses just check out the below for the rest...
@Myshelle: I hope your cooking turned out ok!

Ok, everyone can now buy the full guide (overview and 6 chapters) here:
http://razamazazzle.blogspot.com/p/qc-pro-greetings-card-template-building.html

The prices are set to an early-bird 50% discount - valid for 7 days.

I'll be monitoring this topic in case anyone has any questions etc.

A really huge thanks goes to my volunteers - without your help it would never have become such a well-rounded guide with appeal to both newbies and old hands at QC alike.

Thank you Roses Roses Roses
~~Mark (HightonRidley)

NB The UK VAT regime means I have to sometimes add 20% VAT - it doesn't apply outside of Europe, so customers in the USA (and the rest of world outside Europe) will get it at the $15 discounted price.
Myshelle
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 3:38:37 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Wow,that is a fantastic price,for the tutorial.The added extra is, that you make yourself available for help.Roses
Good Luck,Mark you deserve it.Roses

Forgot to say,my cooking turned out xd
HightonRidley
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:29:30 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Hey Mychelle - it can be a bit nerve-wracking waiting for the Quick Create oven to do its "cooking" so I'm really pleased for you that it turned out like you planned Smile

Well done to my "most improved pupil"!
Myshelle
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:24:43 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

HightonRidley wrote:
Hey Mychelle - it can be a bit nerve-wracking waiting for the Quick Create oven to do its "cooking" so I'm really pleased for you that it turned out like you planned Smile

Well done to my "most improved pupil"!

LOL Yes it worked xd
Slowly working on more now.
HightonRidley
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:49:53 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Just a quick reminder to you all, the 50% early-bird discount ends tomorrow so don't miss out on this powerful guide (I did another 100 father's day cards this morning, it only took an hour of my time!)

Get over to http://razamazazzle.blogspot.com/p/qc-pro-greetings-card-template-building.html and grab your copy at half price before it's too late!

Fully automated process - you could be working on it on within the hour!

It's worth it just for the hints and tips alone and even self-professed "dummies" are cool with it!
LaurisB
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:43:11 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

At what point in this process do the designs change from being available to the designer to change in order to use the template for other pictures and become not available for change by the customer (while leaving the text still editable by the customer)?
HightonRidley
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:14:00 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Hi Lauris,

A great question, thanks for asking!

If I've understood you correctly, you want to know when images go from being a template object to just another image.

In step 3, before you use Quick Create, they are still template objects.

Once you've used Quick Create (and used "Templates for sale" in the "Product Info and Pricing" screen), then the 'background' image (the one you replaced in QC) will no longer be a template object in each created product.

On the other hand, the image for the card front will remain a template object, because you left it alone in QC.

I hope that helps Smile
Cheers,
~~Mark (Highton Ridley)
HightonRidley
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:39:07 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Idea In the final stages of of my Quick Create template guide I show you how to speed up editing multiple products dramatically. Part of it is having lots of products open in different browser tabs and then using ctrl-tab to switch between them.

Stepping up a gear
If you're fed up with ctrl-tab-ing, there's a great companion to the guide called AutoHotkey (nothing to do with me, just one I found that came highly recommended).

I used it for the last 200 cards I created with the template set and it's really worthwhile.

Getting AutoHotkey
Windows onlyCrying
Download it from http://www.autohotkey.com/download/
(second link down, labelled "Installer for AutoHotkey Basic (1.95 MB)")

New keyboard shortcuts
Install it and then create a new Hotkey using the following two lines
Quote:
F1::
Send ^{tab}

This will make F1 do the same as ctrl-tab but it's much less awkward to press.

Here's another one (for F12 this time). It's one I used to paste an image-name into the description at the right place, then move to the beginning of the description, then type in the bit of the description (relevant to the image) for me and finally move to the next browser tab ready to do it to the next product:
Quote:
F12::
Send ^v^{home}A Napoleonic fort defending the eastern flank of Plymouth Harbour, England. Strength, courage, fortitude and endurance are characteristics of a great Dad, just like yours.^{tab}

An hour in the life of...
So I spend my time getting all the products open in new tabs, F1-ing between them to let me click on the edit link, f1-ing between them to get to the place in the description where I want to paste in the image name and then f12-ing to do the pasting, moving, typing etc.

It's a real joy to just sit there pressing F12 twenty times and watching all the activity happen. Another great timesaver that will save you oodles of typing / pasting / ctrl-tabbing! I can do 100 products an hour with the template set from the Guide and these two simple AutoHotkeys.

I wouldn't be without it now! ..And I'd love to hear how you get on with it, too.

PS I only have the hotkeys active while I'm doing the product creation with the Guide, as that's the only time I've found it to be useful so far... but you may find other uses that we'd all love to hear about, I know I would!

PPS If you're worried about viruses and so on, my laptop is heavily protected and hasn't reported any issues with it. So that together with the recommendations for it should reassure you.
HightonRidley
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 4:15:07 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Idea In the guide, I mention a great technique for "white-ing out" an image to make it fade.

Shocked If you don't know how to make the transparent image to use, you can download a 20% white transparent png file here:
http://highton-ridley.co.uk/tutorials/white-20L.png
(right click and "save link as" or click and then drag the resulting image to wherever you want it)

It's large enough (pixel dimensions) to be used on the largest of products. Its proportions are 7x5 to suit cards, postcards etc. and you can, of course use the "fill" option to completely cover products that use different proportions.
Grin

All you have to do is put a copy of it in a layer above the image that you want to fade. Keep on adding more copies until the image is faded enough.

Simple! Stick out tongue
Happy Zazzling All!

PS I'm going for a gratuitous over-use of smileys, how am I doing?
xd
Pretty_World
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:52:37 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

xd Grin xd Smile Grin xd Grin Smile xd

Doing good, Mark!
BisforBirds
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:34:16 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

I understand you are trying to make money selling your tutorials but i have found some major flaws...

to tag things with words because "someone who may like one thing may also like another" is spam. period. it fills the marketplace with invalid results that is a HUGE turn off to the customers. the tags should reflect ONLY that singular design that is being featured. if i want to search for a picture of a pear i do not want to see pictures of an apple just because someone who likes pears may also like apples. those types of tags are WRONG and they are HURTING the marketplace. even if i like apples and pears if i want to buy a pear i will search for "pear" NOT "apple". please stop teaching people to place incorrect tags on products which HURT zazzle and can and will be reported for tag spam & could cause a shop to be shut down for recieving enough violations of this policy.

also it seems to me a lot of the stuff in your expensive tutorials appears to be stuff taken from or identical to the zazzle supply information available FREE at zazzle university, and/or the bottom of the FREE zazzle community page and/or my FREE tutorials as well as the FREE tutorials and FREE videos that are linked from my FREE website!!!

www.***url_under_review***
HightonRidley
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:17:43 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

BisforBirds wrote:

..to tag things with words because "someone who may like one thing may also like another" is spam. period. it fills the marketplace with invalid results that is a HUGE turn off to the customers. the tags should reflect ONLY that singular design that is being featured. if i want to search for a picture of a pear i do not want to see pictures of an apple just because someone who likes pears may also like apples. those types of tags are WRONG and they are HURTING the marketplace. even if i like apples and pears if i want to buy a pear i will search for "pear" NOT "apple". please stop teaching people to place incorrect tags on products which HURT zazzle and can and will be reported for tag spam & could cause a shop to be shut down for receiving enough violations of this policy.

Hmmm... I'm not sure where you get that from as I totally agree with you about spam. I specifically advise about using very specific tags, not general "if they like this, they might also like" types...
Here are the tags I used as a result of following my own advice in my QCPro Guide:
fathers+day+cards art father's+day dad daddy pops sentiment prose fine+art fineart arty art artistic fthrsdy framemecard fancy+font father's+day+card+wishes father's+day+verses sports sporting sporty outdoor+sports fishing sport+fishing game+fishing fishing+dads live+to+fish fishing+obsessed fishing+mad fishing+crazy hooked+fish landing+fish fighting+fish caught+fish fish+hooked seafront coast beach+huts winter sunset felixstowe concert monochrome black+and+white hrmon205
Btw, a concert is the right word for those "steps" they are walking along.
(if you look inside you'll see why there are tags to do with fishing)

for this card:

BisforBirds wrote:
also it seems to me a lot of the stuff in your expensive tutorials appears to be stuff taken from or identical to the zazzle supply information available FREE at zazzle university, and/or the bottom of the FREE zazzle community page ...

None of it is taken from anywhere, it's all original material. I imagine that there have to be similarities though, if two tutorials are covering the same ground. Maybe this has thrown you?

I have a good few years of being a trainer and I'm told I have a real knack for explaining things in such a way that folks can understand - my secret is in anticipating where (some) folk will have difficulty and then taking care to give that part of the material special attention.

The other thing I do is not to teach by rote, but to explain the whys and wherefores, following the motto that if you feed a man a fish, you'll feed him for life; teach a man to fish and he can feed himself.

I believe strongly that you get what you pay for and everyone who has reviewed my final guide - even self-professed dummies - have only had praise for it (so far, anyway!). And with the money-back guarantee if not completely satisfied (just like Zazzle), folks have voted by not asking for a refund.

So rather than being expensive, I'd suggest that it's value for money. The various hints and tips included are my own discoveries and invention (drop shadow text for template items for one) or my own explanation and demonstration of some of the more sophisticated stuff, known by the old hands at Zazzle. They're worth a small fortune by themselves!!

I think highly of your opinion, Shoppa, and admire the assistance you provide to all and sundry on this forum. It's a shame that you seem to have been a bit off base about the tagging... and the price, and the source!
Smile

Respectfully,
~~Highton Ridley
HightonRidley
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:27:11 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Idea I've been thinking about this on and off during the week, and I realize that you've given me a great opportunity here, Shoppa...

For anyone that might have been put off by Shoppa's response, I'm giving you the chance to check it out for yourself....

Today and for 24 hours only (from the time of this reply as shown above - which is 2:30pm here in the UK), I'm slashing the price by 80% - so that's $6 not $30 or £4.40 (inc VAT) not £22.

Click here to get yours now!

Or the first lucky 3 who email me via my store will get one absolutely free!

You be the judge! But in return, please do come back here and provide honest feedback so that others can be re-assured about its quality and value.

And Shoppa - email me via my store and I'll send you a copy for free so you can properly judge it.

I suppose I should also point out that I only charge for the guide - to date, my video tutorials, blog-based hints and tips etc are all free. Check my Razamazazzle blog for more:
http://razamazazzle.blogspot.com/search/label/tips

So thanks again for providing this opportunity, Shoppa Roses
~~Mark (Highton Ridley)
HightonRidley
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 6:20:48 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Sad I forgot that everyone in the USA is preparing for independence day celebrations - July 4th. Duh!

So I've extended the 80% deadline until 8pm GMT on July 5th so that everyone has a fair chance...

In the meantime you folks in the states have a great celebration tomorrow (me too, only 12 more months to go on my mortgage - exactly!!)
HightonRidley
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:28:02 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Ok, crazy mad price reduction is now over. Thanks to those who bought at the low price - remember to leave your feedback when you've had a play.

Thanks everyone, your support and private messages are really welcome!
Smile
~~Mark
HightonRidley
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 4:44:11 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Shocked Wow! Myshelle has written a really great squidoo lens about my QCPro Guide in which she recounts her experiences as well as doing a bit of a bio about me! (Picture here a shy, bashful smile from a typical Brit!)

Thank you so much, Myshelle Roses
~~Mark